Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,164 times

Advertisements

I really want to become a middle school Math Teacher in NJ. I got ba in mathematics in liberal arts in 2002. I have no idea what the next steps are. I tried to look up on webs, but it confuses me more. Is PRAXIS test the next step, or do I need to get credits from school to take the test? Can anyone please help me go for my dream come true~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 07:00 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
Do you have your teaching certification?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:18 PM

237 posts, read 482,545 times
To be a middle school math teacher in NJ you need two components - to be highly certified in math, and to have a teaching certification. With your BA in Math, you should have the math certification covered. (for middle school I believe you just need something like ~18 credits in your subject, so you should be fine.)

So your next step would be to enter a teacher certification program. Most colleges with education programs offer both post-baccalaureate certification programs (meaning you would just work towards a certification without getting your masters in teaching) and an MAT program (you would get your certification and your masters degree). Either one is fine, you don't need a masters to teach in NJ but you do get paid a little more with it so it'd be up to you.

As for the PRAXIS requirements - all teacher certification programs now require passing of the PRAXIS I for admission. It's a general subjects test with a reading, writing and math component. You will also need to pass the PRAXIS II which is your subject-specific test, so for you it would be middle school level math. That one has to be done before you begin student teaching, but it might be best to get it out of the way now - the subject-specific PRAXIS II tests can be challenging and a lot of people need to take them a few times to pass them.

Good luck! I recently went back to school for my teaching certification so I know the drill.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Check out Alternate Route.

With a Math degree, you probably have a pretty good shot of getting hired after taking the Praxis.

I had multiple high schools trying to hire me when I looked into Alternate Route and I had no education degree or certification (I have two degrees in the physical sciences) One principal was willing to sign up and pay for the Praxis he was so desperate

Certification & Induction - Alternate Route

Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Remember, teaching is a very tough job, you get low pay, and no respect, but it is also very difficult to get a teaching job unless you know someone in the district because there are so many people that what these jobs

Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Math and science are a bit easier to get. Elementary is definitely locked up with friends of friends of friends.

OP, if you could teach high school math, you would be in an even stronger position in the job market.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:09 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Are you really sure you want to be a teacher? I know several people that started out in business and then went into teaching thinking it would be a cushier job. They all quit within a year. It's a much tougher job than most people realize.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:42 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times
Why middle school? If you are a math major, middle school may bore you. Plus, high school kids are easier to deal with, unless you really enjoy immaturity.

I was a chemist with a BA in chemistry. I left industry to teach high school chemistry. You can take the praxis right away, you'll need to take it no matter what. Just make sure you take the correct tests for what you want to teach.

You will need a teaching license. There are two ways to get them for a person like you in NJ. 1) Take courses at a college to get your masters in teaching, this will include your provisional license. Then go find a job. 2) Alternate route. You get hired by a district first, then take courses part-time at night for about a year, I think now it may be two years. Once completed, you get your official license.

I thought about alternate route, but taking classes part-time for a year, or two, after all that work, all you get is your teaching license. What I did was get my masters in teaching, because with a masters, you start at a higher pay scale. When I started working, it was a $5000 difference between a BA and an MA on step 1.

But, this required me to not have a job for two years while I got my masters. At the time I was able to do that. If you need to work right away, the alternate route may be your only choice. Most people that become teachers have BA in teaching. This is how they get their license. If you already have a BA in math, but no education courses, you need a Masters in teaching to get your license, or go alternate route.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 AM

I think alternate route is great because you can see if you like teaching as you're working on your classes. Just be careful with some of the programs and what kind of contract you sign.

If you hate it, you can quit before you invest too much into it

Old 08-22-2017, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,164 times
Wow,
I got ideas now from you people!
Big appreciation to all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: