Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 10:30 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Why don't our politicians do something to draw young professionals from other cities across the US?
Your professionals move to North Jersey because of proximity to NYC.

The rest of the state lacks a "magnet" to attract them. Why would a young professional move to Trenton or Cape May when there are few professional employers and lacking social scenes. There is not yet a housing crisis in Philly to convince young people to flock to cheaper housing in NJ.

Outside of the NYC metro belt the rest of NJ is bedroom communities and beach towns. That's not a recipe for attracting young workers and political leadership can't do much about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 10:55 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times
There are some smaller areas that attract young people. Morristown is an example.

Down the shore Red Bank and to a greater extent Asbury Park

Now if you want to talk about an area that attracts young people there is no comparison to Lakewood

Old 11-19-2017, 12:25 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Now if you want to talk about an area that attracts young people there is no comparison to Lakewood
Isn't that more production than attraction?

Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Isn't that more production than attraction?

Combination

Many young people come to study at a highly ranked yeshiva and stay

Old 11-19-2017, 04:02 PM

186 posts, read 175,568 times
[quote=tom1944;50174394]Combination

Many young people come to study at a highly ranked yeshiva and stay[/QUOTE While pushing out residents in Toms River Jackson Howell.This has been a ongoing war. I am only quoting What I have read.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:54 PM

[quote=retired58;50175142]
Quote:
Combination

Many young people come to study at a highly ranked yeshiva and stay[/QUOTE While pushing out residents in Toms River Jackson Howell.This has been a ongoing war. I am only quoting What I have read.
I live in that area. People should have the right to live where they want. Free market at work.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
[quote=retired58;50175142]
Quote:
Combination

Years ago, I drove to Lakewood to visit the arboretum at Georgian Court University. I was absolutely shocked by the condition, look of the place. Apparently, leaving your trash can on the sidewalk and filling your yard (after having killed the grass) with Playskool plastic junk was all the rage.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
Cheaper does not mean a better or equally job. Quality is the key as this will last longer and cost less in the long run. The most important thing to do is find reviews on the people who are going to work on your house. I am a carpenter of 40 years and doing roofing is long past for me. I did not use the cheapest or the most expensive. I went with the Best reviews and some one local. I used Biondo roofing. Wow what a great job they did and it was worth every cent, very professional and answered every question without delay or have to wait until the boss showed up as he was the only one who could speak English . This is not a knock on minorities as they are hard working people but are usually not trained and schooled as the local guys are .
I disagree that I need all native born locals to get a job well done.

One, maybe two locals, depending on the size of the job, the rest of questionable immigrant status ("don't ask, don't tell" is my motto) and we're good to go with money left in our pockets.

I don't care if the worker bees speak English or not as long as the person I'm doing business with does.

Like it or not, that's where the tide is heading and I'm not going to fight it. No point in that.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM

586 posts, read 314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Maybe you'd have a point if you didn't use the word "Trumpkins" (in orange)....

The only point he has is on his head.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
I'd love to see our hardworking politicians in Trenton do something really radical and make NJ a sanctuary state for businesses to want to relocate from elsewhere.

That would bring in the already employed; young people to gentrify our urban areas, families for the suburbs, possibly older workers who would retire and stay.

It seems whenever a business magazine conducts a survey regarding business friendly states NJ never fares well.

A growth in employment of middle class and above salaries would be good for this state.

More salaries means more taxpayers for Trenton.

Why can't those bozos figure it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey