Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 AM

240 posts, read 947,882 times

Advertisements

Someone just replied to something that I wrote stating that they still live in a part of NJ where the kids still play outside, they wave to one another, bring over homemade pies, show up for community days, have BBQ's all summer long. It just sounds like it is exactly what I grew up with and came back looking for but didn't find here in NJ. I would love for my son to grow up in a town like that.

Are there any other areas like this in NJ? Baseball, Apple pie and chevrolet? Where I am now, everyone rushes to this lesson, this type of school, that type of school... Never time to be kids and get the most valuable part of childhood - feeling of belonging to a community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 10:14 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTeach View Post
Someone just replied to something that I wrote stating that they still live in a part of NJ where the kids still play outside, they wave to one another, bring over homemade pies, show up for community days, have BBQ's all summer long. It just sounds like it is exactly what I grew up with and came back looking for but didn't find here in NJ. I would love for my son to grow up in a town like that.

Are there any other areas like this in NJ? Baseball, Apple pie and chevrolet? Where I am now, everyone rushes to this lesson, this type of school, that type of school... Never time to be kids and get the most valuable part of childhood - feeling of belonging to a community.
there are plenty of places like this in NJ the key is to as far from any urban area as possible

Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
What you're seeing is a sad commentary on today's day and age- not just NJ. To find what you're looking for, you need to get into some of the blue-collar neighborhoods where people can't afford to spend the time/money on soccer, piano lessons, and every other activity known to man- and unfortunately, many of those places aren't the type of areas you may want to live in. I grew up in the type of scenario you're talking about in Avenel, and we had a little bit of it where I lived recently in Iselin, but mostly with the older folks who had been in the neighborhood for a while- most of the newer residents were playing the "keep up with the Jones" game and didn't participate in the activities.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,371 times
Metuchen!!

We moved in the day before a blizzard. The next night neighbors came over with dinner and dessert. We have an annual block party as do quite a few places here. And yes the kids play outside with parental supervision.

There is always an activity going on in town too. On Friday night we went to a chocolate fundraiser at the Old Franklin School. People were all so friendly and helpful.

Good luck!!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 AM

201 posts, read 441,440 times
Quote:

I think these neighberhood's still do exist. You just have to look for them. I understand exactly what your saying. I remember when i was growing up my mom used to tell me " go out and play" and we where outside playing with friends with no worries. Today everyone is locked inside on the computer or video games, or running them to eight different events to keep them busy or off the street. I think Mayberry is what we should be looking for. If you find it tell me.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:35 AM

786 posts, read 2,664,615 times
Quote:
Chevrolet?????

Please, we drive cars that don't fall apart here....

Old 03-16-2008, 10:39 AM

41 posts, read 248,908 times
Southampton(Vincentown), NJ.....The Development is called Cedarwyck, located just off of Rt 206.

I'm selling my house, it's a great community, only reason I'm selling is because I recently got married and we had to get a "our" house otherwise everytime some asks my Wife where she moved to she would always say Jim's house.

Now more about the community, there is about 50 houses in the development, all the lots are aleast 1 acre. Everyone takes good care of their yards, mowed nicely, lots of flowers and trees.

When riding out of the development the kids riding their bikes or playing in their yards will stop and wave at you, same goes for when people are riding by each other in their cars they will wave.

Also all the houses have a community yard once a year the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend. Also last year we had a Garden Tour of some of the houses.

LastYear before that one of the home owners won an Ice Cream Contest from Edy's Ice Cream, where you can invite your friends for a Ice Cream Party, we had it outside in the street in front of her house, had a nice gathering for that too.

So yes, some areas like you are talking about do still exist, In SOUTHAMPTON, NJ

Development is Called CEDARWYCK, 3 Streets, Look for Shenandoah Lane & Willoughby Lane, Rochelle Lane

shenandoah lane, southampton 08088 - Google Maps

Be sure to check out the Satellite Version to and zoom in to see how nice the lots look.

Check it out !

Old 03-16-2008, 11:09 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
What you're seeing is a sad commentary on today's day and age- not just NJ. To find what you're looking for, you need to get into some of the blue-collar neighborhoods where people can't afford to spend the time/money on soccer, piano lessons, and every other activity known to man- and unfortunately, many of those places aren't the type of areas you may want to live in. I grew up in the type of scenario you're talking about in Avenel, and we had a little bit of it where I lived recently in Iselin, but mostly with the older folks who had been in the neighborhood for a while- most of the newer residents were playing the "keep up with the Jones" game and didn't participate in the activities.
What a ridiculous post! So us so called "po working class folk" who live out in the country are friendlier than you self proclaimed rich people? And we should be avoided at any cost because we just might bake you a pie? Wow! I think that tornado did some damage to your brain!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 AM

240 posts, read 947,882 times
Default Wasn't sure how to take that

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
What a ridiculous post! So us so called "po working class folk" who live out in the country are friendlier than you self proclaimed rich people? And we should be avoided at any cost because we just might bake you a pie? Wow! I think that tornado did some damage to your brain!
You know, I wasn't sure how to take that post, but now that you have responded wileynj, I am going to jump on board. I am a school teacher and see on a daily basis the damage that is being done to our children as we shuffle them around every day. It is not a matter of money. It is a matter of ignorance. If you spent a day in an elementary school you would be able to see how socially dependent children have become. Everything that they do is structured. They need to go outside and play. Create there own rules. Rely on their neighbors rather than talk down about each other.

It is not a matter of having money - it is a matter of teaching our children values. Open your eyes Bobkovacs.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Where did I mention anything about "po folk", "country" living, or being "self-proclaimed rich"??? Don't throw words in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey