U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-28-2017, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Queens
14 posts, read 13,906 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Thru much research on this board I discovered the existence of Red Bank, which might prove to be a place this greenery-craving girl and her city-lovin' dude could agree to compromise on. But 'red hot Red Bank' is already getting almost beyond where we can afford a starter home, sigh.

My question to the group here: I know there are recycling facilities and other such infrastructure areas there that make houses located near them less desirable, but one agent who has showed me some places has warned against the (cheaper) area south of the town center, like around/past Drs James Parker Blvd., saying darkly, "There have been shootings down there."

Seriously? It looks so - wholesome. Sure, the town's west side houses are more closely packed with smaller yards and less in the way of leafy streets than the older, stately homes on the east side, but is there any part of town that's flat out dangerous? Trulia's crime maps has the town fully green, and the news sources I read on Red Bank seem to indicate most crimes are of a property theft kind of nature.

Anyone have some insight they can share? The conservative option, renting for a year to get a first-hand impression, would, I fear, result in us finding ourselves priced out of purchasing by then.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2017, 02:25 PM
 
3,304 posts, read 2,870,160 times
Reputation: 2569
City Data actually has a whole section on crime rates:
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Jersey.html

You can also read the police blotter:
https://www.redbankgreen.com/category/crime/

Spoiler alert: A lot of dumb shoplifting and criminal mischief.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 03:08 PM
 
9,217 posts, read 13,166,078 times
Reputation: 10742
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkajouwho View Post
Hi everyone! Thru much research on this board I discovered the existence of Red Bank, which might prove to be a place this greenery-craving girl and her city-lovin' dude could agree to compromise on. But 'red hot Red Bank' is already getting almost beyond where we can afford a starter home, sigh.

My question to the group here: I know there are recycling facilities and other such infrastructure areas there that make houses located near them less desirable, but one agent who has showed me some places has warned against the (cheaper) area south of the town center, like around/past Drs James Parker Blvd., saying darkly, "There have been shootings down there."

Seriously? It looks so - wholesome. Sure, the town's west side houses are more closely packed with smaller yards and less in the way of leafy streets than the older, stately homes on the east side, but is there any part of town that's flat out dangerous? Trulia's crime maps has the town fully green, and the news sources I read on Red Bank seem to indicate most crimes are of a property theft kind of nature.

Anyone have some insight they can share? The conservative option, renting for a year to get a first-hand impression, would, I fear, result in us finding ourselves priced out of purchasing by then.

If you're from Astoria, there's much greater chance of getting shot there.

There's a Latino population in Red Bank and 'whomever' might be referring to youth gang activity, but that element is exponentially greater in Astoria/Jackson Heights/Corona area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
29,118 posts, read 28,147,382 times
Reputation: 36744
May he was referring to this:

Long Branch man faces trial for attempted murder in Red Bank shooting
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Queens
14 posts, read 13,906 times
Reputation: 22
Thanks guys!! Yes Gerania, I figured when she said 'shootings' she meant that one dude (I did see that in my news reading) but it just seemed weird to warn me off a whole neighborhood based on some kind of relationship-based grudge thing.

On the other hand.... when I bought in FL ages ago, the only house I could afford was one in what's referred to as 'Crime Hills' and yeah --- it was/is truly rough. At the time, I dismissed a lot of the warnings I received from others as a bit of veiled racism, and it turned out, I really should have taken them more seriously. During a visit, my upstate-NY-living parents asked about a popping noise we could all hear from the dinner table, "Are those firecrackers?" It was June, so I said 'Oh sure! They start early here.' (Disclosure: they were not firecrackers.)

jobaba: Astoria is definitely getting all kinds of random scary crime incidents happening; so sad. Little old men being mugged in broad daylight on the main dang street, sheez! [smh]

Jaymoney: great resources; have bookmarked! I've been reading Red Bank Green (hence my knowledge of a bunch of property theft, and wondering why all these people seem to leave $15/20k in jewelry just laying around their houses!) but never even thought to look at CityData's own stats.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 11:27 AM
 
4,000 posts, read 1,984,271 times
Reputation: 2301
OP -what's your budget/expectations? There's a sticky at top of page, if you answer that you'll get some good answers. Depending on your needs/wants there's definitely some options in the area besides Red Bank.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
67,485 posts, read 62,994,000 times
Reputation: 82647
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkajouwho View Post
Hi everyone! Thru much research on this board I discovered the existence of Red Bank, which might prove to be a place this greenery-craving girl and her city-lovin' dude could agree to compromise on. But 'red hot Red Bank' is already getting almost beyond where we can afford a starter home, sigh.

My question to the group here: I know there are recycling facilities and other such infrastructure areas there that make houses located near them less desirable, but one agent who has showed me some places has warned against the (cheaper) area south of the town center, like around/past Drs James Parker Blvd., saying darkly, "There have been shootings down there."

Seriously? It looks so - wholesome. Sure, the town's west side houses are more closely packed with smaller yards and less in the way of leafy streets than the older, stately homes on the east side, but is there any part of town that's flat out dangerous? Trulia's crime maps has the town fully green, and the news sources I read on Red Bank seem to indicate most crimes are of a property theft kind of nature.

Anyone have some insight they can share? The conservative option, renting for a year to get a first-hand impression, would, I fear, result in us finding ourselves priced out of purchasing by then.
I am a 50-something white woman who lives in Shrewsbury Township (about two miles up the road) and I have no problem either driving through or stopping in that neighborhood, even at night. I am friends with women who attend a predominantly black church off Bridge Avenue and go there several times a year for various activities, and that church also now has a Spanish-speaking service because the neighborhood is changing, but that doesn't mean major crime.

I had not heard of shootings, though I suppose I could have just not heard of them.

I would live in that area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM
 
93 posts, read 82,077 times
Reputation: 149
Red Bank I believe was run down in spots in the 80's until the mid to late 90's?


I remember a few small run down neighborhoods even as late as 2001.


In '97 a local crackhead tried to take me down with a metal pipe near the Bates Lodge but I was able to dodge and counter and safely get away.


Red Bank that I have seen today is far safer than what I remember before.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
67,485 posts, read 62,994,000 times
Reputation: 82647
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
Red Bank I believe was run down in spots in the 80's until the mid to late 90's?


I remember a few small run down neighborhoods even as late as 2001.


In '97 a local crackhead tried to take me down with a metal pipe near the Bates Lodge but I was able to dodge and counter and safely get away.


Red Bank that I have seen today is far safer than what I remember before.
Yes, I didn't live down there then, but someone I knew who frequented the area said they called it Dead Bank before it was brought back to life.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
29,118 posts, read 28,147,382 times
Reputation: 36744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkajouwho View Post
Thanks guys!! Yes Gerania, I figured when she said 'shootings' she meant that one dude (I did see that in my news reading) but it just seemed weird to warn me off a whole neighborhood based on some kind of relationship-based grudge thing.

On the other hand.... when I bought in FL ages ago, the only house I could afford was one in what's referred to as 'Crime Hills' and yeah --- it was/is truly rough. At the time, I dismissed a lot of the warnings I received from others as a bit of veiled racism, and it turned out, I really should have taken them more seriously. During a visit, my upstate-NY-living parents asked about a popping noise we could all hear from the dinner table, "Are those firecrackers?" It was June, so I said 'Oh sure! They start early here.' (Disclosure: they were not firecrackers.)

jobaba: Astoria is definitely getting all kinds of random scary crime incidents happening; so sad. Little old men being mugged in broad daylight on the main dang street, sheez! [smh]

Jaymoney: great resources; have bookmarked! I've been reading Red Bank Green (hence my knowledge of a bunch of property theft, and wondering why all these people seem to leave $15/20k in jewelry just laying around their houses!) but never even thought to look at CityData's own stats.
I couldn't find anything else, and I looked for quite a while.

When I lived in a nice, upper middle class neighborhood, two people were killed there. Neither assailant was from the neighborhood.

All sorts of people have a car and a license.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top