Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:22 AM

522 posts, read 992,273 times

Advertisements

If the State And Local Tax (SALT) deduction is eliminated, will rents increase ? Will landlords pass on the increase to the tenants especially in high-rises or complexes where all the apartments or dwellings are rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 11:58 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Probably not, because they'll still be deductible as a business expense.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:07 PM

351 posts, read 482,361 times
But what about the higher demand for larger and more luxurious apartments that home owners will desire to stop getting double taxed?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:58 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
But what about the higher demand for larger and more luxurious apartments that home owners will desire to stop getting double taxed?
Presumably home prices would adjust to reflect the changes in the law over time.

I don’t think we will see significant changes though.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:05 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
Not significant. Under the current tax regime, such high income owners are already unable to deduct state and local taxes due to AMT.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
If the State And Local Tax (SALT) deduction is eliminated, will rents increase ? Will landlords pass on the increase to the tenants especially in high-rises or complexes where all the apartments or dwellings are rentals?
For the apartments in 2-4 family dwellings, which are quite numerous, there will most likely be upward price pressure on rents by the removal of this deduction. Many owners of properties like these do not expense property taxes, they are accounted for on Schedule A of a personal return. They will be raped by the elimination of the SALT deduction. I would expect them to try to recoup some of this loss by charging more for rent.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:29 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
For the apartments in 2-4 family dwellings, which are quite numerous, there will most likely be upward price pressure on rents by the removal of this deduction. Many owners of properties like these do not expense property taxes, they are accounted for on Schedule A of a personal return. They will be raped by the elimination of the SALT deduction. I would expect them to try to recoup some of this loss by charging more for rent.
This is false. You are a realtor, I am a CPA. Anyone who owns a rental property deducts the real estate taxes paid on that property directly against the rental income generated by the property. The potential removal of the state and local tax deduction as an itemized deduction on Schedule A has no effect on this.

I think the whole idea of eliminating this deduction is Derr Trumppff’s way of trying to stick it to the high tax blue states that voted against him.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:42 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
This is false. You are a realtor, I am a CPA. Anyone who owns a rental property deducts the real estate taxes paid on that property directly against the rental income generated by the property. The potential removal of the state and local tax deduction as an itemized deduction on Schedule A has no effect on this.

I think the whole idea of eliminating this deduction is Derr Trumppff’s way of trying to stick it to the high tax blue states that voted against him.
Removing SALT hurts more than just blue states. Any urban area with continuously improving property values will feel the squeeze. Middle class income earners who bought many years ago or those who received financial help from family will most feel the pain.

I agree this move feels targeted at Democratic voters but more at the city level. Even in red states the cities generally vote blue and the long term GOP fear is growth in liberal cities like Austin will eventually overpower the suburbs and swing states at the national election level. SALT changes might kill the explosive small city growth and lead liberal voters to flee for the suburbs and thus ensure red states stay red.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

Is this true for owner occupied 2-4 family dwellings also? I didn't think taxes could be expensed as you are saying. But if I am wrong, I will defer to your expertise.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:38 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
I wound't worry so much about SALT as I would Murphy with his more taxes and fees. And I am not saying that to scare anyone, just how I see it. NJ is going to turn into IL and CA. Too expensive for the working middle class..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey