Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 21,946 times

Advertisements

I would be so grateful for any advice...

My boyfriend will be going to grad school at Princeton and working in Long Valley part-time. I work in Manhattan and want to continue to take a bus or train - not drive. We need to find somewhere to live that will make this all possible!

So far we're thinking that Somerville is the North/South midpoint bt. Long Valley and Princeton - so we will start out looking at towns along the Raritan train line, going east toward the city.

I work at 2 nonprofit orgs, so am not making the kind of salary that makes a $300+ train ticket easily affordable. Plus he will be working p/t while he's in school, so we are on the poorer side

One thing I thought of - should I try to work in Philly instead?
I really just want to work in whichever city is going to end of having a commute that is more affordable and less time.

Oh, and we will probably rent a dog-friendly apartment to start, maybe eventually buy a condo/townhouse/small house. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM

531 posts, read 2,149,447 times
Look into something around Metropark. A monthly train pass to NY Penn will be around 230/month. Your BF can train into Princeton U if he wants, or he can drive. Metropark train station is on a line that goes to both NY and Princeton. The drive to Long Valley will be a little long (about 40 miles) but you haven't said he doesn't like driving so I'll assume that's ok.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the idea, I hadn't looked in that area at all yet.

Although I don't think my boyfriend could ever take the train, as he'll have to go to Long Valley every day, and then 2-3 days a week also go to Princeton for class.

He doesn't mind driving (he has been doing an hour each way from East Rutherford for almost 4 years!) but since he'll have 2 locations, we *might* do better in a town along the Raritan line, just to keep his drives a little shorter. But I'll definitely look into Metropark, thanks!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Bear in mind the Raritan Valley Line has fewer trains (less frequent and less off-peak coverage) than the Northeast Corridor line does. I highly recommend the NEC if you plan to commute into the City for work. The NEC line goes from NYC to Trenton. Since you're looking for a reasonable train fare and he doesn't mind driving, I recommend Metropark or surrounding communities (Metuchen, Edison).

Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM

Oh I see...I didn't realize it would be more frequent on NEC, that is great to know. That is the one train schedule that I didn't pick up yet!

I see online that the timetable shows times from Philly also - so maybe this would be a good location if I am considering working in Philly at some point in the future. I'll have to look into what the Metropark to Philly commute would be like, but at least it seems like I could keep a lot of options open in this location.

Thanks so much!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Metropark to Philly would be painfully long. JMHO. Check out the schedules and see for yourself though.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 AM

yup, i will check out the schedules now - thanks again.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 AM

Does anyone else have an idea where we might live between Long Valley and Princeton, if I were going to consider working in Philadelphia instead of Manhattan?

Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey