Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:23 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
1 - How many times has the house sold in the last 10 years,if many Why?
This is the MAJOR one that most people miss. When the house sells a lot in a short period it is usually because there are some problems with it that each buyer convinces themselves they can live with, but in the end, can't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:38 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
This is the MAJOR one that most people miss. When the house sells a lot in a short period it is usually because there are some problems with it that each buyer convinces themselves they can live with, but in the end, can't
Not always, people some times move a lot due to their jobs, or not so much in NJ, but I've looked at listings in Savannah GA, Beaufort SC, Colorado Springs CO, major military installations in these towns, people move when their orders change.

Septic, buried oil tank, major roadway and a listing with NO interior photos keeps me scrolling right past the listing.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:42 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not always, people some times move a lot due to their jobs, or not so much in NJ, but I've looked at listings in Savannah GA, Beaufort SC, Colorado Springs CO, major military installations in these towns, people move when their orders change.

Septic, buried oil tank, major roadway and a listing with NO interior photos keeps me scrolling right past the listing.
yea, but this is a NJ forum

look at this house. I bet it will be sold again in 3 more years

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...price-history=

Old 08-18-2017, 09:19 AM

332 posts, read 521,580 times
Re-sales may or may not be that big a deal, esp if it's one of the smaller houses in my rather expensive town. People move out and buy what they can afford, and then upgrade when kid 2 or 3 or 4 shows up and that 3 bed or small 4 bed gets cramped. We came very close to buying a house that I now realize we would have wanted to leave within 3 years for something bigger.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Re-sales may or may not be that big a deal, esp if it's one of the smaller houses in my rather expensive town. People move out and buy what they can afford, and then upgrade when kid 2 or 3 or 4 shows up and that 3 bed or small 4 bed gets cramped. We came very close to buying a house that I now realize we would have wanted to leave within 3 years for something bigger.
^^^^^^ This as well, just because a home sold a few times in 10 years doesn't always mean there was an issue with the house

Old 08-18-2017, 09:31 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
^^^^^^ This as well, just because a home sold a few times in 10 years doesn't always mean there was an issue with the house
Yup. The house I bought was sold twice in 10 years. I have now been living in it close to 10 years myself. Nothing wrong with the house at all.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Yup. The house I bought was sold twice in 10 years. I have now been living in it close to 10 years myself. Nothing wrong with the house at all.
same. My house was bought and sold 4 times in 10 years, using same listing agent each time. Families all moved to bigger houses within three blocks when the next little one came.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:05 AM

235 posts, read 262,957 times
Lack of photos in the listing means it's probably a "handyman special" or "needs some TLC". It all depends how much work you want to do.

Get a good home inspector.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ to MA View Post
Lack of photos in the listing means it's probably a "handyman special" or "needs some TLC". It all depends how much work you want to do.

Get a good home inspector.
Yes, that makes me scroll right on past listing thinking the inside must be a horror show, as I've no desire to get into a handyman special or a home that needs tons of updating. Truth be told as soon as I see wallpaper I'm done, no desire to tackle that.

In this day most if not all realtors take interior photos.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:14 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Call me crazy, but being near a cemetery wouldn't bother me. It guarantees you will have quiet neighbors.

As for the OP, I agree with the other posters. Without fail, everytime a nice house in a desirable town is cheap, it's either on a main road, flood zone, or the backyard backs against a major highway.
I wouldn't mind living next to a cemetery, but across the street would be OK, too.

The house might also back up to a commercial building or train tracks. Years ago I had friends whose property was next to a busy track. I can't imagine how long it would take me to get used to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey