Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 896 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are young family with 2 little kids looking for our first house in NJ.
I would like to narrow down an area where to look and my major concern is school. I would like some feedback on school system in NJ. I heard it's great.. BUT it's all seems to be based on test scores which I don't really care about, at least for now while they are in elementary school. What I care about is how nurturing school is and how they teach them to be good human beings and to love to learn. I don't know where to start looking and how.. please help!
Some other features we would love to have in a city
- relatively easy commute to downtown Manhattan
- town feel with some walkable streets with shops and restaurants (of course
We are both in design field and not really into sports, so I don't really care if the city has tons sports activities...

Your input is very appreciated!
Anna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:22 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leska13 View Post
Hi all,

I would like to narrow down an area where to look and my major concern is school. I would like some feedback on school system in NJ. I heard it's great.. BUT it's all seems to be based on test scores which I don't really care about, at least for now while they are in elementary school. What I care about is how nurturing school is and how they teach them to be good human beings and to love to learn. I don't know where to start looking and how.. please help!
We are both in design field and not really into sports, so I don't really care if the city has tons sports activities...

Anna
There's one very large omission in your post without which no one can begin to help you.

It only takes a few minutes to answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the page. You've answered some of the questions already, and predictably. Great schools, check, walkable downtown, check, commute, check...the same things everyone asks for, and the answer is the same as it always is--you're talking about Westfield, Ridgewood, Montclair, etc...if they are within your budget. So let people know that key piece of info, please.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 AM

255 posts, read 455,725 times
I'd say 85-90 percent of elementary schools in New Jersey are fine. More than fine, even.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 AM

280 posts, read 339,197 times
Do you work in Manhattan daily or just want to have train access? Bernardsville is a great walkable town with excellent schools, restaurants, nurturing community feel, NJ Transit train right downtown.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:03 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
It's not a school's responsibility to instill a love of learning. That's your job.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:09 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Public ,Privet and what area ???

Old 07-11-2017, 03:11 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leska13 View Post
Hi all,

Anna

Just becuase you and your husband are not into sports does that mean you will let your child become a vegetable and sit in front of video games 24 hours a day?Maybe your kids will like sports!

Old 07-11-2017, 04:00 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
^Seriously? Not being into sports means the kids will be video-watching vegetables?

OP never came back anyway.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:12 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Seriously? Not being into sports means the kids will be video-watching vegetables?
+1
I guess another possibility is that these kids will turn into privet hedges.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^Seriously? Not being into sports means the kids will be video-watching vegetables?

OP never came back anyway.
No, but it's nice when they run around for a while and fall asleep early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey