Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 AM

35 posts, read 228,803 times

Advertisements

Question...I am hearing definite opinions on how soon you should paint a new construction home. My father said that I shoud wait one year because I will get cracks, nails poping etc. I see some people are painting right away since its easier without the furniture in the way. I can see some cracks already and was wondering what other people do. Comments are much appreciated..thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
Nobody is using sheet rock nails on new construction...screws don't move about like nails...so that's not a concern

Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM

687 posts, read 3,251,641 times
We got many nail pops in the ceilings of our new construction townhouse. Since we weren't painting our ceilings, it really wasn't a big deal to touch those up as they happened. We did have a couple hairline cracks in the walls, but nothing that was difficult to touch up.

We're moving into a new house in May and plan to do some of the painting right away--basically because it is easier to do before moving furniture in.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 14,471 times
I'd paint now and touch up later. Why wait until all your stuff is in only to move it around and/or cover it all up?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheesesteak View Post
Question...I am hearing definite opinions on how soon you should paint a new construction home. My father said that I shoud wait one year because I will get cracks, nails poping etc. I see some people are painting right away since its easier without the furniture in the way. I can see some cracks already and was wondering what other people do. Comments are much appreciated..thanks!
It depends on your homeowners warranty. When I bought my new house in NC, the builder came in after 2 months to repair any cracks and "nailpops", which happens when the spackling compound over the sheet rock screws crack. They repaired both cracks and nailpops again after 10 months. Many of the new homeowners waited until the 10 month fix was done to begin painting. I've had a couple of nailpops appear after the 10 month fix was done, but since the builder gave us these little "kits" on closing, which contained a small amount of spackling compound, tools and paints - both gloss and flat which were used on the walls, ceiling and trim, I've fixed them myself. It's not that difficult to do. The nailpops which did appear were mostly in the ceiling, so it was a five-minute job to fix a couple with the little kit.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,097,752 times
You can paint when you move in. There is no real timeframe to prevent the nails/screws from showing but after a year or so many are done but I have seen things happen after two or more years. Takes a lot of time for the house to settle.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Paint right away, touch up later. Just buy extra paint, keep it handy, and you'll have a decent match - just get it at the same time as the rest of the paint, so the batch is the same (or atleast really damn close).

Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Paint right away, touch up later. Just buy extra paint, keep it handy, and you'll have a decent match - just get it at the same time as the rest of the paint, so the batch is the same (or atleast really damn close).
CuCullin - I agree. Some of the homeowners told me if I painted that it would "Void" the warranty. This turned out to be untrue. The sooner you start painting, the more you will feel like the house is yours and not some giant off-white undefined holding area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey