Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 12:49 AM

10 posts, read 8,043 times

Advertisements

I read about it but don't quite get what it means. I wrote out a notice to vacate and I did request for my security deposit to be returned. Someone plz explain to me what the law is on owner occupied buildings. It's a 2 family me in one unit and landlord in the other. Landlord never informed me where my deposit was being held and never paid interest to me. One day about 7 years of living here the mail was being delivered as the landlord and i were outside chatting and only then the landlord handed me a bank statement which shows where my deposit has been for the last 8 years. I'm not worried about the interest its only 20 dollars and some cents however i do want the entire actual deposit that i paid when moving in because the hell we went through living here i really want to sue the landlord. Mice after mice infestation, stray cats ****ting all over the yard the smell of cat urine and feces coming through the windows, lots of things wrong with this place and was never fixed or what was fixed wasn't properly done and broke again. Mice crapping all over our shoes, pots pans, clothes in closets and i had to throw out so much of our stuff over the years. Ants making ant hills in the carpet and the landlord poured salt on them smh. The reasons i stayed because my son was in college i wanted him to finish no interruptions because i want to move out of state. Well he's done now and ive absolutely had enough of this apartment so we're out real soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
If you didn't damage the apartment beyond normal "wear and tear" over the term of your lease, you are entitled to receive your security deposit and interest back.

As for suing your landlord, you'd have a difficult case. You lived there for 7 or 8 years. If the problems were that bad you could have moved. You chose to stay and therefore accepted the conditions. But if you are adamant about suing for something just to stick it to this landlord (which I would advise against doing), consult an attorney.

The simplest, cheapest, and probably best thing to do is just move out, move on with life, and leave the problems behind you.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:42 PM

398 posts, read 984,434 times
You chose to live in a dump to save on rent. Now that you don't have a reason to live in that area any longer, you're brainstorming for way to make some quick $$.

Take your security deposit and move out.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
The statutes that regulate security deposits do not apply to owner-occupied premises with not more than two rental units. That means you are not entitled to interest and your landlord does not have to put your deposit in a seperate account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: