Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:53 PM

3 posts, read 30,930 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody.. I´m starting a course at Kaplan Medical Center located in
1 Gateway Ctr, Newark, NJ 07102.. I´m going with 5 more friends, and we are looking to rent a place. I´ve heard that Newark is very dangerous, and we want to find a place the closest distance possible to that location, but of course we want to be in a safe area.. Is Newark really that dangerous? Are there some neighborhoods in Newark that can be really safe? What locations outside Newark may be safe and close enough to Kaplan Medical Center? Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 30,930 times
Come on guys a little help please..

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM

240 posts, read 947,595 times
Not familiar with Newark - I only hear that it is bad. Hopefully someone will respond who can help you. There have been other threads about Newark.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 AM

253 posts, read 1,266,605 times
huh boy. here it goes again - another Newark topic. Yes, there are maybe 10 topics on this same exact subject. There's a sudden obsession with Newark. The next posters to jump in will be:
apvguy,
Tank - - -and then an argument will start
then Tahiti will tell everybody to calm down.
then this topic will turn into 12 pages.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
huh boy. here it goes again - another Newark topic. Yes, there are maybe 10 topics on this same exact subject. There's a sudden obsession with Newark. The next posters to jump in will be:
apvguy,
Tank - - -and then an argument will start
then Tahiti will tell everybody to calm down.
then this topic will turn into 12 pages.

LMAO! you nailed that! LOL

Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LMAO! you nailed that! LOL
Yeah no kidding. Last month it was Trenton, this month it's Newark. Can we do Camden and Paterson next month? As great as I think these forums are I think they are a lousy place to get information about any area that's even remotely considered "urban."

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM

63 posts, read 346,094 times
i haven't lived in newark but i know some people who live in belleville.. i don't think it has the same reputation as newark but it is about 4 or 5 miles to newark.. if you commute, try hoboken you can get to newark by path train

Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 AM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
Let me just say this.

There are many things in life you can gamble with.

You can gamble with your money.

you can gamble with your future.

you can even gamble with your heart.

But NEVER gamble with your life, it's the one loss you can not recover from.

Towns get bad reputations for good reasons, but heck you might get lucky and have nothing bad happen....

If you're a lucky type of person.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM

11 posts, read 60,937 times
Newark has a huge crime rate.. Just watch TV.. They are already on their 7th murder since the new year.. It depends where u live in Newark and i'm being honest.. From experience anything before penn station is nice, after penn station in the direction toward Essex Community College is not so nice. I wouldn't live past the college.. Unless your in the society hill section. But like i said they have nice areas but who got time to be looking for them. Belleville, kearny, and Harrison are close to Nwk. Jersey city is to but there are areas in Jersey City also that are more rowdier than others also... I mean every city is not going to be crime free and gang free...

Just take your time, meet some people, ride through the areas all times of the day and hang out a lil and you can meet some people that will let you know what's what. ON here everybody got an opinion and most times they are just listening to what they here and what everyone else is telling them.

I was gonna move in this bldg and i was waiting outside and i stopped one of the neighbors, and they gave me the scoop and I didn't even bother to let the landlord show me the apt...

Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM

36 posts, read 257,141 times
Hello F_Clero
I would suggest you to make your own judment, I went to school in Newark to Rutgers University and NJIT and nothing ever happened to me. I also tried to set my boundaries and would only stay within the campus and not go into the inner areas of Newark.

Then again, Newark has improved a lot there are new developments in the area, also Prudential Center, NJPAC and overall I think is improving but still one has to be cautious and careful about your surroundings.
In regards, to places to live, I would look into Kearny. I currently live there and there is even shuttle bus for free that drive students from Rutgers to Kearny and Harrison. I wouldn't suggest Harrison too much if you own a car because is overpopulated and parking is hard to find. Also in Kearny, there is public transportation to Newark and the city and all major highways. To find apt. in Kearny, Harrison, North Arlington, Lyndhurst Belleville go to the classified section of the observer (the town newspaper) The Observer Online I lived in Kearny for years and so far is safe, is getting crowded but still we have good major and it has stores around us, shoprite, kmart, marshalls,walmart...etc is an ok town.
Just a suggestion hope it helps.
Elenitak ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey