Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

what if i get something like this and just "mulch" it? my neighbor said it just turns into billions of small leaves instead of big leaves but i watched some youtube videos and it seems to make the grass look pretty clear. i can ride around my lawn like a farmer for a few hours. thats easy enough.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cade...LT42/205617431
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im just going to have to have more kids to do this yard.

im thinking about getting some more substantial equipment to handle this job. i already purchased a backpack blower but i may go further. it seems like the financials of spending on equipment work when it comes to paying a service for the job.

i have heard of controversy regarding the noise of blowers. my neighbor right across the street from me was blowing his whole front yard in the morning and i couldnt hear a thing from my house. either people with problems have much closer houses or very sensitive ears.
I live in a condo complex, so while it's nice that we have someone else to do the yardwork, we also get treated to the noise.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:12 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,145 times
I haven't raked leaves it 20 years. I just mulch them with the lawnmower. Also have never watered or fertilized. Not sure why people want to promote the growth of their grass and then spend hours each week in the summer mowing. Natural lawns are better in every way.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I haven't raked leaves it 20 years. I just mulch them with the lawnmower. Also have never watered or fertilized. Not sure why people want to promote the growth of their grass and then spend hours each week in the summer mowing. Natural lawns are better in every way.

When you have a lot of mature trees and there are mounds of wet leaves on your lawn, the mower doesn't work well.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:13 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When you have a lot of mature trees and there are mounds of wet leaves on your lawn, the mower doesn't work well.
This is true. We have a bunch of huge old maple and ash trees on our property. Ugh.....those maples!

Old 11-01-2017, 04:33 PM

522 posts, read 992,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

i am thinking about getting some kind of leaf vacuum thingie. this seems like a very expensive proposition.
Which vacuum tool? I bought one Toro vacuum & blower. The vacuum thing is not worth it. Sold it after two seasons.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
Which vacuum tool? I bought one Toro vacuum & blower. The vacuum thing is not worth it. Sold it after two seasons.
something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Billy-Goat-KV.../dp/B00EAIPCWY

an alternative which i seem to be changing over to considering would be a riding lawnmower for mulching the leaves. it seems that the riding lawnmower may be a better tool and offer the ability to do other things with the product than the dedicated leaf vaccum/shredder.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,570 times
I was quoted at over $2k for a fall cleanup. 1 acre, mostly wooded.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 AM

414 posts, read 296,592 times
Here is an idea. If you use a service, whether it be simple grass cutting, or more involved leaf cleaning...

Everyone I know stopped the contract and bought a Deere zero turn. Couple that with a DR vac system.about 4 grand all in, for tractor and vac setup. Now amortize that over weekly cuttings, plus leaf cleanup.

Just a thought. It will pay for itself in 2 years.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
Here is an idea. If you use a service, whether it be simple grass cutting, or more involved leaf cleaning...

Everyone I know stopped the contract and bought a Deere zero turn. Couple that with a DR vac system.about 4 grand all in, for tractor and vac setup. Now amortize that over weekly cuttings, plus leaf cleanup.

Just a thought. It will pay for itself in 2 years.
i noticed those zero turns are substantially more expensive than riding mowers. worth the extra expense? how much faster can you do a yard with that? my total property is 1 acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey