U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 87,661 times

Advertisements

I am coming to New York in May and am looking for a SAFE hotel to stay in. I have been told that I am better off staying in New Jersey. I need to be close to the Yankee Stadium and have a good way to commute between the city and my hotel. Any suggestions?!?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM

828 posts, read 3,001,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb14738 View Post
I am coming to New York in May and am looking for a SAFE hotel to stay in. I have been told that I am better off staying in New Jersey. I need to be close to the Yankee Stadium and have a good way to commute between the city and my hotel. Any suggestions?!?!

I see "safe" is capitalized.
With that in mind, there is not a safe place near Yankee Stadium to stay.
Is it that you need to be near Yankee Stadium, or just the City in general?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Both!! I need to be within a reasonable commute to the stadium and the city and have public transportation as I don't think I want to drive in the city!! I have heard that the hotels near the stadium are not so good and are more like rent by the hour type places and to stay in NJ! I am just clueless as where to stay and be able to commute to and from for the weekend.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 PM

I would much rather drive in the City...but then I have been driving in the City for about 25 years.
As for hotels...
You will get what you pay for.
There are some hotels in Fort Lee, which is right over the GWB. Also expand your search a but further from Fort Lee.
There are some hotels right next to the Holland Tunnel on the Jersey side, but you would not want to stay there. A bit further, there are some really nice hotels around Giants Stadium, and you will be about 20 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel. Since I am not sure of where you want to be first, Manhattan or the Bronx, I am not sure which way to lean you towards.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 PM

I dont really know the city so I cant say Manhatten or the Bronx. Some friends are going to a Yankees game and I am going along. The game is on a Sunday so I am coming up a few days early and would like to be able to tour NYC such as the Times Square area and then go to the game on Sunday. I have looked at some hotels in the Fort Lee area...they seem reasonably priced.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 PM

OK...gotcha.
I would stay around Giants Stadium.
Check out hotels near Giants Stadium and The MEadowlands. You will be about 20 minutes away from the City via the Lincoln Tunnel. IMO, if you were to drive into the City I would tell you to drive thru the Holland Tunnel and follow the signs for Uptown...much more scenic view of the City than driving out of the Lincoln Tunnel. Not far from the Holland Tunnel is "The Village" (Greenwich Village) which is my favorite area in the City to walk. If you go thru the Lincoln Tunnel you will be near Times Square, which has been cleaned up very nicely. Since I HATE the Yankees I will not go any further about visiting Yankee Stadium. I will, however, give you four places to get a quick bite to eat while you are in the City. On Bleecker St, right off of 7th ave is John's Pizza...great brick oven pizza and they also serve beer and wine. If you want a big sloppy slice of pizza go to Ray's on 11th St and 6th ave. While you are on 11th st you MUST go down to 1st ave. Between 1st and 2nd ave is Veniero's Bakery. Last, but not least, on 350 Hudson St is Jacques Torres' Chocolate Haven.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,457,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb14738 View Post
just stay in manhattan, you can get from midtown to the stadium via subway in less than 30 minutes

Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,366,419 times
Default New Jersey

On Route 3 in Seacaucus, NJ there is I believe a Comfort Inn, near the outlet mall, there is a bus stop right in front of the hotel takes you into Manhattan in about 20 mins. you could take a train up into the Bronx.

Beats the tolls and traffic into Manhattan.........good luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
OK...gotcha.
I would stay around Giants Stadium.
Check out hotels near Giants Stadium and The MEadowlands. You will be about 20 minutes away from the City via the Lincoln Tunnel. IMO, if you were to drive into the City I would tell you to drive thru the Holland Tunnel and follow the signs for Uptown...much more scenic view of the City than driving out of the Lincoln Tunnel. Not far from the Holland Tunnel is "The Village" (Greenwich Village) which is my favorite area in the City to walk. If you go thru the Lincoln Tunnel you will be near Times Square, which has been cleaned up very nicely. Since I HATE the Yankees I will not go any further about visiting Yankee Stadium. I will, however, give you four places to get a quick bite to eat while you are in the City. On Bleecker St, right off of 7th ave is John's Pizza...great brick oven pizza and they also serve beer and wine. If you want a big sloppy slice of pizza go to Ray's on 11th St and 6th ave. While you are on 11th st you MUST go down to 1st ave. Between 1st and 2nd ave is Veniero's Bakery. Last, but not least, on 350 Hudson St is Jacques Torres' Chocolate Haven.
Hope this helps.
Thanks so much!! Ive heard about Ray's before and have been wanting to give it a try. I heard they have the best pizza. I think I saw it on T.V. or something featuring some of the best pizza places in the US

Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 AM

416 posts, read 1,639,749 times
Yeah, I don't understand why you wouldn't stay in Manhattan, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey