Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 8,547 times

Advertisements

Hi!!!

My family will be relocating from FL to NJ sometime in the spring 2018. Can anyone tell me if the commute to Bloomfield from Clinton/Flemington area is doable? At worse case scenario, I've seen travel times up to 1 hour 30 min, which is definitely heavy... :/
I really like the area we are looking in, especially along Rt 31, between Clinton and Flemington. Can anyone weigh in their thoughts on that area? I will have an incoming 7th grader (son) and an incoming 5th grader (daughter). Does either area have a better school district? Also looking for soccer leagues and gymnastics classes.

Many many thanks for your input. So appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 12:11 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Basically as you go east and or north east in NJ it gets more densely crowded. An hour and a half yes I would think during rush hour def. Payback is you come home to more space.

I think theres a way on Goo maps to enter a time for your trip and they project what the traffic delays normally are.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:35 PM

23,552 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relo2NJ View Post
Hi!!!

My family will be relocating from FL to NJ sometime in the spring 2018. Can anyone tell me if the commute to Bloomfield from Clinton/Flemington area is doable? At worse case scenario, I've seen travel times up to 1 hour 30 min, which is definitely heavy... :/
I really like the area we are looking in, especially along Rt 31, between Clinton and Flemington. Can anyone weigh in their thoughts on that area? I will have an incoming 7th grader (son) and an incoming 5th grader (daughter). Does either area have a better school district? Also looking for soccer leagues and gymnastics classes.

Many many thanks for your input. So appreciate it!!
Clinton is way north of flemington... two totally different routes

You don't want to be driving north on 31 at the end of the day

Clinton. if near the town of Clinton, by old route 22, you can jump right on 78.

From flemington rt 202 to 287, 78 to bloomfield.... typical commute, inconsistent due to accidents and weather. Nice run when the traffic is moving.

Time of day has a huge impact on traffic. 7 am or bfore on 202 no problem, after that it can be a slog on 202 for about 5 miles from three bridges to 287 then 78

Lot of drugs in the hunterdon county suburban area. Flemington has good schools, more than likely Clinton does to. Both have soccer, gymnastics, etc. Flemmington would be a better bet. Think both share high schools north, central, south schools.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:54 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Clinton is way north of flemington... two totally different routes

You don't want to be driving north on 31 at the end of the day

Clinton. if near the town of Clinton, by old route 22, you can jump right on 78.

From flemington rt 202 to 287, 78 to bloomfield.... typical commute, inconsistent due to accidents and weather. Nice run when the traffic is moving.

Time of day has a huge impact on traffic. 7 am or bfore on 202 no problem, after that it can be a slog on 202 for about 5 miles from three bridges to 287 then 78

Lot of drugs in the hunterdon county suburban area. Flemington has good schools, more than likely Clinton does to. Both have soccer, gymnastics, etc. Flemmington would be a better bet. Think both share high schools north, central, south schools.
Tell me about it! My only (somewhat) saving grace is that I get to 31 by 4:00 going home to Warren Co. It's actually worse going south on 31 from Warren Co. in the mornings.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM

THANK YOU all so much!! My husband will probably be up and out by 6am, so hopefully 202 will be moving, if we find a house in Flemington that is. Seems like a little bit more for your $ in Clinton? If you had to choose one area over the other, do you think Flemington would be the better bet? I really appreciate the feedback about rt 31!.
(side note...asking for my daughter...where would be the closest mall? Bridgewater?)

Old 11-17-2017, 03:08 PM

23,552 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Check out branchburg, nice areas all the ammentieis you'd want.. No town but plenty of sports for kids and gymnastics....Branchburg Sports Complex |

Nice schools, rural to condo land available. Can jump on 78 from rattlesnake rd bridge if you move to that area of branchburg...north branch section vs neshanic section. Community college, kids go to somerville high or immaculata, otherwise BB grade schools are in the midst of the community and great schools.

Flemington went from farmland to condo land, though plenty of rural areas. Lot of Sunday traffic in Flemington from away. Walkable town.

Rt 202 after rt 31 exit makes you think you are back in the 50s with no traffic to PA.

Neshanic section is about 15 minutes away from main st Flemington. 12 to 15 minutes from neshanic section to rt 287, 5 minutes up 287 to 78 east.

North branch section is a hop directly on 78.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:33 PM

Thank you Kracer!! Really really appreciate your thoughts. It is so overwhelming trying to figure out the "best" place to live. My concern with Branchburg is that Somerville high school is not rated very favorably. Flemington and Clinton high schools seem to be rated higher? Branchburg does seem like the ideal location tho. :/

Old 11-19-2017, 05:30 PM

311 posts, read 478,067 times
Did this commute for 4 years. Be on 78 by 6 AM, and you can be in Bloomfield before 7 (I worked near exit 151 on the Parkway). The commute home will wear on you though... leaving early ( < 4 ) will keep you clear of most traffic on the parkway (from 151 down to 142), and then 78 moves fine up until the 287 junction. At that point, it doesn't matter much if you live in Flemington or Clinton; you either suffer though getting off 287 onto 202, and then fight traffic down 202, or sit in traffic on 78 west out to exit 17 / 15. I would definitely count on over an hour in the afternoons. Might be doable if your husbands job is flexible with hours, has the ability to work from home occasionally, etc.

As far as having kids, the area is very good; schools are great, lots of open land. The Raritan / Flemington area has slightly better options with shopping / restaurants. Keep in mind though that depending on where you are moving from, you may be disappointed in the options for nightlife or lack of amenities that you would get from urban living...

Good luck in your decision...

Old 11-21-2017, 01:27 PM

Thank you Boo_Urns!!!! Super helpful information. I'm guessing there could be some back roads he could learn eventually? Could the traffic in the afternoon/evening be currently due to construction? As in, maybe down the road it will be an easier ride? Or is it just plain congestion of everyone going home at the same time?

I have heard that there is not a movie theater in town! LOL! Thats ok... we hardly get to the movies now anyway. With two kids, nightlife usually ends around 9pm.

How about Randolph? Is that an area to consider that offers some land, and maybe more amenities? I like the county feel that Flemington offers...but Randolph is closer to Bloomfield. I'd love to be even closer, but the housing market is crazy expensive the closer you get to NYC.

THANKS AGAIN!!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:54 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
Do you hate your husband?

The commute from Clinton/Flemington to Bloomfield sucks. Randolph would be better. Maybe if you posted some parameters for housing cost and type, you could be directed to a closer town that you have not considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey