Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:45 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,551,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Close the windows. Why would you want to leave them open?
Fresh air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 PM

16,871 posts, read 10,521,161 times
I know someone who was just robbed. The burglar(s) entered through an open window and cut the screen. The owners were at work at the time.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 AM

354 posts, read 278,866 times
i live in what some would call a really nice town and i have to say, frightening things happen here too. not terribly often, but when something does go on, people are so shocked they go running to their doctors for a prescription. not kidding. anyway, no matter how "nice" there is always a chance.
that said, i have been known to run out and forget to close a window and i don't give it a second thought.

i suppose it depends on how long you'll be gone. quick run to the supermarket: i don't sweat it. but if i'll be out all day or (especially) a weekend i make sure everything is locked up.

when i was a kid we never locked the doors, windows. our german shepherd would welcome whoever came by with a yawn and then roll over and go back to sleep.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:23 AM

23 posts, read 29,954 times
It is a good decision to have a habit of closing windows as per safety is concerned. Even if the area is safe, you never know anyone from another area may find an opportunity!! You getting right?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 AM

32,828 posts, read 36,105,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
i live in what some would call a really nice town and i have to say, frightening things happen here too. not terribly often, but when something does go on, people are so shocked they go running to their doctors for a prescription. not kidding. anyway, no matter how "nice" there is always a chance.
that said, i have been known to run out and forget to close a window and i don't give it a second thought.

i suppose it depends on how long you'll be gone. quick run to the supermarket: i don't sweat it. but if i'll be out all day or (especially) a weekend i make sure everything is locked up.

when i was a kid we never locked the doors, windows. our german shepherd would welcome whoever came by with a yawn and then roll over and go back to sleep.
Our terriers would have bitten their ankles multiple times. They didn't like strangers--or squirrels.

When I lived in the really nice neighborhood with the pool, tennis courts, annual community picnic, two people were murdered. Just down the road. It didn't have anything to do with doors or windows, but I'm not going to take that chance.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:56 PM

989 posts, read 1,872,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You leave the house with your windows open?
Yes I do. I like the fresh air.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:11 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,769,851 times
At my old house I would leave the downstairs bathroom window open on nice days. It was too small for anyone to sneak through. I leave my garage window open, nothing of value in there except for some beverages in the fridge

Old 07-16-2017, 09:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,574,247 times
I live in Union and my area is relatively quiet. One night I was taking garbage out from my backyard and had my gate opened. I ran inside to do something. When I went back to the yard, a man was looking around. I yelled at him that he's trespassing and what business does he have. He looked frightened and said he was looking for his hat.

A few months later I saw his pic on Nj.com arrested for burglery.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 PM

32,828 posts, read 36,105,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
At my old house I would leave the downstairs bathroom window open on nice days. It was too small for anyone to sneak through. I leave my garage window open, nothing of value in there except for some beverages in the fridge
How small was it? My mother had a very small window over her kitchen sink, and someone managed to get in. We were quite surprised.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:44 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,769,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How small was it? My mother had a very small window over her kitchen sink, and someone managed to get in. We were quite surprised.
It was a small sliding window that was only able to open a few inches, i couldn't even fit my head in the opening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey