Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times

Advertisements

A few friends and I will be visiting NYC from Philly, and instead of paying to park in Manhattan, we were planning on parking at or near a PATH station and taking the train over.

Is parking at any of theses stations easy and/or free/really cheap, or is there easy neighborhood parking near them? I saw the Harrison station on GMaps Satellite and it looks like it has the most parking of all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Coming from Philly or points south, I always park at Journal Square in Jersey City. $8-10 a day if I remember correctly. Cheaper and easier to park than Hoboken, and the traffic isn't as bad getting there.

The further out stations are cheaper, but there's also a time tradeoff to consider. If you're heading to midtown from Harrison, you need to transfer at Journal Square or Grove St and you might be waiting for a while, especially on the weekend when trains only come every 10 or 15 minutes.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:13 PM

30 posts, read 123,183 times
Hoboken is more expensive (Probably $25+), but it's very easy. The main lot (next to The Green Rock) is just feet away from the PATH entrance.

If you're going to be coming home late at night, it may be worth the extra money.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
A few friends and I will be visiting NYC from Philly, and instead of paying to park in Manhattan, we were planning on parking at or near a PATH station and taking the train over.

Is parking at any of theses stations easy and/or free/really cheap, or is there easy neighborhood parking near them? I saw the Harrison station on GMaps Satellite and it looks like it has the most parking of all of them.
depending on the day and time you go you might be able to park for free on the street. When I need to go downtown for a few hours I usually am able to park on the street a few blocks from exchange place.
Harrison is a PIA to get to from the turnpike, journal sq would work but it's not easy for the uninitiated to find. Good luck

Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM

87 posts, read 373,387 times
I believe you can park on the streets in NYC during the weekend. Just make sure to read the parking signs. Or, just drive into NY, park in a lot, then cab it.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:46 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
To park in a hotel will be $55 per 24 hours. I do it fairly often. You can park on the street in NYC during the weekends, but there is no street parking in midtown and other isolated areas. Taking the path is not a bad idea. I agree, JC would be economical and easy.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl_cls01 View Post
I believe you can park on the streets in NYC during the weekend. Just make sure to read the parking signs. Or, just drive into NY, park in a lot, then cab it.
in some places yes, but generally not in midtown, the key thing to do is read the signs, and then read them again because they can be very confusing

Old 03-13-2008, 04:25 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
As a general rule in NYC, the more east, west, north or south you go, the more street parking you will find. Stay away from the center.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:41 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
You can definitely park in NYC too, but it's not something I'd recommend to someone who isn't familiar with the city. You will be roaming a while before you find a spot, and you may end up having to take the subway or walking a long distance anyway if your spot is not in the part of town you want to be in. The signs can also be confusing. I'm a bit more familiar with NYC than the average tourist, and even I think it's a pain. It's certainly doable, but PATH can be easier depending on the situation. PATH has the added benefit of avoiding Holland Tunnel traffic, which is bad even on the weekends.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:47 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
If you go in via the Lincoln tunnel, it's a straight shot out of the tunnel into one of the parking gargaes and the rates are reasonable.. $ 20 to 30.00/day. And when you come out, all you do is turn right follow the signs right back to the tunnel. I hate driving into the city but this is a great lot for parking..clean and easy in - easy out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey