Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 01:49 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the problem is old people. as time passes, companies will have more success requiring people to use technology that should help reduce head count.
Sorry, but as the young people become old, the new technology will pass them also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 02:00 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Sorry, but as the young people become old, the new technology will pass them also.

Not if you make a conscious effort to stay up to date.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
that is very possible. it doesnt change the fact that the issues with acceptance with a lot of new technology is related to old people.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:44 PM

10,461 posts, read 6,974,789 times
So what happens now if the employee makes $10 and manager makes $14? Will both get $15, or do they just fire one?

Old 01-18-2019, 02:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
So what happens now if the employee makes $10 and manager makes $14? Will both get $15, or do they just fire one?

I can tell you what's happening in my industry... they're redefining job roles. I work in retail banking. Tellers would typically make $12-13 an hour until late last year when the company implemented a company-wide $15 minimum wage. Now you have lower skilled employees (tellers) making close to the same amount of money personal bankers do. So what did the bank do? Instead of having 3 bankers and 4 tellers comprise a branch, they have 5 employees who are "Universal Bankers". They do both teller work and personal banker work, for slightly more than what a typically personal banker would make.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:03 PM

10,461 posts, read 6,974,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I can tell you what's happening in my industry... they're redefining job roles. I work in retail banking. Tellers would typically make $12-13 an hour until late last year when the company implemented a company-wide $15 minimum wage. Now you have lower skilled employees (tellers) making close to the same amount of money personal bankers do. So what did the bank do? Instead of having 3 bankers and 4 tellers comprise a branch, they have 5 employees who are "Universal Bankers". They do both teller work and personal banker work, for slightly more than what a typically personal banker would make.

So basically more experienced people get ripped off in the deal.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
that is gotta be happening in a lot of situations. every company's ability and need to make up for that hit is different but overall you cant expect that the tide has lifted all boats equally.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:34 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that is very possible. it doesnt change the fact that the issues with acceptance with a lot of new technology is related to old people.
If you're lucky you'll be old sometime also, and you'll find sometimes you'll be overwhelmed by the technology. A lot of it is being forced on people, my insurance company has roadside assistance. I called it the other day and didn't talk to one human being until the technician arrived. Go collect social security, done on line. I'm sure most services from the state are the same way. Unfortunately this has also taken away a lot of jobs, and the human element.

I grew up with black and white TV, dial telephones, pay phones, (try finding one of them that works), pre-microwave, column shifting, etc. Sometimes I find technology overwhelming, or just the elimination of the human element. I'll spend 3 minutes going thru menus on a phone call and if I'm lucky get to speak to a human. Often it only takes 1 minute for the human to answer me. I had a neighbor who worked in the vehicle maint. dept of the cable company. They eliminated the receptionist position (this was about 10yrs ago). When UPS or FedEx tried to make deliveries the door was closed, no one to receive them. They had to have all deliveries go to the garage. They saved a receptionist salary, vacation, etc.

There's a clip going round on you tube of 2 14yr olds trying to use a dial telephone. There was a time limit, finally near the end one of them got the idea they had to lift the receiver first. I went to a carwash in the mid 80's with a car I had with column shift. At the end the kid jumps in then jumped out and started pushing the car. I asked if he could drive stick, he replied, "not like this." Today if you have a standard transmission it's almost an anti-theft device.

As far as $15 an hour goes, there is still going to be a need for garbage collection, bldg. maintenance services, "burger flippers", etc. some of these jobs are the equivalent of the assembly line jobs of years ago. Yes, they are unskilled, so basically was the guy who hung the right front door on a Ford in 1972. Yes, jobs were monotonous, and a lot of us would go nuts doing them, but those who did them, used to make a good living doing them. They lived in many of the mid 50's cape cods (that are unrecognizable today). A lot of them put their kids through schools, (so they wouldn't have to work monotonous jobs like they did.) Now we wonder why all those jobs have left the country??

We can't "afford to pay $15 an hour" for many people, although minimum wage in Denmark is $20 an hour yet a Big Mac at McDonalds there is only 80cents more. Plus they get sick pay and vacations. (This is from a Forbes magazine article in 2014). So who's been making all the money. The US has one of the greatest disparities of wealth in the industrialized world. CEO's make multi millions, after the bailout in 2008, bankers still got bonuses. "To retain good people." WHAT??? these are the very people that cause the crash in the first place!!! Toys r Us, A&P, Hostess, all went out of business, managers walked away with "golden parachutes" while rank and file got screwed out of vacation, longevity pay, etc. that had been negotiated previously. Isn't America Great??

Last edited by Blue biker; 01-18-2019 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Those currently making 30-45k or $15-$22 hourly are going to be the ones that get the worst of this deal.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:32 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
We can't "afford to pay $15 an hour" for many people, although minimum wage in Denmark is $20 an hour yet a Big Mac at McDonalds there is only 80cents more. Plus they get sick pay and vacations. (This is from a Forbes magazine article in 2014). So who's been making all the money. The US has one of the greatest disparities of wealth in the industrialized world. CEO's make multi millions, after the bailout in 2008, bankers still got bonuses. "To retain good people." WHAT??? these are the very people that cause the crash in the first place!!! Toys r Us, A&P, Hostess, all went out of business, managers walked away with "golden parachutes" while rank and file got screwed out of vacation, longevity pay, etc. that had been negotiated previously. Isn't America Great??
We have double the amount of illegal immigrants living in the USA then there are citizens in Denmark.

I am not a against a higher minimum wage along the lines of $11, but $15 while we are actively allowing a ton of low skilled workers to enter the country illegally does not make sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey