Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,080,702 times

Advertisements

That is basically what is going to happen if this tax bill passes. It completely changes the balance of the rent vs buy equation, especially here in New Jersey where confiscatory property taxes are already stripping homeowners of billions in private wealth. So not only is property tax deductibility lost, but the basic demand for homes is gutted. So if you just recently found yourself finally above water from recent increases in property values, the State is about to push your head back below the water level, where they feel it belongs.

And your silence is tacit permission. Yet do we hear any protests? Not much. Most are quietly going to accept this travesty. And they deserve what they get. There are plenty of protests to release disgusting convicted criminals from prison, but deafening silence when the State comes a calling to strip you of what you earn and own. They count on the fact that you are busy and your life is hectic, and you are doing exactly what they hoped: Nothing at all.

So when your home drops 10% in value and your income tax bill jumps 30%, don't beotch. It will be too late and you will already have bent over and invited the invasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 08:00 PM

252 posts, read 458,549 times
If income tax laws drove house prices, why are house prices up 9% in Hudson County this year but flat across the state overall, and down 6% in Gloucester County? Income tax rules haven't budged in New Jersey while real estate outcomes separate widely. Let's face it, local economic conditions drive real estate values, not tax laws or hyperventilating realtors.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,277,114 times
My house value (never mind mortgage) is less than $500,000. AMT already loses me property tax deductibility.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,280,474 times
I also think that if there is no state income tax, property tax or mortgage deduction then housing prices will drop over time - but not in one day.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
If income tax laws drove house prices, why are house prices up 9% in Hudson County this year but flat across the state overall, and down 6% in Gloucester County? Income tax rules haven't budged in New Jersey while real estate outcomes separate widely. Let's face it, local economic conditions drive real estate values, not tax laws or hyperventilating realtors.

A ridiculous and illogical question since no change to the income tax law has yet taken place. Many factors enter the picture, including tax laws. Of course, the tax law portion won't be known until there is a final bill. When and if SALT goes away, homeowners will face significant damage to their equity.

But will they care? They killed us with the regressive and horrific mega gas tax increase, and the sheep didn't even look up.

That's why we deserve the leadership we have, we deserve Murphy and the obliteration to come, we deserve it all because we let it happen and do absolutely nothing about it.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:47 PM

And as of late tonight the bill has hit a snag? And why? Because a few "Republicans" want an amendment that causes AUTOMATIC TAX INCREASES if growth does not occur.

Astounding. Republicans, who are supposed to favor low taxes and limited regulation are more pissed than any Democrat about the possibility of getting less of our money. So they want to GUARANTEE their income through AUTOMATIC tax increases.

Indicating 1) that the difference between a Democrat and a Republican is zero-zilch-nada.
and 2) they don't even have the courage of their own convictions or belief that lower taxes will cause any growth.

There is no 2 party system. There is only one party: The Statist party. And it exists to grow ITSELF, not the economy.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:35 AM

857 posts, read 839,362 times
[quote=nybbler;50273000]My house value (never mind mortgage) is less than $500,000. AMT already loses me property tax deductibility.[/QUOTE

If you have over a 500k mortgage and pay above 10k property tax in NJ then your likely in AMT territory. If your not then your probably not very financially responsible anyway.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:05 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,219,859 times
[quote=Jackal1;50274222]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
My house value (never mind mortgage) is less than $500,000. AMT already loses me property tax deductibility.[/QUOTE

If you have over a 500k mortgage and pay above 10k property tax in NJ then your likely in AMT territory. If your not then your probably not very financially responsible anyway.
IMO:

NJ Government, Municipal/Town and the Federal government aren't financially responsible.

The Federal government (tax bill) will expose NJ Government and Municipal/Town taxation mismanagement.

"We" shouldn't be in this "pickle" in the first place.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:58 AM

13,416 posts, read 28,799,381 times
I truly believe many do not understand the scope of the tax bill and the ramifications of it!! Yes ramifications because as I read it there is no benefit for the middle class.

You have many who bought at the pinnacle of pricing before the crash and found themselves upside down in their mortgage and only now beginning to get equal, that gain will be lost IMO

Old 12-01-2017, 08:06 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,280,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I truly believe many do not understand the scope of the tax bill and the ramifications of it!! Yes ramifications because as I read it there is no benefit for the middle class.

You have many who bought at the pinnacle of pricing before the crash and found themselves upside down in their mortgage and only now beginning to get equal, that gain will be lost IMO
There is benefit for the middle class, just not in high tax and high priced housing states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey