Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Whatever. Yul Brynner's last hurrah was in NYC. My mother wanted to go.

One year for her birthday, late November, I took her to see The Christmas Show at Radio City. We went in December. It snowed like all get out. We looked at the tree, watched people skate, and had dinner in a nice restaurant. No complaints there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I took my mom there when she was 75. She had a good time. We looked at the big Christmas tree, watched people skate, saw the show, ate at a nice restaurant. It was snowing. She talked about it for years.

Know your audience.
Aww, that's sweet that it made your mom so happy. Not going to lie, despite how touristy it is, I still enjoy seeing the tree at Christmas time, and I've seen it dozens of times. The city really does a great job decorating and getting into the Christmas spirit. The time between Thanksgiving and New Years is honestly my favorite time to visit Manhattan.

It's not fun making your way through the throngs of tourists and trying to find a nice viewing spot of the tree for a few minutes, but I still do enjoy it. I skated at Rockefeller once and found that pretty fun, too, but I probably wouldn't do it again unless I was bringing people from out of the area or my own kids to experience it or something like that.

I've also seen the Radio City Christmas Show a bunch of times and I still find it enjoyable. I guess there's just something with me and Christmas, I find it a really enjoyable time of year in pretty much any place that gets cold and feels "in the spirit." I find it all a lot of fun and I think the city does it so well. I have a lot of great memories of going to the city around Christmas almost every year from my childhood, we had a lot of good times and often with extended family, so I think that's part of it for me. Other than seeing many Broadway plays through my childhood and teen years and going to Mets and the occasional Yankee game - obviously in other boroughs, and the occasional concert at MSG, we didn't really go to the city just for the hell of it much when I was growing up. Christmas was the only time we truly went almost annually without fail, other times we would just go randomly, so I have great memories of it. Nostalgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 09:14 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Aww, that's sweet that it made your mom so happy. Not going to lie, despite how touristy it is, I still enjoy seeing the tree at Christmas time, and I've seen it dozens of times. The city really does a great job decorating and getting into the Christmas spirit. The time between Thanksgiving and New Years is honestly my favorite time to visit Manhattan.

It's not fun making your way through the throngs of tourists and trying to find a nice viewing spot of the tree for a few minutes, but I still do enjoy it. I skated at Rockefeller once and found that pretty fun, too, but I probably wouldn't do it again unless I was bringing people from out of the area or my own kids to experience it or something like that.

I've also seen the Radio City Christmas Show a bunch of times and I still find it enjoyable. I guess there's just something with me and Christmas, I find it a really enjoyable time of year in pretty much any place that gets cold and feels "in the spirit." I find it all a lot of fun and I think the city does it so well. I have a lot of great memories of going to the city around Christmas almost every year from my childhood, we had a lot of good times and often with extended family, so I think that's part of it for me. Other than seeing many Broadway plays through my childhood and teen years and going to Mets and the occasional Yankee game - obviously in other boroughs, and the occasional concert at MSG, we didn't really go to the city just for the hell of it much when I was growing up. Christmas was the only time we truly went almost annually without fail, other times we would just go randomly, so I have great memories of it. Nostalgia.
I know I was pressing that one, but we had so much fun. My eldest brother took us to see the Nutcracker Suite, opera. Mom took me to see a couple of Broadway shows. We ate at interesting restaurants which we couldn't find in Wilkes-Barre.

We visited the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty. The museums are magnificent. Rowing in the park.

I could go there a thousand more times and not experience everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey