Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:01 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Actually a lot of towns do have programming for seniors including free bus rides.

In my mom's town they will pick seniors up, bring them to the senior center, have activities, feed them lunch, and drive them home. Which I happen to think is a great use of tax money if it encourages seniors to stay in town
And in my town/county? To the local grocery stores & shopping plazas as well.

Quote:
The Division of Transportation provides para-transit services to senior citizens (age 60+) and persons with disabilities (age 18+) for medical, employment , workshops, senior centers, and other destinations as pre-determined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
State law:

Quote:
students attending nonpublic schools who meet those distance requirements may also be entitled to transportation services
School Finance: Student Transportation

Old 06-29-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, I don't know anything about Lakewood and never claimed that I did, and before reading your post I just looked up New Jersey law on the subject of school busing and it seems that Lakewood is on the hook for transporting these kids unless someone changes state law, do you disagree?

In accordance with state law, N.J.S.A. 18A:39-1, all public elementary school students (grades K-8) who live more than two miles from their school and all public secondary school students (grades 9-12) who live more than two-and-a-half miles from their school are entitled to transportation. These students are said to live "remote from school." Whenever a school district is required to provide transportation to students attending regular public school programs, students attending nonpublic schools who meet those distance requirements may also be entitled to transportation services. In addition, any student classified with special needs who either meets these distance requirements or for whom transportation is required in the student's Individual Education Plan must be transported. School Finance: Student Transportation

It goes on to discuss other issues and states that schools don't have to provide transportation to 'for profit' schools, so I'm guessing all these schools claim non-profit status?

Have there been any efforts to change state law because if not maybe the state should be footing the bill for the school busing in Lakewood.
I want to revisit your post after doing a little more research on this subject.

The issue is with the "curtesy busing" of these children who live LESS than the 2 or 2.5 miles (depends on grade the student is in) from their schools in Lakewood.

But this affects both private and public school students.

Back in 2014:

Quote:
Parents of private and public students in Lakewood jammed the streets driving their children to school, as a form of protest against a state monitor’s recent decision to save $4 million by eliminating busing for the 2014-2015 school year. The cut applies to students in grades four through 12 living within 2.5 miles of schools.

The act was meant to demonstrate how congested streets would be if the cut is allowed to take place.
Lakewood protest over courtesy busing decision continues

Quote:
Without courtesy bussing, it would leave at least 60% of those students without bus transportation, thus creating enormous safety concerns for our students, who would need to walk to school on a daily basis. Carpool transportation would create gridlock, as has been seen on days when there is no bus transportation. Unlike previous days when there was no bus transportation and many schools closed for the day, all schools will be open. Not seeing a viable solution to this crisis at this time, we have accepted that the reality is to work within the limitations that are before us.

Therefore, we are giving prior notice to the township that on June 10th and June 11th, we are instructing all schools under our care to send their students to school by carpool. This will serve as a drill for parents, students, schools and the municipality to prepare for what would be a reality for the coming school year.
Read More: Lakewood protest over courtesy busing decision continues | Lakewood protest over courtesy busing decision continues

You have to understand that Lakewood is not a typical town in Anywhere, USA so this is not a typical issue in towns that provide busing for their private school students to their private schools.

My town has a population right over 60K. The population of Lakewood is over 100K. My town is almost 2x (square miles) size wise, that Lakewood is.

My town (along with pretty much every other town in NJ) isn't chock full of 130 religious schools in houses that educate (and apparently not very well) as little as 10-15 kids. We have 3 private schools. One Catholic K-8th, one private "forward thinking" school K-8th established in 2003 (that recently had quite a scandal involving a teacher) and if you have $1,700 to spare? You too, can send your child to this joke of a "private" school. We also have an independent private that is older than the country & is top notch. Somewhere in the $30-35K range per year.

Lakewood is, once again, an anomaly. It's been taken over by a religious cult (at every level) that uses every protection under the law that they can to avoid paying taxes as well as the goyim. Whatever, right? Their prerogative...but the majority of the cult are scammers & that IS why Lakewood (aka: Scamwood) is in the position that it is, and as another poster also pointed out.

I agree with you, the state should not have to kick in state tax payer dollars for bussing/busing kids to either private or public schools.

Then again, NJ has our Abbot school district nightmares that cost millions upon millions per year of tax payer monies... and it doesn't matter. They're the same **** holes they always have been no matter how much $$$ they are given.

Newark, NJ received a $100M gift from Zuckerberg to spend on the public schools in Newark. The idiots in charge (including Cory Booker) spent a good percentage of it hiring "consultants" to figure out where to spend it. Because they didn't "know" how to make Newark public schools better...after all of the whining about what they needed in "order to". Go figure.

You can't win in this state.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It could take 25 minutes to drive the two-mile leg of the trip down 14th Avenue due to the abundance of Orthodox school buses. I'm sure Lakewood traffic isn't any better.
Imagine if those school buses were cars...with 2-3 kids per car as opposed to 30-40 kids per bus.

Quote:
The private schools should pay for bus service.

Private schools aren't going to do that. Private schools aren't public schools that use tax payer monies to cater to their every whim.

What private schools WILL do, however, is provide transportation for a student & charge a fee above and beyond tuition but and ONLY if there are enough students in the area in need of the same.

Last time I checked? $5K+ per kid. My girlfriend looked in to it - the bus stop was a good 7 miles in the opposite direction from her house (also in the opposite direction from the school) & at a strip mall. Made no sense $ wise or time wise.

Last edited by Informed Info; 06-30-2017 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 09:02 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Ok so this is about courtesy busing. That would affect public and private school families although in Lakewood obviously that is more private school.

Courtesy busing is up to each town to decide as far as I know. I lived in a town once where I paid $400 bucks a year to have courtesy busing to the public school (we were just under the mileage limit). I thought that was fair and I was very grateful for it.

A lot of towns and cities have courtesy busing.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:48 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
The busing thing is exacerbated by the fact that the boys and girls have to ride separate. Having both genders ride the bus together is a sin, but stealing/fraud isn't. Oh the irony lol

Old 06-30-2017, 11:03 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
This seems similar to an NPR story I listened to regarding the East Ramapo, NY school board.
That is another large Orthodox/Hasidic community, so that makes sense.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
The busing thing is exacerbated by the fact that the boys and girls have to ride separate. Having both genders ride the bus together is a sin, but stealing/fraud isn't. Oh the irony lol
I went out to lunch one day during Hannukah, and there was a poster attached to the lightpole on the corner from a rabbi reminding everyone that although this is great holiday for getting together and playing board games, women should not be playing together at the same table with men who are not related to them, not even if the man is your brother-in-law.

There was a funeral/memorial chapel down the street with two doors on either side of the building, "Men Entrance" and "Women Entrance".

It's just how they are. When I went to the store, I had to put my money down on the counter, and the man working behind the counter put my change down on the counter. One guy at the bakery was pretty creative, though. Told me to hold out my hand and deftly dropped the money into my palm. One day at the deli I went to pick up my change too fast, and our hands accidentally brushed. The young guy behind the counter then proceeded to furiously wipe his hand on his pants to get rid of the goy/lady cooties.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
They're going to separate schools. Not a big deal

Old 06-30-2017, 12:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
There's a crackdown going on in Lakewood, there's been multiple FBI investigations going on there and arrests being made on fraudulent welfare and healthcare applications. I suspect corruption charges will be found in the town that assisted with approving these entitlements without verification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey