Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:00 PM

565 posts, read 722,391 times

Advertisements

Those are all good towns. I don't know as much about the schools in Ramsey or Paramus, but I have coworkers who live in every single one of the other towns you listed, and they all like where they live, and like the towns. You can't really go wrong in any of those--just find a house you like in your budget out of any one of those. Just get a realtor and let them steer you around. If you're looking at Hillsdale and Westwood, you may as well be open to all the surrounding towns like River Vale, Montvale, Woodcliff lake, Oradell, Harrington Park, Old Tappan, etc. Some of these towns are pricier on the whole, but you never know where you'll find an individual house in your budget. And they are all good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Miah View Post
Right now, I'm sort of focused on Ramsey, Park Ridge, Mahwah, Paramus, Hillsdale, Westwood, and Glen Rock.
All nice towns. It's good to have a range of towns because once you did down into house hunting, it will give you more options. Nothing worse than zeroing in on a town and then hating all of the housing in it. I forget your story, but you should probably rent for a year if possible

I would take Glen Rock off the list if you are working in Chestnut Ridge though

Old 06-06-2018, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 18,562 times
Thanks, Books.

We were planning to rent for a year, but rentals are going to be as much - if not more - than a mortgage on a $550kish house will be. And my company's relocation package refunds closing costs on both the home sale and purchase and grosses up the taxes. So given both of those factors, and because we may only stay three years or so, we're now leaning towards buying once again.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:37 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Thanks, Books.

We were planning to rent for a year, but rentals are going to be as much - if not more - than a mortgage on a $550kish house will be. And my company's relocation package refunds closing costs on both the home sale and purchase and grosses up the taxes. So given both of those factors, and because we may only stay three years or so, we're now leaning towards buying once again.
It's tough to pass up those relo deals! Good luck house hunting. You will be fine in any of the towns you mentioned I am sure. People pick the towns apart but really many of them are more alike than different. Focus on finding a house you love!

Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
I've been coming up about once every other month for the last several months, but things have been crazy and I just had a back surgery, so I haven't spent enough time in the specific towns to get a good feel for them. I'll be up again in a few weeks and hope to do a better job at that then.

Right now, I'm sort of focused on Ramsey, Park Ridge, Mahwah, Paramus, Hillsdale, Westwood, and Glen Rock.
All nice towns. I think you'll be able to find something in Mahwah or Ramsey. The closer you are to work, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey