Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:38 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,543 times

Advertisements

hundreds of times..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 05:39 PM

37 posts, read 261,857 times
Default Italian Americans

Nutley and Belleville have alot of Italian Americans and are somewhat similar to Brooklyn. Garfield and Lodi might fit you as well although be aware that crime has picked up in these towns dramatically. Forget Hoboken..too expensive now loaded with yuppy scummers. Any towns in lower Bergen county might work for you as well especially Lyndhurst or East Rutherford.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,980 times
Thanks alot everybody for all of your input. I will go and check out the areas that were mentioned forget about seaside, its too far. It's not so much the fact that I want to live in an italian area but more that I would like to be in a busy place but also safe, not a lonely place where I'll be afraid to go for a walk when its dark. I am aware that that might not even exist in jersey, but I was just wondering if it did Thanks again

Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times
There is a "Little Italy" in Paterson on 21st Avenue. But this isn't Italian American like Nutley. This is more "authentic" like old school Itailans. Many of the Italians here don't speak English and shop owners speak Italian. I entered a cafe and the TV was playing soccer in Italian, while the customer and shop owner were speaking in Italian. I'm sure this area would be very affordable and does kind of feel like Brooklyn.

Hillcrest in Paterson (this is one of the better neighborhoods in the city) is also very Italian although I think it feels a little more like Queens than Brooklyn. But it's in Paterson so overall you have the same urban feel to it. Other areas you might want to check is Essex County. I was checking a map of the most Italian places in New Jersey and Essex County (pretty much all of NE NJ) fit the mold. Don't expect something like Bensonhurst though. Nutley has the highest percentage of Italians in the state. And not even half the residents are Italian.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM

161 posts, read 767,702 times
AS a Brooklyn transplant who still works in Brooklyn...theres nothing quite like Brooklyn.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
There is a "Little Italy" in Paterson on 21st Avenue. But this isn't Italian American like Nutley. This is more "authentic" like old school Itailans. Many of the Italians here don't speak English and shop owners speak Italian. I entered a cafe and the TV was playing soccer in Italian, while the customer and shop owner were speaking in Italian. I'm sure this area would be very affordable and does kind of feel like Brooklyn.

Hillcrest in Paterson (this is one of the better neighborhoods in the city) is also very Italian although I think it feels a little more like Queens than Brooklyn. But it's in Paterson so overall you have the same urban feel to it. Other areas you might want to check is Essex County. I was checking a map of the most Italian places in New Jersey and Essex County (pretty much all of NE NJ) fit the mold. Don't expect something like Bensonhurst though. Nutley has the highest percentage of Italians in the state. And not even half the residents are Italian.

yeah maybe 25 years ago---not so much anymore. 21st ave only has a couple of italians left around there. we all moved away--too bad. it was a great area to grow up...

Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 PM

127 posts, read 544,437 times
Check Millburn - it has a nice walkable downtown, relatively low crime, and the best public school system in NJ. A 2-bedroom apt. with a garage in a two-family house (half-duplex) rents at around $1600-$1700 per month, the same apt. without a garage in an apt. building would probably cost a few hundred dollars less. Overall, the rent is a little higher than in the surrounding area, but you get much better value for your money. And commute to Elizabeth is just 10-15 minutes. BTW, a train trip to Manhattan (NY Penn Station) is just 35-40 minutes. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 PM

38 posts, read 183,779 times
Try Newark/Nork AKA Brick City Or East Orange

Old 03-11-2008, 10:04 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULTRAIN View Post
Try Newark/Nork AKA Brick City Or East Orange
With advice like that this person must have taken out an insurance policy on the OP.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 AM

11 posts, read 79,459 times
I recently moved to Red Bank, NJ and really love it. It's got a great downtown area, low crime rate, close to the beach and mostly reasonable rent. It's about an hour train ride into nyc, and I'd say about 45min drive to Elizabeth.
If you're interested I'd suggested coming on wknd and driving and walking around. Plus it's the best way to see what's available rent wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey