Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,804,491 times

Advertisements

My nieghborhood is friendly; not overly, but just right. People always greet you, some try to be a little more sociable and will invite you over. All the kids play together (usually in my yard ) and we all look out for each other. We help each other with errands, chores, and picking up the kids from school. Great bunch of caring people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 05:16 PM

240 posts, read 947,545 times
Default brookdale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
My nieghborhood is friendly; not overly, but just right. People always greet you, some try to be a little more sociable and will invite you over. All the kids play together (usually in my yard ) and we all look out for each other. We help each other with errands, chores, and picking up the kids from school. Great bunch of caring people.
I am assuming you are a brookdale resident. Where is brookdale?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:00 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
We live in Maplewood/South Orange and it is about as Mayberry as you get. We have great neighbors, that help each other out, so block parties, happy hours, ride bikes along the streets.

There is baseball, 4th of July parade, Annual Memorial Day Duck race. I absolutely love it here, right off the Midtown Direct for those commuting into the city.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTeach View Post
Someone just replied to something that I wrote stating that they still live in a part of NJ where the kids still play outside, they wave to one another, bring over homemade pies, show up for community days, have BBQ's all summer long. It just sounds like it is exactly what I grew up with and came back looking for but didn't find here in NJ. I would love for my son to grow up in a town like that.

Are there any other areas like this in NJ? Baseball, Apple pie and chevrolet? Where I am now, everyone rushes to this lesson, this type of school, that type of school... Never time to be kids and get the most valuable part of childhood - feeling of belonging to a community.
yes, i live in one. my kids are out morning till night on nice, non-school days. i know all my neighbors, we hang out, watch each other's kids all the time.

oddly enough, i DID NOT grow up like this. i knew a lot of neighbors but you knew who to talk to and who to stay away from ("that's the perv, that's the drunk, that's the crazy cat lady", etc).

Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,804,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTeach View Post
I am assuming you are a brookdale resident. Where is brookdale?
in Bloomfield. Love our neighborhood

Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM

124 posts, read 582,927 times
I live in Newton and our area is very friendly. We are friends with all of our neighbors - in fact celebrated St. Patty's Day w/cornbeef and cabage with all of them tonight! The kids play outside, we live on a quiet street so they can even ride their bikes on our street. All the parents keep an eye out and if anyone ever goes away, we all have each others back and keep our eye's on each other houses, put the garbage out, take in the mail, care for the pets, etc. Plus I feel that we all live by the same value system meaning that noone feels the pressue to keep up w/the jone's so to speak, very down to earth around here.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM

67 posts, read 231,418 times
I was wondering if you could give me more info on woodstown, I was looking into. I am looking for a small town rural feel to raise my daughters in ages 6 & 7. Good schools, nice parks, no crime, reasonable distance to major stores, 295. and nice downtown. thanks for the help.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:09 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored2Day View Post
Someone just replied to something that I wrote stating that they still live in a part of NJ where the kids still play outside, they wave to one another, bring over homemade pies, show up for community days, have BBQ's all summer long. It just sounds like it is exactly what I grew up with and came back looking for but didn't find here in NJ. I would love for my son to grow up in a town like that.

Are there any other areas like this in NJ? Baseball, Apple pie and chevrolet? Where I am now, everyone rushes to this lesson, this type of school, that type of school... Never time to be kids and get the most valuable part of childhood - feeling of belonging to a community.
Camero days are over. No areas like this left. The ones that resemble them have a large senior population. This is possible if all relatives live in the same area and there is like a family business environement.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaofnj View Post
I was wondering if you could give me more info on woodstown, I was looking into. I am looking for a small town rural feel to raise my daughters in ages 6 & 7. Good schools, nice parks, no crime, reasonable distance to major stores, 295. and nice downtown. thanks for the help.
do u mean woodbury or in the woods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey