Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 07:01 PM

480 posts, read 477,373 times

Advertisements

(Almost) done:

I've started gathering the flattest rocks I can find by picking through the stonerows and plan to face off the concrete pedestal with them. Luckily there are really good polyurethane glues for this these days. I can just stick the stones to the concrete and then grout in some mortar after the fact to make it look like real stonework.

In other news-more of the joys of country living:

I changed the air filter in my truck for the first time since I bought it in April. My guess is they moved in once the temperature dropped about a week ago. Industrious little buggers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 07:35 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,565,807 times
LOL, I would have taken it to Jiffy Lube just to see their face's.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:40 PM

Despite a little rain here and there this is the kind of weather working outside was made for. Finally cleared out the old sheep pen. Come spring this will be where the yardbirds get their exercise:

Plenty of hog panels and gates to work with for future pens and fencing:

Old 11-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Woke up to a winter wonderland this morning:

Ahhh...the hazards of rural living:

Had to dig the mail out of a snowbank, but I think I found it all. It's not the County's fault-the force of this heavy stuff coming off of a 10' plow would knock a person over. A little ways down the road one house has a mailbox suspended from the top with chain so that it just takes the blow and falls back into place afterwards.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:03 PM

32,835 posts, read 36,124,669 times
That's a fair bit more than I had further south.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Six Day Firearm (more commonly known as "Buck Week") prep-back into the swampy thicket at the edge of my neighbor's field. There's a small brook that forms the boundary between our properties that the deer follow. Part of it splits off and feeds our pond-the water source is a good draw.
For the first time in my life I'm hunting my own land and as such can build a permanent stand (think treehouse) wherever I want, but I'm not willing to commit just yet. I'm using my old climbing stand which can easily be moved from tree to tree based on conditions and/or deer movement:

The view from 20' up:

I didn't do any hunting at all last year as we were still too busy with any number of projects, but I'm looking forward to many years of harvesting deer from this property. No more getting up at 3:00 a.m. to drive an hour, hike in a mile, and be in the tree by 5:00 a.m. Now if I can roll out of bed at 4:30 and walk 150 yards off of the back porch, plus if nothing's moving and its freezing I can walk 150 yards back and have a hot cup of coffee waiting for me. Even better will be filling the freezer with venison that grew up right here-drinking the water, eating the grass, and running wild through the woods and fields.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:02 PM

88,269 posts, read 84,222,834 times
Hey, Swamp_Yankee, thanks for posting those pictures. I love them.

I've got more snow where I am, but I'm a bit more north of you at the moment.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, Swamp_Yankee, thanks for posting those pictures. I love them.
Thanks, I enjoy sharing them. This is my target buck for Monday:

Old 12-01-2018, 07:19 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,565,807 times
Love the pics , Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:07 AM

Nowadays the night before Six Day is my new "Christmas Eve." The real Christmas Eve, now that I'm an adult with kids is a marathon day of church, seeing family, cooking, and then when they're finally in bed, unpacking the presents, assembling stuff, tiptoeing around, and running ourselves ragged until about 2:00 a.m. only to be awoken at 5:00 Not that I would trade any of it for anything in the world, but it's just not like it was. Tonight I'll be lying bed, not sleeping at all just like when I was a kid on Christmas Eve, only with visions of a big six pointer dancing in my head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey