Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:47 AM

482 posts, read 729,002 times

Advertisements

Any others out there? And how do you do it? What are the options and costs? We are trying for a baby...

Wife, lawyer - Works 10 hours a day, plus 1.5 hr door to door commute on each end. Easier Fridays. Essex County to Downtown
Husband, high finance - Works 11-13 hours a day, plus 1 hr door to door commute on each end. Easier Fridays. Essex County to Midtown

His/her income are both high that it would not make financial sense for one to stop working. Working part-time from home is not really an option, as both jobs are very demanding, with regular meetings throughout the day. Nor could the pay likely be replicated in suburban firms, with easier commutes. So we are kind of 'stuck with what we got'

We have a retired MIL within 10 minutes, who could be fairly dedicated, but obviously we would need additional help.

We are thinking about slightly staggering our work schedules so the window of time gone is limited to 11/12 hours (8am to 7/8pm). I would like to think that there are many dual commuters out there that have similar schedules. I have read that there are a considerable amount of nannys in north jersey that do the 7:30-7:30 shift (60 hours a week), which is roughly $45k/year (seems light)

We live across the street from two doctors who work similar hours, and I think they have a nanny for 60 hours, and stagger their work time....We also have a finished basement with bedroom that is perfect for an au paire, however, there is only a half bath, and the window in that bedroom is your typical "basement" window, which may be an issue, not sure.

Any others in a similar situation?

What is the max hours in a day for a part-time nanny?
Max hours a week for a full-time nanny? Could certain days exceed 12 hours?
Max hours for an au paire?
Could you have an au paire in a finished basement bedroom, or are there limitations? The bedroom is across from a hallway to the outdoor hatch, plus the regular basement stairs, so there are two points of egress, plus the basement style bedroom window.

Last edited by JaRuss01; 06-21-2017 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:05 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Any others out there? And how do you do it? What are the options and costs? We are trying for a baby...

Wife, lawyer - Works 10 hours a day, plus 1.5 hr door to door commute on each end. Easier Fridays. Essex County to Downtown
Husband, high finance - Works 11-13 hours a day, plus 1 hr door to door commute on each end. Easier Fridays. Essex County to Midtown

His/her income are both high that it would not make financial sense for one to stop working. Working part-time from home is not really an option, as both jobs are very demanding, with regular meetings throughout the day. Nor could the pay likely be replicated in suburban firms, with easier commutes. So we are kind of 'stuck with what we got'

We have a retired MIL within 10 minutes, who could be fairly dedicated, but obviously we would need additional help.

We are thinking about slightly staggering our work schedules so the window of time gone is limited to 11/12 hours (8am to 7/8pm). I would like to think that there are many dual commuters out there that have similar schedules. I have read that there are a considerable amount of nannys in north jersey that do the 7:30-7:30 shift (60 hours a week), which is roughly $45k/year (seems light)

We live across the street from two doctors who work similar hours, and I think they have a nanny for 60 hours, and stagger their work time....We also have a finished basement with bedroom that is perfect for an au paire, however, there is only a half bath, and the window in that bedroom is your typical "basement" window, which may be an issue, not sure.

Any others in a similar situation?

What is the max hours in a day for a part-time nanny?
Max hours a week for a full-time nanny? Could certain days exceed 12 hours?
Max hours for an au paire?
Could you have an au paire in a finished basement bedroom, or are there limitations? The bedroom is across from a hallway to the outdoor hatch, plus the regular basement stairs, so there are two points of egress, plus the basement style bedroom window.
Dare I say....you're both gone insane hours. Can you not rework your schedules? 12 hours a day away from a new baby...

Old 06-21-2017, 10:10 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Sounds like you'd need to make the basement up to code, with two means of exit from the room itself. You might be able to move the door or something to put the hatch in the room, but you will have to check with your local codes.

The au pair is limited to 45 hours a week: https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/au-pair/

For that nanny you're looking at 20 hours of overtime and picking up their taxes, as they're an employee. You'll need to be very upfront about what you are asking of them and how much you'll be paying for that amount of overtime, but plan on being late every once and a while and build that into your pricing. I mean, it's like any other job, you outline the responsibilities and make sure you're covered with all the legalities and see what the market bears. That 45K is likely with overtime but probably doesn't cover the extra taxes you'll pay.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Dare I say....you're both gone insane hours. Can you not rework your schedules? 12 hours a day away from a new baby...
Well, I'm assuming there's about 3 months of both maternal and paternal leave if it's large New York firms, that'll get you six months down the road to see what is actually needed.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
We've worked pretty hard to get to those hours. Plenty of counterparts work far more hours

Old 06-21-2017, 10:35 AM

The finished basement bedroom has a door out to a 6 foot finished hallway. One side of the hallway has a door out to the main finished basement with stairs and half bath access, the other side of the hallway has a door to a small unfinished storage room (no mechanicals) with stairs out to the hatch. I would hope that removing the bedroom door (plus maybe the storage room door), would qualify. We just finished construction on the driveway, which required rebuilding and 'skinny-ing' up the bedroom window well to a narrower size...doh...

Just to confirm - you need to pay additional taxes to hire a full-time nanny, but you get a tax break on an au paire?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM

For the bedroom you should just call your local buildings department, they'll probably need to just have a look at it to confirm if this is a non-starter. It's less about people down there getting out than it is about a fully geared up firefighter making it down and out with someone over their shoulder.

Taxes depends entirely on the au pair, as some of them might have started on a student visa or other weird qualifier.
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...ayers/au-pairs

But again, they can only work 10 hours a day and 45 hours a week max. Which means if you need them for 10 hours a day you only get them for 4 and a half days. They'll also have to leave at the end of a year as well, which you might find problematic fr consistency.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
So you're comfortable never seeing your kid? Seriously, that's how it's going to be. When the kid wakes up in the morning you'll both be on your way to work. When you get home in the evening your kid will be in bed for the night. One of you needs to find a new job with less demanding hours. If nothing else, you're really going to miss your kid. You don't realize it now, but you will. I have two kids (ages 6 and 4). They both went to a home daycare from ages 3 months to 3 years. The longest we kept them there was from about 8am to 4pm. The woman that ran the daycare had one child there that was being dropped off at 6:30am and was not getting picked up until 7pm. She had to tell the parents that she could no longer watch that kid because it was unhealthy for the child to be away from his parents that long. This situation is really going to put a strain on your family life. I think you need to stop and think about what is most important right now- your career or your family.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:44 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
My cousin and husband don't work nearly as many hours as you do or likely make as much $, but they paid their nanny around 40K in Queens. 40 hours a week, and cooked dinner 5 days a week.

I assume you'd be able to get away with paying less if you provided room and board but am totally unaware of any specifics.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Oh FFS, stop being so judgmental. For all we know they have plans to quit in another three years and spend quality time with their kid until they're off to school and then go and work locally for a non-profit or something. Maybe the economy tanks and one of them loses their job and they're lucky enough to have socked enough away during this time. They'll find the balance that works for them as time moves on the same way every parent does.

You made your choices, there's no absolute decisions being made that they'll be in those jobs forever for all you know. Give them a chance to make their own decisions, I'm sure there are people that judge you for putting them in day care at all.

There's enough judgment leveled at every parents of every stripe. No need to add to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey