Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 12:28 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times

Advertisements

I hear stories of Chambersburg being a nice and safe place. However, I don't know if the Chambersburg is safe now. I know it is run down and it has changed. But is it an area that is run down but safe or is there a really big problem with crime there? Do residents have to constantly worry about being victims of crimes like robberies and assault? Is the drug problem that bad there? I know it is one of the safest parts of Trenton but one of the safest parts of Trenton really isn't saying much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Chambersburg has changed in the past 15-20 years. Gone are most of the good restaurants, Amici Milano, Diamonds, Papa's, DeLorenzo's etc, moved to Hamilton and Robbinsville.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Chambersburg is no longer one of the safest areas of Trenton.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2017 at 06:30 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Chambersburg has changed in the past 15-20 years. Gone are most of the good restaurants, Amici Milano, Diamonds, Papa's, DeLorenzo's etc, moved to Hamilton and Robbinsville.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Chambersburg is no longer one of the safest areas of Trenton.
Thanks . I believe Amici Milano is still there. Still, it is such a shame that Trenton that didn't invest in this area. This was a primer restaurant destination. They could have ensured that the crime didn't skyrocket and that this area could have been well kept since it could have been an economic engine for Trenton. I credit some of the Guatemalans who are opening businesses there. There is a Guatemalan who owns five restaurants and GuatePan is now a chain that has spread through the suburbs just like the Italian Peoples' Bakery, still I don't think the Burg could return to its glory as a dining destination.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2017 at 06:30 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 PM

Amici's moved out this past April-

Amici Milano sells Chestnut Ave. location, plans move out of Trenton

This section of the city is once again in transition. There are many, many homes for sale (many in foreclosure) so it might take a while for the neighbourhood to settle down.
I hope the new residents begin to take pride in their surroundings as did the Italians and Polish people who settled the area.
Right now, the place looks very neglected and ghetto.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
It's a shame most of our urban areas are slums in New Jersey. Trenton has the ingredients to be successful (riverfront, proximity to large metropolises, state capital and rich history).

Old 08-04-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Amici's moved out this past April-

Amici Milano sells Chestnut Ave. location, plans move out of Trenton

This section of the city is once again in transition. There are many, many homes for sale (many in foreclosure) so it might take a while for the neighbourhood to settle down.
I hope the new residents begin to take pride in their surroundings as did the Italians and Polish people who settled the area.
Right now, the place looks very neglected and ghetto.
Well as I mentioned Latinos are definitely investing in this neighborhood. There is a Guatemalan who owns five restaurants in Trenton now.

Chambersburg's changing tastes: Guatemalan restaurants replace iconic Italian eateries in Trenton | NJ.com

There is another who opened a Guatemalan bakery that opens at 5am in the morning.

Trenton bakery starts serving up traditional Guatemalan foods before dawn

There are plenty of Latino businesses in Chambersburg. I just don't know if it will be the culinary destination it used to be. Guatemalan food just doesn't have the same notoriety that Italian food has. Although I know there is at least Dominican restaurant as well and there are Mexican restaurants too. Blue Danube is still there too.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:51 PM

612 posts, read 1,010,702 times
The last time I was in chambersburg, I was eating lunch on a Friday at DeLorenzos. Someone was shot in a nearby alley. Barbero's bakery shut down all their locations because their drivers kept getting robbed in Trenton. Both Delorenzos, Rossi's, and just about every other staple has fleed. It's not safe.

Most areas of Trenton are not safe at all. Last time I was in Mercer County court, I missed a murder on the block on my way out by 2 min.

I don't go into Trenton much, but I've been too close to gunfire to go back in unless I have to. The only place I really go these days is the ball park.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:06 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I hear stories of Chambersburg being a nice and safe place. However, I don't know if the Chambersburg is safe now. I know it is run down and it has changed. But is it an area that is run down but safe or is there a really big problem with crime there? Do residents have to constantly worry about being victims of crimes like robberies and assault? Is the drug problem that bad there? I know it is one of the safest parts of Trenton but one of the safest parts of Trenton really isn't saying much.
Trenton is improving...ooops! that was Newark, i was thinking of.

Trenton, is home to our beloved legislators who promise to make our lives a joy. Trenton should be the safest town in NJ to showcase our dear legislator's love for us.

Trenton legislators are like the president of mexico, nothing embarasses them. People leave by the millions, people murdered within gunshot of a a gold covered dome, and not a red face in the crowd.

Oh, better not defend yourself, Nj frowns on hurting perps in defense of your life.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
Default is the burg still safe?

I have to admit this caught my eye, because we left Trenton in the early 70's because it wasn't safe. This was right after the turmoil that had ensued after Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy's assassination's. It always was a kind of rough, but it was over the edge by then. I was born in the projects, but we moved down the street to a semi-detached house on Hoffman Ave. This was in West Trenton. It was a very nice little neighborhood. You could walk to a lot of places you needed to go. 6 blocks away was Cadwallader Park. I'd later learn it was designed by Fredrick Olmstead, who designed Central Park! You could go and play there. and explore. It was really something, there was a band stage (looked like a clam shell. I heard the Ventures played there, but I'd missed them. There was bear dens, a monkey house that smelled awful, and bocce ball courts. Lots of other things too, but I digress. So here we are 50 years later. (I had to do the math a few times). Decades later and still nothing has been done, or very little. I was able to get out and get a life for myself, but sadly, none of my brothers seem to have escaped... I remember running into "Storky" nickname for Mr. Storcella, who gave me a job working at his machine shop in north Trenton. It had been a several years passing, but he was doing well, having retired and had moved from the burg to Yardley-Makefield area. My family had moved to Morrisville. This was late 80's and I remember think that Chambersburg would never change, but it did. He had to leave and live someplace safe.
I remember the bakeries, getting tomato pies (that nobody nowadays seems to be able to make, or grasp the concept of a pizza pie without cheese)!
It is really sad that the decay continues. I was really hoping to read that it was. I'm hoping that with new leadership our country can begin to heal, especially help recover these forgotten parts of our cities and former homes. I heard Camden was much the same, beautiful gardens, but a mess now..

Old 09-15-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMM View Post
I have to admit this caught my eye, because we left Trenton in the early 70's because it wasn't safe. This was right after the turmoil that had ensued after Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy's assassination's. It always was a kind of rough, but it was over the edge by then. I was born in the projects, but we moved down the street to a semi-detached house on Hoffman Ave. This was in West Trenton. It was a very nice little neighborhood. You could walk to a lot of places you needed to go. 6 blocks away was Cadwallader Park. I'd later learn it was designed by Fredrick Olmstead, who designed Central Park! You could go and play there. and explore. It was really something, there was a band stage (looked like a clam shell. I heard the Ventures played there, but I'd missed them. There was bear dens, a monkey house that smelled awful, and bocce ball courts. Lots of other things too, but I digress. So here we are 50 years later. (I had to do the math a few times). Decades later and still nothing has been done, or very little. I was able to get out and get a life for myself, but sadly, none of my brothers seem to have escaped... I remember running into "Storky" nickname for Mr. Storcella, who gave me a job working at his machine shop in north Trenton. It had been a several years passing, but he was doing well, having retired and had moved from the burg to Yardley-Makefield area. My family had moved to Morrisville. This was late 80's and I remember think that Chambersburg would never change, but it did. He had to leave and live someplace safe.
I remember the bakeries, getting tomato pies (that nobody nowadays seems to be able to make, or grasp the concept of a pizza pie without cheese)!
It is really sad that the decay continues. I was really hoping to read that it was. I'm hoping that with new leadership our country can begin to heal, especially help recover these forgotten parts of our cities and former homes. I heard Camden was much the same, beautiful gardens, but a mess now..
Cadwalader Heights neighborhood has changed as well, a lot of those lovely Georgian Homes have become boarding/multi family homes.
You can still get great tomato pies, DeLorenzos moved to Hamilton and Robbinsville.

https://www.delorenzospizza.com/
https://www.delorenzospizza.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey