Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

Having lived most of my life in NJ,before moving south ( South FL and now the northern suburbs of Atlanta), I think you can find friendly people everywhere. The difference between a NJ friend vs elsewhere, is that NJ friends are friends for life. It may take a bit more effort to find them, but once you do, you're set.

Also, many, many of my friends are in NJ because that's where their extended families are. And a lot of socialization revolves around those extended family groups. When most weekends involve birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, etc, there may not be much time hanging out with friends.

But, OP, should you decide to look into GA, rest assured not all the schools are terrible. The APS system is nothing to brag about, definitely. But just a few miles north are schools that rival NJ in every sense. Teacher salaries are less, but so is the cost of living,by a wide margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 02:04 PM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
They can pay teachers less in GA because they are so nice and willing to teach all the nice people for considerable less money.
Also you can ride a pink bicycle in GA free from ridicule because everyone is so nice.

Hey where’s Kate?

Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
They can pay teachers less in GA because they are so nice and willing to teach all the nice people for considerable less money.
Also you can ride a pink bicycle in GA free from ridicule because everyone is so nice.

Hey where’s Kate?
She'll be along shortly to tell you that it's 'considerably'.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
She'll be along shortly to tell you that it's 'considerably'.
And I’ll reply with a big “ohhhh bless your ❤️ “.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:40 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I think people in New Jersey can be nice, but after working in retail as a teen (18 and 19 years old), you can see all the rude ones (and learn how many rude ones there are) that you won't see as a regular person off the job.
Many years ago, I worked in retailing--at A&S in Woodbridge--as a second job.
At least once a week, when I had a line of people at my register as closing time was drawing near, someone from the back of the line would call out something along the lines of, "I'm from Staten Island. Can I go to the front of the line?".

My standard response was, "It's not up to me, it's up to the folks who are lined-up in front of you". None of the NJ folks ever reacted rudely to these self-entitled Staten Island creatures, even though they were probably tempted to do so. The only customers who consistently displayed boorish manners were those SI people.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:12 PM

So are you saying that Kate probably wouldn’t fit in SI so well? I’m mean being how nice she is and all.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:20 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
At least once a week, when I had a line of people at my register as closing time was drawing near, someone from the back of the line would call out something along the lines of, "I'm from Staten Island. Can I go to the front of the line?".

My standard response was, "It's not up to me, it's up to the folks who are lined-up in front of you". None of the NJ folks ever reacted rudely to these self-entitled Staten Island creatures, even though they were probably tempted to do so. The only customers who consistently displayed boorish manners were those SI people.
When my son was in high school, he worked at a pharmacy and a supermarket part time. He discovered that he did not want to do that for a living. Working for Acme in the 1960s provided a living wage.

A couple of years ago, I met a really nice guy from SI on LBI. He was retiring and selling his business. He was there with his family and having a nice time. He bought a drink for me, so I bought a drink for his wife. She bought a drink for my son, so I bought a drink for her daughter...

Old 11-16-2017, 08:58 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Not shocking to me. Staten Island is part of New York City and that's inner city behavior of that person.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:52 PM

356 posts, read 284,261 times
i am born and raised in monmouth county, went to college in new york and lived in the city for many years. moved back home to monmouth with my family (my NY husband's idea) and i am one of the nicest ******* you will ever have the pleasure of meeting.

we're nice enough but such ignorance will not get you many votes in a popularity contest.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:05 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
What the f over. Capitalize and punctuate.. You got to go to college? Not everyone gets that gift...or baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey