Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,596 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed that with the barrell of oil at record prices and with gas prices forecast to be close to $4.00 in the summer, how come I don't see/hear anything about what's causing this? I mean, yes, I know the US is very dependent on oil, but come on....don't tell me that we're consuming that much more than let's say last year when the barrel of oil was only in the $60 range. I don't know about you, but I have a feeling that there's a bit of "Enron" going on like when they (Enron) were manipulating the energy market on the west coast. I commute 60 miles from Newton to East Rutherford every day and on avergage I'm spending about $120 weekly on gas as it is, but this is getting insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
I'm amazed that with the barrell of oil at record prices and with gas prices forecast to be close to $4.00 in the summer, how come I don't see/hear anything about what's causing this? I mean, yes, I know the US is very dependent on oil, but come on....don't tell me that we're consuming that much more than let's say last year when the barrel of oil was only in the $60 range. I don't know about you, but I have a feeling that there's a bit of "Enron" going on like when they (Enron) were manipulating the energy market on the west coast. I commute 60 miles from Newton to East Rutherford every day and on avergage I'm spending about $120 weekly on gas as it is, but this is getting insane.
maybe there is a bit of manipulation going on but there are many reasons for oil prices being much higher, some of which are political instability, weak US dollar, and the basic eco 101, higher demand coupled with diminishing supplies will always equal higher prices. and if you are simple minded you can always run around screaming that it is Bush's fault

Last edited by apvbguy; 03-11-2008 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 AM

531 posts, read 2,149,751 times
Quote:
....don't tell me that we're consuming that much more than let's say last year when the barrel of oil was only in the $60 range.
Are we the only people who consume oil?

US demand does not equal total demand.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 AM

253 posts, read 1,266,745 times
I was listening to Anderson Cooper a few days ago, and what I don't understand is how much of a small effort it will take to drive the prices down. They stated on CNN, that regardless of how much the price of gas has risen, it hasn't slowed down consumer traveling or car purchases. However, if it does hit this industry in the near future, it will force prices back down.

Is it really that simple!!

It's a mess. I'm going to Sam's club, BJs and Costcos to stock up on bologna and cheese because that's all I'll be afford to eat this summer. I have an SUV w/3 small children who will be in summer camp and at the beach on the weekends. It's gonna be rough.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post

It's a mess. I'm going to Sam's club, BJs and Costcos to stock up on bologna and cheese because that's all I'll be afford to eat this summer. I have an SUV w/3 small children who will be in summer camp and at the beach on the weekends. It's gonna be rough.
Ummm....maybe it's time to cut back on the summer camp and beach trips then???? Somehow, my siblings and I managed to "survive" summer break without weeks of "camp" and weekly trips to the beach. I bet your kids would fare just as well, and maybe they'd be able to eat better than bologna and cheese then

Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Are we the only people who consume oil?

US demand does not equal total demand.

No, we're not the only one but we're the most consuming nation and I'm sure as such our consumption has a BIG influence on the market. Not total demand but a HUGE chunk of it for sure. but my point is not about how much do we consume but instead that the oil prices are just out of control and I don't see any preventive measures been taken. And oh yes to the previous poster as well.....I'm a republican.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:17 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times
It's supply and demand. Just wait till someone says something like we only have 5 years of oil left. You think it's bad now? Some people don't care as I see people paying a 100 for gas filling up the large SUVs to commute to work. I guess I'll hang on the little corolla to commute to work that gets 35 MPG. I do keep a nice ride in the driveway for family trips though.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 AM

54 posts, read 183,101 times
Quote:
........ how come I don't see/hear anything about what's causing this? .......... I commute 60 miles from Newton to East Rutherford every day and on avergage I'm spending about $120 weekly on gas as it is, but this is getting insane.
drive 60 miles a day and and claim you see/hear nothing about the rising gas prices. must be nice to drive with blinders on and cotton in the ears.

Let your fingers do a little tapping at google. The information you seek is out there.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
I believe the world has it in for the USA and are sticking it to us,gas and oil are dealt with just like Vegas.Bush and Cheney would never win a popularity contest.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josdegr50 View Post
drive 60 miles a day and and claim you see/hear nothing about the rising gas prices. must be nice to drive with blinders on and cotton in the ears.

Let your fingers do a little tapping at google. The information you seek is out there.
Well, first of, I drive 60 miles each way so that'll be 120 miles round trip, second, I'm neither blind or deaf. When I first decided to move to newton and drive that big a commute, gas prices were still under $2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey