Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 03:23 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times

Advertisements

[quote=tom1944;50175541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post

I live in that area. People should have the right to live where they want. Free market at work.
Yes,they should not have the right to wreck the town or force the existing towns folk out and yes that is what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 04:24 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
I agree that when people of different backgrounds move into an area they change the character of the area. I saw it when I lived in the Edison area and there was an influx of immigrants from Asia. That does not make it a bad thing.

You will have to define wreck the town and explain how they force other people out

Old 11-21-2017, 04:29 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'd love to see our hardworking politicians in Trenton do something really radical and make NJ a sanctuary state for businesses to want to relocate from elsewhere.

That would bring in the already employed; young people to gentrify our urban areas, families for the suburbs, possibly older workers who would retire and stay.

It seems whenever a business magazine conducts a survey regarding business friendly states NJ never fares well.

A growth in employment of middle class and above salaries would be good for this state.

More salaries means more taxpayers for Trenton.

Why can't those bozos figure it out?
My recommendation- get rid of the corporate tax. On paper they say it raises $2.8 billion however there are so many grants paid out to select businesses it realy only nets about $600 million.

On a total of about $50 billion spent between NJ and Federal funds $600 million could be found

No corp tax with our proximity to NYC could lure businesses

Old 11-21-2017, 05:18 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
My recommendation- get rid of the corporate tax. On paper they say it raises $2.8 billion however there are so many grants paid out to select businesses it realy only nets about $600 million.

On a total of about $50 billion spent between NJ and Federal funds $600 million could be found

No corp tax with our proximity to NYC could lure businesses
and even that can backfire. lol, there is this rumor going around that Amazon is looking for a 2nd headquarters and that has cities vying for the business. But you should see the promises Philly is making to lure the business. in order to get Amazon here there will be absolutely no benefit to the city and some analysis have said it will actually cost taxpayers more.

there is the claim that it will bring high paying jobs to the are but even that maybe exaggerated. usually the high powered management personnel come with the company.

so I'm watching this a bit skeptically

I don't know what would be good.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:30 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
I'm going to say couple things one more time. A lot of these matter far less to us than what's playing out on federal level. We're fighting about small stuff and ignoring the real issue at hand.

Repeal of net neutrality and garbage of tax reform that's being shoved through will hurt you far more than what's happening at at state level and more immediately because both of these are being shoved through as we speak.

Senate and house are doing whatever they can to push that garbage of tax reform through so they can claim they did something during mid year elections. That garbage tax reform for senate version completely removes a tax break that allows taxpayers to deduct state and local income, sales and property taxes. Can't deduct property taxes in senate version. Yes, you read that right. You are going to get screwed.

Net neutrality repeal means ISP can start to much more easily cap and charge more money for 'speed' lanes for same service we already get. This hurts you directly as consumer out of pocket but also as potential employees to new businesses, specifically tech startups who doesn't have scale like Google, Facebook, Amazon who can pay for these speed lanes.

I know its hard to look beyond our own yard when there is a dog pile of crap in there. But there is a blazing forest fire few miles out and we're not paying attention. There are elected officials who back these two stupid efforts in our congress in NJ whom far more people should be pushing to support what benefits us, not the corporations or politicians for their fund raising...

Edit: Like this rep who falsely says repeal of FCC is good for us consumers

https://lance.house.gov/newsroom/pre...ality-ruling-0

Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 AM

186 posts, read 175,609 times
[quote=G1..;50188497]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post

Yes,they should not have the right to wreck the town or force the existing towns folk out and yes that is what is going on.
That is what is going as as they have put restrictions on Real Estate Solicitations. There are pressuring and Harassing current owners to move or be the only non-Jewish family on the block. They go around knocking on doors as they were told by current owners they don't want to be bother.

Last edited by retired58; 11-21-2017 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM

186 posts, read 175,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I'm going to say couple things one more time. A lot of these matter far less to us than what's playing out on federal level. We're fighting about small stuff and ignoring the real issue at hand.

Repeal of net neutrality and garbage of tax reform that's being shoved through will hurt you far more than what's happening at at state level and more immediately because both of these are being shoved through as we speak.

Senate and house are doing whatever they can to push that garbage of tax reform through so they can claim they did something during mid year elections. That garbage tax reform for senate version completely removes a tax break that allows taxpayers to deduct state and local income, sales and property taxes. Can't deduct property taxes in senate version. Yes, you read that right. You are going to get screwed.

Net neutrality repeal means ISP can start to much more easily cap and charge more money for 'speed' lanes for same service we already get. This hurts you directly as consumer out of pocket but also as potential employees to new businesses, specifically tech startups who doesn't have scale like Google, Facebook, Amazon who can pay for these speed lanes.

I know its hard to look beyond our own yard when there is a dog pile of crap in there. But there is a blazing forest fire few miles out and we're not paying attention. There are elected officials who back these two stupid efforts in our congress in NJ whom far more people should be pushing to support what benefits us, not the corporations or politicians for their fund raising...

Edit: Like this rep who falsely says repeal of FCC is good for us consumers

https://lance.house.gov/newsroom/pre...ality-ruling-0
Now onto more Important stuff.Yes we are going to get screwed.With the House version we get less screwed as property deductions get capped at $10.000. People living(NEast) in Conn NY NJ Phil Boston are going to get big time screwed especially the Senate version. Do you also lose mortgage interest with either version? Can NJ get a double whammy with Murphy policies and the Senate tax reform?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
I don't think Murphy should get the credit. I was going to leave NJ anyways.

HA!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 AM

5 posts, read 6,001 times
I'm in my late 20's and I've made the decision to leave NJ. It was a long time coming, but Murphy's election was the icing on the cake. I make -what I consider- a decent income - but it's not enough to buy a house here despite living modestly. What's the point then? It might be "the same everywhere", but I'd rather pick my poison in a state where I'd have a little bit of a chance...a safer place..and to keep my gun rights as they are.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:23 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirl777 View Post
I'm in my late 20's and I've made the decision to leave NJ. It was a long time coming, but Murphy's election was the icing on the cake. I make -what I consider- a decent income - but it's not enough to buy a house here despite living modestly. What's the point then? It might be "the same everywhere", but I'd rather pick my poison in a state where I'd have a little bit of a chance...a safer place..and to keep my gun rights as they are.
Kim G wasn't going to make a house any cheaper nor make owning a gun any easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey