Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906
People are victimized throughout NYC everyday but it's never considered a nightmare. Why?

Simple: NYC is more hip than NJ will ever be. So, our ghettos are more hip than the Jersey ghettos.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
can't handle the truth? anyplace is better than newark
How would you know? You've never been to Newark.

Last edited by Tank1906; 03-25-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
You must have read these numbers, right?
I mean, you sound so educated so you must know how to decipher these stats...correct?

In 2006 there were 2839 violent crimes committed in Newark.
1010 out of every 100,000 people in Newark had a crime committed against them...the National average is 553 per 100,000---half of what Newark had.

There were 105 murders, or 37 out of 100,000 people...that is over 5 times the National average of 7 per 100,000.

1288 robberies
1359 aggravated assaults
1982 burglaries
4377 cases of larceny/theft
5097 car thefts
And each and everyone of these crimes surpassed, some by 200%, the National average.

Stop hating small town America.
The majority of us are doing just fine not having to worry about our cars being broken into, or being jumped in a parking lot or having someone put a knife to our throats at a bus stop because some punk wants to terrorize his "territory".
First of all, I was refferring to the stranger attack that the OP experienced. That is rare anyway you slice it. Also, where the OP lives is very safe. You, as many on this site, paint the entire city of Newark with a biased broad brush. There are bad areas where the majority of these crimes occur. The OPs neighborhood is not one of them. I can post post stats all day. Is the ironbound dangerous? Is Forest Hills Dangerous? What about downtown? Let you explain it, Newark is Vietnam in the 60s. Well, as a resident, it isn't. What happended to the OP is unfortunate but what happened to him could, has and will happen any and everywhere.

Also, this is 2008. In 2008, Newark went more than 40 days without a murder with murders and overall crime being down considerably. I know many on this site will say, hah 40 days, that sucks, blah, blah, blah. It's a drastic improvement. Keep your stats and enjoy. When Newark becomes the new Jersey City/Hoboken/NYC, make sure you stay in small town America.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyecho View Post
If you're lucky, you won't be victimized in Newark. It doesn't matter how "street smart" you are. I don't know anyone that's been outside of a car in that city that hasn't been at least approached in an aggressive manner (I have some friends that went to NJIT and Rutgers-Newark for some time). It's not as bad as Camden, where a friend and I were pulled over by the police and told not to stop at a stop light, just to keep driving at least until we were out of the city limits..

Not to repeat what's been said.. but I will. Statistics don't lie, although they don't tell the whole truth. There are also those cases that go unreported, like many rapes or victims who have no faith in the police.

I'd argue stuff happens in Newark every day, like stuff happens in NYC every day. Of course, the same stuff can happen in Small Town Suburbia, NJ as well, and it does. But no one can argue with any validity that it happens just as often..

To the OP, I wish you a safe recovery.
If you're lucky, you wont be victimized wherever you live.

You don't know anybody that's been outside of a car without being approached in an aggressive manner? That's just ridiculous and it takes away from the validity of your post. I think you and the people you know have over active imaginations or you've fed into city-data Newark thread nonsense (see superhero post on this thread). Funny thing is, if you would've asked the OP 1month ago what he thought about Newark, his story would've been a lot different but when crime touches you personally you overreact. I understand his reaction to such an incident but the people on this board will use ONE incident as fuel to rehash the same hatred they enjoy spewing about Newark.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post

You don't know anybody that's been outside of a car without being approached in an aggressive manner? That's just ridiculous and it takes away from the validity of your post. I think you and the people you know have over active imaginations or you've fed into city-data Newark thread nonsense (see superhero post on this thread). Funny thing is, if you would've asked the OP 1month ago what he thought about Newark, his story would've been a lot different but when crime touches you personally you overreact. I understand his reaction to such an incident but the people on this board will use ONE incident as fuel to rehash the same hatred they enjoy spewing about Newark.
the poor perceptions people have of newark are well earned, you cannot undo 40+ years of damage quickly. Newark like most other old urban centers in the US is a cesspool of poverty, crime, drugs and predatory people and to put it very simply, it is not a nice place to be.
You might like it there because you have been conditioned to accept what is found there to be normal but those of us who are more worldly and have a much larger pool of experience to base their conclusions on do not share your rosy view of the place.
Good luck and stay safe

Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Simple: NYC is more hip than NJ will ever be. So, our ghettos are more hip than the Jersey ghettos.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:10 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,605 times
Quote:
First of all, I was refferring to the stranger attack that the OP experienced. That is rare anyway you slice it. Also, where the OP lives is very safe. You, as many on this site, paint the entire city of Newark with a biased broad brush. There are bad areas where the majority of these crimes occur. The OPs neighborhood is not one of them. I can post post stats all day. Is the ironbound dangerous? Is Forest Hills Dangerous? What about downtown? Let you explain it, Newark is Vietnam in the 60s. Well, as a resident, it isn't. What happended to the OP is unfortunate but what happened to him could, has and will happen any and everywhere.

Also, this is 2008. In 2008, Newark went more than 40 days without a murder with murders and overall crime being down considerably. I know many on this site will say, hah 40 days, that sucks, blah, blah, blah. It's a drastic improvement. Keep your stats and enjoy. When Newark becomes the new Jersey City/Hoboken/NYC, make sure you stay in small town America.
Actually it was 43 days and what happened on day 44?
A victim,of Irvington, was approached by a masked gunman, who chased him on foot while firing gunshots. The Victim tried to run into a bodega, but the doors were locked and he was shot to death on the front stoop, police said.
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. That's not human. It's barbarian ....beyond thugs.

Second of all, the town you apparent call home twisted the facts. There were, shootings, AGGRAVATED ASSULTS, rapes, robberies, car thefts and quite naturally MURDERS!!!!!!! But the murders that happened weren't "Official". How does a murder become Official.

Good luck to you, but if I had to look out of my window and see a billboard that says "HELP WANTED: Stop The Killings In Newark Now!" you know there are serious deep rooted issues and I would probably be just like you....Mad and angry at the world. Does the sun shine when you wake up on your street? Do you hear birds chirping and squirrels running around? Maybe rats and mice and pigeons.

You obviously have issues and are on the defense of what is smack in your face. Your posts denote lots of anger and hostility. But do yourself a favor, don't let your children see how you act. It's really sad. NEXT

The last time the city went more than a month without a killing was a 40-day period in 1963 according to Police Director Garry J. McCarthy, who was hired by Mayor Cory A. Booker in the fall of 2006 . Lawd HELP THEM!!.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 PM

39 posts, read 157,319 times
Quote:

Of course with a little luck you won't be victimized wherever you live. Thanks for repeating what I said later on in different words. When crime doesn't hit you or anyone you know personally and you have no concept of empathy, it's hard for you to understand the WHOLE picture. Why don't you go repeat what you said to families who've lost children to gang violence in Newark and see what they have to say?

How does relating my experiences and friends' experiences take away from the validity of my post? It demonstrates how i DON'T completely rely on a bunch of statistics to tell the story. It also demonstrates how I'm not using ONE incident to "hate on" Newark.

Like someone said before, it's nice and all that you work so hard to stand up for Newark's integrity, but you border on delusional. It does have things to offer, I've been to nice and crappy areas alike. I wouldn't turn down a career opportunity in Newark (being in the social work field, it might happen soon). Thing is, I could never live in Newark. I enjoy walking my dog at night, and you just CAN'T do that there. End of story.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 PM

39 posts, read 157,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
Good luck to you, but if I had to look out of my window and see a billboard that says "HELP WANTED: Stop The Killings In Newark Now!" you know there are serious deep rooted issues and I would probably be just like you....Mad and angry at the world. Does the sun shine when you wake up on your street? Do you hear birds chirping and squirrels running around? Maybe rats and mice and pigeons.
Very well said and good point.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
LOL at you all.. :-) punks jump up to get a beat down.. lol..
Ain't nothin' but a beat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey