Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM

48 posts, read 233,602 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

Thanks all who have taken time to respond to my question.

One person gave me the option of Princeton and the advantage that I can open myself up to jobs in Philadelphia city as well. That was really appealing.

What do you folks think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 12:55 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,077 times
I think Princeton would be too much of a commute to NYC, unless you don't mind that. I agree with Convent/Morristown area. There is a good mix of housing and great train access to NYC.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
The commute from Princeton to Philly by mass transit requires at least one (and maybe two) train/subway changes, so it's not as easy as one makes it sound. Commuting by car is also painful, and can easily be 1.5-2 hours with traffic. Princeton to NYC at least is a straight shot with no changes, but it's still likely 1.5-2 hours door to door.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,573 times
"Sayreville simply is a great place to live!"
"Not the least of Sayreville's attractions is its central location. It is only 30 miles from New York City and 60 miles from Philadelphia. Close by are the Garden State Parkway, the New Jersey Turnpike and Routes 1, 9, 35,18 and 287 - all providing ready access to New Jersey's wealth of cultural and recreational activities and one of the best commuting corridors with access to all major roads.

Sayreville has managed to preserve its small town ambiance, character and moderate taxes.

If you are a parent concerned with the quality of education, Sayreville has a school system consisting of four elementary schools, a middle school and a high school that continues to rank among the best school systems in New Jersey. Also to be found in Sayreville are two Roman Catholic elementary schools and a school for the special needs children. Nearby are Rutgers and Princeton Universities, two of the largest and most prestigious schools in the country. Middlesex County College in Edison is the largest community college in the state and offers two-year degrees in 48 areas of study."

Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM

717 posts, read 773,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpkpkpk View Post
Hi Everybody,

Thanks all who have taken time to respond to my question.

One person gave me the option of Princeton and the advantage that I can open myself up to jobs in Philadelphia city as well. That was really appealing.

What do you folks think?
Princeton is a very wealthy area. The phamaceutical companies rule the land and there is alot of competition. Princeton has a large contingent of residents who may not fit the definition of "Down to Earth".

Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 PM

131 posts, read 479,446 times
Maplewood NJ, 35 minutes to city, great schools, nice housing stock.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM

300 posts, read 913,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariana1 View Post
"Sayreville simply is a great place to live!"
"Not the least of Sayreville's attractions is its central location. It is only 30 miles from New York City and 60 miles from Philadelphia. Close by are the Garden State Parkway, the New Jersey Turnpike and Routes 1, 9, 35,18 and 287 - all providing ready access to New Jersey's wealth of cultural and recreational activities and one of the best commuting corridors with access to all major roads.

Sayreville has managed to preserve its small town ambiance, character and moderate taxes.

If you are a parent concerned with the quality of education, Sayreville has a school system consisting of four elementary schools, a middle school and a high school that continues to rank among the best school systems in New Jersey. Also to be found in Sayreville are two Roman Catholic elementary schools and a school for the special needs children. Nearby are Rutgers and Princeton Universities, two of the largest and most prestigious schools in the country. Middlesex County College in Edison is the largest community college in the state and offers two-year degrees in 48 areas of study."
Sayreville, please dont misguide somebody who is naive enough to not know about the towns in NJ. Its no where near the other towns being listed here anyway you looks at it. Infact it can't even come close to edison, north brunswick or old bridge (princeton, crawford, morristown, metuchen rest aside). COmmute from Princeton is not as bad, there is dinky train goes from princeton station to princeton juntion where you will always find connecting train to NY penn station. East Brunswick is superb school system, 1 hour commute to NYC and 1 hour ride to Philadelphia.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 AM

48 posts, read 233,602 times
Thanks all again for your help.

I have finalized on a contract position in Parsippany NJ ( Sad it is not on a train line)

However, the next gig might still be in the city.

I should note that I am a software developer and the jobs seem to be concentrated in the following locations
1) NYC
2) Jersey City area
3) Parsippany Area
4) Princeton area

I will be looking at the Morris Plains area and hope that will suit my needs.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 AM

717 posts, read 773,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpkpkpk View Post
Thanks all again for your help.

I have finalized on a contract position in Parsippany NJ ( Sad it is not on a train line)

However, the next gig might still be in the city.

I should note that I am a software developer and the jobs seem to be concentrated in the following locations
1) NYC
2) Jersey City area
3) Parsippany Area
4) Princeton area

I will be looking at the Morris Plains area and hope that will suit my needs.
Awesome- I grew up in Morris Plains. There is a train station right on Speedwell ave (rt 202). Parsippany has buses on route 46 that run into the Port Authority in Manhattan.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Congrats on the new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey