Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:19 PM

19 posts, read 27,720 times

Advertisements

We are in a dilemma which, to the date, has been the most stressful one in our adult life...

Kids are 2nd & Pre K...Is it worth buying a big home in decent school district (Parsippany) vs decent home in Great School district (Basking Ridge)? Everything else remaining pretty much same...Budget around $750K, (preference to Parsippany is because of the commute to work but we are willing to add more)

Some of you might have gone already/recently through this process, so seeking your invaluable advise as this can only be learnt from experience... TIA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:25 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
this shouldn't generate a ton of posts by the usual suspects....

my quick opinion (all it is) buy in the better district if you can afford it, i.e. not buying a 1K sq ft 2 BR 1 bath home. Will help in resale and you're also buying your kids' friends....Ultimately kid will sink or swim from parenting and their own drive and abilities, but why not give him or her best shot and put them with others looking to thrive and follow a path. just my 2 cents from someone who grew up in a middle class blue collar area who watched most of his friends from the neighborhood accomplish little.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:28 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
That is really only a question you can answer. Because in NJ you're spitting hairs at some level, if a 8 or a 9 is worth it, when a NJ 4 would be a GA 10+. On top of that school rankings are going to fluctuate according to those in charge of the schools and how the assessments are made. On top of that there are great students in poor environments and poor students not doing well in great environments, a lot of it is up to them and what they do with the opportunities they are given.

Find the house that works for you for the location, amenities, and budget you can afford. And then give your kids every possible opportunity. It'll work itself out.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
how much do you love your children?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:18 PM

280 posts, read 339,197 times
It's also about the community. Parsippany doesn't really have a town center. You'll be driving to all your kids events. Basking Ridge has excellent schools, a small town center, and some driving around. Alternatively, Bernardsville (next to BR) also has excellent schools on par with BR but smaller, with a town center, and high walkability. Totally depends what you want for your family.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:32 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,652 times
My (likely unpopular) opinion is that there are kids who graduate from every school in the state who are terrific kids, and prepared for college and for life. There are also kids who graduate from every school in the state who are undisciplined, and not prepared for college and life. So much more of the outcome that you seek depends on what happens at home. If you were asking about buying a house in one of the lower achieving districts in the state, then that also potentially goes along with some widespread dysfunction within the schools, as well as socioeconomic difficulties in the community, crime, and other issues that you may want to avoid. However, since you are talking about good vs. great, I'd say to take a step back and look at the bigger picture (proximity to work, etc.) as well as where you are going to be happier, more relaxed, and among a community of people who you and your children will enjoy spending time and cultivating relationships with.

Last edited by NJmmadude; 06-05-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-05-2017, 01:40 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
As others have said, this is really a matter of personal preference and comes down to your personal opinion and what you feel comfortable with. If you were considering a "bad" school district vs a good one, I would definitely say go with the good. But since you are considering a good vs. great (great problem to have btw), and the only difference is commute time, go with the good. You will appreciate the extra free time not spent commuting and instead with your family.

Also, consider your own upbringing. Did you grow up going to top schools, and if not, did you turn out ok?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
So much more of the outcome that you seek depends on what happens at home.
but in the homes of the higher achieving town are parents that chose that higher achieving town for their children. so the real question becomes, what kind of parent are you? the one that sacrifices some home and commute for a great school or the one that doesnt sacrifice so much for the "good enough" school.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:51 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
My (likely unpopular) opinion is that there are kids who graduate from every school in the state who are terrific kids, and prepared for college and for life. There are also kids who graduate from every school in the state who are undisciplined, and not prepared for college and life. So much more of the outcome that you seek depends on what happens at home. If you were asking about buying a house in one of the lower achieving districts in the state, then that also potentially goes along with some widespread dysfunction within the schools, as well as socioeconomic difficulties in the community, crime, and other issues that you may want to avoid. However, since you are talking about good vs. great, I'd say to take a step back and look at the bigger picture (proximity to work, etc.) as well as where you are going to be happier, more relaxed, and among a community of people who you and your children will enjoy spending time and cultivating relationships with.
If I had the intelligence to write a post this articulate I would have as well. What happens at home is the most important factor, by far, in the life of student. Parents, do not sell yourself short. You are the essential point in the triangle of the student-teacher-parent partnership.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:21 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
I would pick the decent house in the better school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey