Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

I ask the question what is next, they say the they also want to remove all cell phone talking so hands free will be next. Is this America? What is next radios, ipods, talking in the car, movies for kids in the mini van. Personal individual freedoms under attack. I think this is not about safety just more money for the state and revenue. I hate this state and I am becoming very angry. All the data from car accidents in 2005, 2006 show cell phones were not the causes of all the accidents in this country. I would question why we are only focusing on the cell phone. We have more young kids driving then before and I'm sure being that they are inexperinced might bring some numbers up. Of course all these kids of cell phones. But I still believe the issues is with the drivers and are bad anyway. While I may be a good driver and my cell phone does not interfere with my driving I must suffer. We need real data on cell phones and accidents no false ideas of the problems. I believe insurance companies will use this as a way to increase your rates, us the cell phone records to see if your were on the phone even if it's not your fault and someone hits you. All I'm saying is personal responsiblity and with driving a car as come to the point where I question where we will call for a stop to this. How about the people who eat in the car and drive, the coffee holder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I ask the question what is next, they say the they also want to remove all cell phone talking so hands free will be next. Is this America? What is next radios, ipods, talking in the car, movies for kids in the mini van. Personal individual freedoms under attack. I think this is not about safety just more money for the state and revenue. I hate this state and I am becoming very angry. All the data from car accidents in 2005, 2006 show cell phones were not the causes of all the accidents in this country. I would question why we are only focusing on the cell phone. We have more young kids driving then before and I'm sure being that they are inexperinced might bring some numbers up. Of course all these kids of cell phones. But I still believe the issues is with the drivers and are bad anyway. While I may be a good driver and my cell phone does not interfere with my driving I must suffer. We need real data on cell phones and accidents no false ideas of the problems. I believe insurance companies will use this as a way to increase your rates, us the cell phone records to see if your were on the phone even if it's not your fault and someone hits you. All I'm saying is personal responsiblity and with driving a car as come to the point where I question where we will call for a stop to this. How about the people who eat in the car and drive, the coffee holder.
100% of your attention should be paid to the road.
You are driving a 2-3 ton vehicle at 65mph, and everyone of us have a family member that is out there on the road while you are driving...that's why.
As for your comment that I outlined...
No one ever said cell phones caused "all" accidents...just too many of them.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:07 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
I agree with fisch(again) on this one. You may and maybe not think that your driving is not affected but I don't want the millions of idiots that that drive HORRIBLY because they YAP all day on the cell phone. And yes from a police standpoint they ARE a major cause of accidents. As far as the money making standpoint the state loses money on this as they have to pay all the cops either overtime to enforce it or they lose the time from the officer while he writes a ticket for a 100 bucks. I say make the fine a thousand and maybe the dummies will put down the phone.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:09 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
100% of your attention should be paid to the road.
You are driving a 2-3 ton vehicle at 65mph, and everyone of us have a family member that is out there on the road while you are driving...that's why.
As for your comment that I outlined...
No one ever said cell phones caused "all" accidents...just too many of them.
Agree with that completely. It's a car , not a phone booth, moving office or cafeteria.

E

Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,220 times
OP-
there are mounds of data that prove that using a cell phone while driving severely limits your ability to operate a motor vehicle.

I've read some of your other posts - seems like you have trouble discerning 'freedom' from 'anarchy'...

Old 03-19-2008, 01:36 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,363,542 times
I'm going to have to agree with the other posters.

You can't focus on the road as well as you should if you're talking away. IMO, it's the same as the woman/man who has their 1lb hamburger in one hand, and a cigarette in the other, basically driving with their knees or elbows...or the woman putting on her makeup, or the person reading the paper. Driving should be simply that: driving. Get from point A to point B, and then do you're thing once the engine's turned off.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM

786 posts, read 2,664,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I ask the question what is next, they say the they also want to remove all cell phone talking so hands free will be next. Is this America? What is next radios, ipods, talking in the car, movies for kids in the mini van. Personal individual freedoms under attack.
Give it a break....idiots using cellphones have been maiming and killing other people because of their stupidity. You're driving, learn to concentrate on that or park on the roadside and make your call if it's an emergency.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM

941 posts, read 2,302,924 times
Here's some pics of a guy using the phone while driving, city data might ban the others if i post them. Cell Phone Handheld Ban-pic2.bmp Cell Phone Handheld Ban-pic1.bmp Cell Phone Handheld Ban-untitled.bmp

Old 03-19-2008, 02:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
maybe i'm just more cognizant of it, but am I the only one who sees MORE people holding cells now than before the ban was in place?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
maybe i'm just more cognizant of it, but am I the only one who sees MORE people holding cells now than before the ban was in place?
Yes you do it's people defying authority. Just like when I used to tell the kids be home at 11PM and they would roll in at 11:40-12:00. It's peoples way to strike back at the evil GOVT. It looks like Liberty and Justice is 0-10 on this one. Oh wait the libertarians didn't chime in yet, they must be driving home from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey