Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 04:23 PM

232 posts, read 278,151 times

Advertisements

People in northeast are maybe more aggressive but more genuine. I was out west that superficial friendliness and hospitality is just big bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 06:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Dont listen to these other posters. They are perfect examples of the kinds of people you will run into. In your face, blunt, way too serious.

I grew up in Northern NJ, and it is either snobby rich entitled kids, racist, insular and introverted people. Sure there are nice people scattered about, but they are hard to find, and are outnumbered by the people I describe.

Now I hear south NJ is much different. More laid back, and friendlier. It must be the Pennsylvania influence, or the Baltimore, being closer to the south.
Yet again I must comment, some people must have terrible friends.

I'd like to think I'm nice OP. And all my friends, too. I wouldn't want to be friends with them if they weren't nice.

But I agree with the person who said friendly is a different word. I also think I'm kind and nice, but I'm not outwardly friendly. I don't see the need to be, I'll never see the majority of people I pass on the street or am in line behind at Target ever again. Northeastern NJ is a dense, crowded, busy area. Don't have time or patience to always be "on" and friendly to everyone. I think it baffles a lot of us when people call us rude because of it. It's just a different culture. People don't get it unless they're from a similar area or spend a good amount of time here.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:57 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
People from NJ are nice.

It is mostly the people from Staten Island and Long Island that were on the Jersey Shore that aren't. Along with all the immigrants.

Anything south of the Driscoll bridge over the Raritan river is fine.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:12 PM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
Kate your post was poorly worded at best but I’m reconsidering my decision to ban you from New Jersey. Besides your husband didn’t write the ignorant post so it wouldn’t be fair for him to not have the opportunity to teach at some great schools. Perhaps we will let him move here and you can come too in a probationary basis.
Seriously New Jersey is a great place to live and raise a family. It has just about everything. Not the best of anything but we have it all covered.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 PM

88,510 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
In NJ, people look you in the face and curse. Please move to Georgia where there are no people on the streets and no sidewalks...
This is true.

After 30 years of commuting through Hoboken, I found myself muttering "WTF are you looking at?" when people stared at me. Out loud. And I didn't care anymore if they heard me.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katesroses View Post
Thank you Toski1! I am not a troll either, and really was surprised by the reaction I got from the post I made. I thought a troll was someone who throws out insults and then disappears? Not sure, as I've actually never posted on a forum. But I feel bad if my question offended anybody. Just trying to clarify the general impression online that NJ is not considered friendly (I found several articles that talked about the least friendly states in the USA and NJ was always in the top 5). I actually really appreciate it when people are blunt (not rude, which is something entirely different), I hate it when I have something on my face and nobody says anything! So thank you for clarifying this perception of the state for me, I appreciate it.

It sounds like it might be a little more fast-paced of a culture that I am looking for. I was just tempted by it because of my family that live there and the high education standards. But it might be a better fit if I find something similar in one of the southern states. I prefer not to live the fast-paced life
Don’t feel too bad. You just hit a collective nerve. New Jerseyeans tend to be very proud of NJ, even when we bash its taxes, corruption, etc. Basically, even if we state negative opinions of NJ, very few of us are ok with an out-of-stater saying the same things. We all stick together here, mostly, when it comes to defending our state from outside attack. Probably somewhat stems from NJ being the butt of many national jokes.

Last edited by Kiru; 11-07-2017 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Stupid iPhone autocorrect!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Don’t feel too bad. You just hit a collective nerve. New Jerseyeans tend to be very proud of NJ, even when we bash its taxes, corruption, etc. Basically, even if we state negative opinions of NJ, very few of us are ok with an out-of-stater saying the same things. We all stick together here, mostly, when it comes to defending our state from outside attack. Probably somewhat stems from NJ being the butt of many national jokes.
i am not proud of nj (even though i am captainnj). i am an individual just like everyone else here. being judged collectively on a personal trait like that seems ridiculous. i find that everyone is friendly to me wherever i go. inside and outside of nj.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:29 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I don't think the question was a big deal.

There are regional differences in friendliness regarding how people go about their daily lives.

Let's be real, NJ isn't the friendliest place in that way.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my town is so unfriendly that i have started wearing a protective cup to local events because of all the nut shots i have been receiving.
Might be time to sit back and reflect on your outward persona but I have heard that about Holmdel.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 AM

252 posts, read 459,069 times
NJ is a very diverse state, great place to raise a family. It all depends on what you prefer as friendly neighborhood. But it's definitely a friendly state with a bunch of racist and ignorant people just like any other state. As far as you find a safe neighborhood you are good to go.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey