Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 94,730 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a house in Rockaway. How are the schools and crime in rockaway. I would also like to know about white meadowlake. I have seen the area. It looks beautiful but all hilly region. How good are the roads when it snows. The roads are very wavy.

Please advice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrana View Post
I am planning to buy a house in Rockaway. How are the schools and crime in rockaway. I would also like to know about white meadowlake. I have seen the area. It looks beautiful but all hilly region. How good are the roads when it snows. The roads are very wavy.

Please advice. Thanks
Rockaway is a very nice, safe area and the schools are decent. White Meadow is nice...older, smaller homes. Has a large Jewish population as well if that is of interest. Nothing really bad to say - good choice : )

Old 03-18-2008, 04:25 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Township is much better than the Borough. I think WML is in the Township....

Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Township is much better than the Borough. I think WML is in the Township....
is in both the twp and boro. Line runs through portions of WML. I like the borough..old fashion charm - nice old victorians. OP if you move to Rockaway though you will have to aquire a nickname - it's a Rockaway thing : ))

Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,941 times
I grew up in WML and my parents still live there. My brother and I attended Stony Brook Elementary and Copeland Middle Schools. Yeah, this was a while ago ( ) but both schools prepared me well for high school, and later, college.

The hills are great for biking and walking - good exercise. If memory serves, the plows came through and took care of the snow in the winter. I don't recall having problems driving in WML in bad weather. Take it slow and you should be fine.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 27,557 times
Default Love It

I Live in White Meadow Lake great place great schools and they clean the roads from snow quickly that it wont effect your need to leave the house.
If you are still looking for a ho,e a friend is selling her house in a very nice street

Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 AM

17 posts, read 80,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny819 View Post
I Live in White Meadow Lake great place great schools and they clean the roads from snow quickly that it wont effect your need to leave the house.
If you are still looking for a ho,e a friend is selling her house in a very nice street
LOL. That was too funny...

Old 03-24-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR018 View Post
LOL. That was too funny...
I picked up on that as well... so I sent it to Spitzer : )

Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
I work there. All I can say is that the houses are overpriced IMO. My house for 450k would easily go for 650+ out there.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,955 times
Exclamation Check for abandoned mines in WML at Twp Library

I lived in Rockaway Twp about 15 years ago. The only concern I'd have about the area is abandoned iron mines. There were a lot of mines in the area in the 1800's which have been closed & abandoned, and there is always the danger of sinkholes from the abandoned mine shafts. They were in operation over 100 yrs ago, so the wooden beams holding up the tunnels eventually get weak and collapse. If you go to the Rockaway Township Library and ask the librarian for the Rockaway Twp iron mine maps, they will let you look at them to see where they are in relation to a property you are considering. I looked at them 15 years ago when a shaft collapsed at my condo complex on Richard Mine Road. It was in a parking lot and could easily have swallowed a car. Luckily no one was there when it collapsed. I remember looking at the maps and seeing mines in the White Meadow Lake section, which surprised me. I don't know where they are in relation to houses, so they might not be an issue - but I'd definitely check first if you're thinking of buying. Better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey