Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,402 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I received a failure to yield pedestrian ticket few months ago, actually I just stopped my vehicle (rental u-haul truck) on the stop line not even on the cross walk but cop gave me a ticket "failure to yield pedestrians" and he said its going to be zero points.

When I went to the court (information Centre) after couple weeks they said its gonna be 240$ with two points. So I applied for not feeling guilty. On my court date Judge gave me three options 1) pay 389$ with zero points 2)pay 89$ with 2 points 3) go for a trial. I wasn't sure which one to choose at that moment so I said I will go for first option (389 with zero points). So my question here is will this ticket be in my record and will it affect my insurance? or there won't be any bad record since they said its zero points.

I still have one month time to pay the amount. So want to make sure before I pay.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 02:41 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,832,073 times
It's going in your record but there won't be any points, so the insurance rates won't rise. However, should you be ticketed again you won't get the zero points option.

I'm shocked and surprised that a police officer told you something would be zero points when it's very clearly written in law as two and has been for some time.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,497,627 times
The option you chose is probably the one they call "unsafe driving" or similar and you can only choose it a certain number of times, I forget, about 2 times in ten years or so, otherwise if you use it again you wind up getting 4 points and youare supposed to know and keep track of that.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM

59 posts, read 153,441 times
You can request MVC for your driver's profile which will show if you have any points. This is available for a fees. What you did is what may people do, the prosecutor or in some case the judge may offer a plea deal, where you are pleading guilty for a lesser charge that does not have any points associated, however, the fine amount is increased.
However, that facility is only allowed twice in a span of few years (3 or 7 not sure).
Hope that helps. It might be helpful to check which lesser charge you have pleaded guilty for and to check if there are any points for that charge.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:45 PM

79 posts, read 71,647 times
the ticket will show up on your insurance even if the ticket got thrown out. I know because i just helped a friend out who was in a similar situation. He made his mom's insurance increase because of a ticket. I switched him over to the insurance company i work for since they don't rate you too bad for violations and was able to save him almost 100 bucks a month. PM me and i can give you more of my info so I can see what i can do for you before you get hit with an increase.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:40 AM

638 posts, read 2,233,605 times
Doesn't anyone else think this is typical Jersey BS?

The idea that you get a ticket and then go to court to negotiate down the points by paying the locality more money seems shady and weird, but it's done here all of the time.

I have lived all over the country and this is the only place where I find the cop writes you a 2 point ticket, but then you can go to court and pay a higher fine to get a "lesser" degree charge and then the points are gone.

At the end of the day, the juristications that allow this are not really worried about road safety. They are more worried about raising revenue.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:56 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,497,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
At the end of the day, the juristications that allow this are not really worried about road safety. They are more worried about raising revenue.
It definitely is a NJ thing and every single town I've ever seen has been ringing this cash register for many years.

Other states let you get out of points and a record if you take an online safety course once a year only but at least there's some educational value and awareness there.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 AM

23,306 posts, read 16,987,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
It definitely is a NJ thing and every single town I've ever seen has been ringing this cash register for many years.

Other states let you get out of points and a record if you take an online safety course once a year only but at least there's some educational value and awareness there.
Too bad these muni pirates are allowed to exist in the presence of our elected legislators who care so much about us.

Essentially it is the voter who tolerates this scam by not pressing elected candidates.

NJ is a pay for play state, dominated by democrats, with salivating repubs on the sideline.

Murray is the scariest to run for gov in quite a while and you can be guaranteed the munis will run roughshod over Nj drivers.

Bring back those red light cameras too.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:53 PM

19,037 posts, read 25,112,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Murray is the scariest to run for gov in quite a while
I thought that Murray was dead!
Who knew that he was running for governor?

Old 09-16-2017, 04:25 PM

638 posts, read 2,233,605 times
Getting back the OPs question. Yes, your insurance company will know about your ticket in New Jersey regardless of points. Some insurance companies take zero point tickets into consideration in determining your next renewal rate. Others do not. If its not a moving violation, most of them ignore it.

I got a 4 point ticket in NJ a few years ago. I passed a semi trailer in an industrial area that was doing 5 miles an hour. The ticket was "improper passing". The officer told me I could go to court and pay the charge down. I ended up taking an online drivers ed course to get two points removed.

I deal with Progressive insurance and upon my renewal after that ticket I asked them if they had my defensive driving school record from NJ on file and they said they had it, but they still had a record of my 4 point ticket. My policy rate did not go up much, but it did go up. NJ reported the 4 points and then submitted 2 points reduced once I finished the driving course.

Who knows how each insurance company determines the risk they take to insure you. A lot depends on where you live, your age, and what type of car you drive.

I currently have no points on my licnese, but my insurance rate still increased during my last renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: