Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:51 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times

Advertisements

Easier commute as in less transfers, shorter the commute, closer to city = more money. That doesn't change whether you live in NY, CT, or NJ.

Personally I think you'd better off raising your budget and live somewhere with better commute because ferry is expensive and limited in service. Plus many areas ferry has direct link to...you need a car to live in that area anyway. For example, Edgewater, Port Imperial. Technically you can live in both towns without a car but it'll be biatching.

Remember that monthly ferry is $220-250/m depending on where. i.e. Edgewater's rate is higher than Port Imperial.

With you might as well increase your budget to 2k/m and find a small 1bed to live in Hoboken or Jersey City (JSQ) and walk to Path. Path monthly is 80/m and Path is 24/7 where as ferry is limited.

Or if you want to live in a nicer place, spend 2k, get a roommate and live in nicer places in Hoboken or downtown JC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:21 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Easier commute as in less transfers, shorter the commute, closer to city = more money. That doesn't change whether you live in NY, CT, or NJ.

Personally I think you'd better off raising your budget and live somewhere with better commute because ferry is expensive and limited in service. Plus many areas ferry has direct link to...you need a car to live in that area anyway. For example, Edgewater, Port Imperial. Technically you can live in both towns without a car but it'll be biatching.

Remember that monthly ferry is $220-250/m depending on where. i.e. Edgewater's rate is higher than Port Imperial.

With you might as well increase your budget to 2k/m and find a small 1bed to live in Hoboken or Jersey City (JSQ) and walk to Path. Path monthly is 80/m and Path is 24/7 where as ferry is limited.

Or if you want to live in a nicer place, spend 2k, get a roommate and live in nicer places in Hoboken or downtown JC.
I would have a federal job, so wouldn't they subsidize ferry/path costs?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:53 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Subsidize, maybe, but not pay for in full. I haven't worked for the Feds in a long time, so it may be different now. Many employers will offer reimbursement for transit costs up to a certain amount. My employer covers the first $60 per month. So I can buy a PATH monthly pass for $89, and my employer pays $60, leaving me to pay the remaining $29. If I took the ferry for $282, my employer would cover the first $60, and I'd pay the remaining $222.

Some employers let you take a certain amount out of your pay pre-tax to cover commuting costs. You're paying for your transit pass, but with pre-tax dollars, reducing your taxable income.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
NYC law states for-profit employers with 20 or more employees must provide commuter benefits, typically this is money put aside pre-tax that can be used to reduce the cost of commuting. No idea if you would be eligible for this as a Federal employee.

My question becomes why NJ in the first place? $1,800 is a studio or 1-bedroom the upper reaches of Manhattan and if you are willing to settle for roommates then most of midtown is easily open to you. Most posters looking to move from NYC->NJ are doing so for good schools and a suburban setting to raise a family.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
NYC law states for-profit employers with 20 or more employees must provide commuter benefits, typically this is money put aside pre-tax that can be used to reduce the cost of commuting. No idea if you would be eligible for this as a Federal employee.

My question becomes why NJ in the first place? $1,800 is a studio or 1-bedroom the upper reaches of Manhattan and if you are willing to settle for roommates then most of midtown is easily open to you. Most posters looking to move from NYC->NJ are doing so for good schools and a suburban setting to raise a family.
I don't want a roomate, looking for a 1 bed that isn't 'clastrophobic' or dumpy.
Considering bothing NYC and NJ.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 AM

40 posts, read 53,420 times
look on craigslist, zillow, streeteasy , and filter based on desired distance to piers that have ferry service.
With your budget you might find a decent 1bedroom, but you're going to have to spend time searching all those sites for either for-owner listings or complexing giving away incentives. Given winter is coming up, you might get deals, but also be aware that you're going to have to negotiate a way to keep those deals in year 2 and beyond.

There are no easy answers for you given all your criteria.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons1 View Post
look on craigslist, zillow, streeteasy , and filter based on desired distance to piers that have ferry service.
With your budget you might find a decent 1bedroom, but you're going to have to spend time searching all those sites for either for-owner listings or complexing giving away incentives. Given winter is coming up, you might get deals, but also be aware that you're going to have to negotiate a way to keep those deals in year 2 and beyond.

There are no easy answers for you given all your criteria.
I've been using apartments.com and streeteasy-althought streeteasy is just NYC.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM

252 posts, read 456,403 times
Check out neighborhood between Boulevard East and Park Ave in Weehawken. One bedrooms exist in your price range in both multifamily houses, small rental apartment buildings, and coop buildings. These buildings are pre-war, so not always a modern feel. A staircase and pedestrian bridge connect the neighborhood to the Port Imperial ferry terminal.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:24 PM

181 posts, read 378,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Only suggestion I have is to increase your budget to at least $2500. Otherwise suck it up and take the train to work.
I have to cosign this. You need to up your budget. You're not going to get what you want at that price in the area you want, in the type of modern apartment you want. For what you want, you may have to consider Essex and Union county along one of the rail lines.

Or, find a co-op somewhere in the city that fits your budget.

Especially since you don't want a roommate. Which I can totally understand. It's why I chose my $925 apartment in Elizabeth.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:11 PM

If I am looking to take the ferry to pier 11, and if I can't find a nice place within walking distance, how hard and expensive would it be to drive and park?
The last thing I want is to have to take a bus/train then switch to the ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey