Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:08 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Category 5 Enforcement Bulletin:

Be advised that saturation enforcement techniques have been observed on Route 80 today. I observed 3 troopers in tricky locations using aggressive out-of-vehicle laser targeting with parallel vehicle orientation. All appeared to be using shiny brand new laser guns.

This is out of the ordinary. The usual procedure is sitting in the car, perpendicular to the roadway, in a standard spot that most of us memorize out of habit. Who isn't aware of the radar spot at the bottom of the hill on Eastbound 80 entering Parsippany? Even rank amateurs know that one. 91 year old geriatric patients with moderate Alzheimers can be seen slowing down in that location.

Today was something completely different. The troopers were parked in non-standard locations on the side of the road. More difficult to see from a safe distance. They were out of their cars standing on the highway, or kneeling just outside the patrol car. And of course, all were using LIDAR guns instead of Radar, for which there are no legal electronic countermeasures available.

What does that mean for people who drive safely at extralegal speeds? Not me of course, but other people. It means hypervigilance to the horizon, scanning for any off road vehicle, all of which should be considered a clear and present danger. Keep track of the behavior of cars in front of you. Unscheduled or atypical braking is a cause for concern.

As far as legal technology to defeat this new threat, there is only one: Waze on a tablet. The enforcement event of this morning was easily anticipated by keeping an observational eye on the Waze app.

Nonetheless, if you value your insurance rates, keep your eyes open for the next few weeks. This could have been an itinerant task force. Or it could be a new program. I have never seen troopers in NJ making a serious effort of this type before, especially the parallel parking and the alarming hyperaggressive behavior of ignoring the Boston Kreme in favor of exiting the comfort and safety of the patrol vehicle. It seems like new orders have come down, perhaps they need some serious REVENUE.

That said, I am issuing a Velocity Detention Warning for Morris County, and a Watch for Passaic and Essex counties. Motorists should be ready for scattered revenue generation activities, with occasional heavier microbursts. All interests should maintain a watchful state and be prepared to deploy the appropriate countermeasures to assure safety and liquidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 12:20 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Extralegal speeds LOL. Nice way to spin driving above the speed limit

Old 09-05-2017, 01:36 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Nothing new, just another revenue maker. Someone has to pay for the over produced click it or ticket commercials and billboards and pensions and salaries.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Thanks for the heads up! I've observed a few of the out-of-vehicle trackers before. I was so taken aback, my first thought was that they had guns drawn. But I digress...

Curious as to the "Waze on a tablet" tip.....

I may be showing my age here, but a tablet is different from a phone, correct?
Curious as to the benefit of one over the other.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:50 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
I hope they keep doing it. The speeders are usually not the ones that are in the accidents, they just cause them.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:05 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
A tablet is generally larger than a phone, think a 8-10" diagonal screen size. Thus making it difficult to have a phone conversation but easier to watch a movie on. But the general technology inside both devices is generally the same. You can make a call from a tablet, you can watch a movie on a phone, just depends on the size you want.

Like a compact car vs. an SUV they both do the same thing just in different sizes.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
A tablet is generally larger than a phone, think a 8-10" diagonal screen size. Thus making it difficult to have a phone conversation but easier to watch a movie on. But the general technology inside both devices is generally the same. You can make a call from a tablet, you can watch a movie on a phone, just depends on the size you want.

Like a compact car vs. an SUV they both do the same thing just in different sizes.

That much I do know
Just curious as to if the Waze app works better on a tablet as opposed to a phone.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:09 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
No, it's going to be the same application with the same data, just formatted for a larger or smaller screen.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
No, it's going to be the same application with the same data, just formatted for a larger or smaller screen.
Gotcha.... thanks much!

Old 09-05-2017, 03:01 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Last time someone tried that on me,,, I walked into court and told em I wasn't even moving. I was sitting still in one spot and the Earth "may have been" moving beneath me at 95 mph,,, but,,, you want me to be responsible for the speed of the Earth???

They were in a good mood and cut me some kind of slack, I forget what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: