Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:51 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Is your home your only asset? How much did your 401(k) increase since the election?

Primary residence's are nothing but a money pit.

Do you really think a $1m home is going to drop in price $100k because a reduction of $3-5k/year in a tax bill? There will be buyers that come into that market that aren't effected by SALT deductions. My wife an I earn a sold income but, don't have deductions more than $24k with the new standard deduction. We will also pick up a $2k child tax credit that was previously $1k, that a credit not deduction. We will be looking for a new 1 family home with taxes in excess of $15k. There will be buyers that stabilize the market.

Nobody's 401K did anything, until the assets within it are sold. Interim price fluctuations ARE NOT GAINS. That is Finance 101.

You didn't mention that you'd be losing all your personal exemptions. So if you have 1 kid, wouldn't that be $12,150? If someone had 4 kids, wouldn't that be the loss of a $24,300 deduction?

What good is the increase in the standard deduction for a family of 5 with the corresponding elimination of personal exemptions?

Stop arguing about this, it's basic math. When the federal government makes it less advantageous to own a home, it reduces demand for homes. Less demand equals lower prices.

So they are literally mauling the NJ homeowner with higher taxes and destruction of equity.

And that's before the punishment to be exacted by the new liberal "sanctuary state" governor y'all just put in. No, I don't feel sorry for the people of this state. They are absolute masochists and they appear to be getting, through acquiescence, exactly what they want, and thus deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 11:58 AM

By the way, one result of last night's negotiations seems to be that the Senate Bill now restores the $10,000 deductibility provision of mortgage interest. The House already had this in place. So at least it appears that the conference committee probably won't be screwing around with that.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:03 PM

625 posts, read 797,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nobody's 401K did anything, until the assets within it are sold. Interim price fluctuations ARE NOT GAINS. That is Finance 101.

You didn't mention that you'd be losing all your personal exemptions. So if you have 1 kid, wouldn't that be $12,150? If someone had 4 kids, wouldn't that be the loss of a $24,300 deduction?

What good is the increase in the standard deduction for a family of 5 with the corresponding elimination of personal exemptions?

Stop arguing about this, it's basic math. When the federal government makes it less advantageous to own a home, it reduces demand for homes. Less demand equals lower prices.

So they are literally mauling the NJ homeowner with higher taxes and destruction of equity.

And that's before the punishment to be exacted by the new liberal "sanctuary state" governor y'all just put in. No, I don't feel sorry for the people of this state. They are absolute masochists and they appear to be getting, through acquiescence, exactly what they want, and thus deserve.
With that logic, if your home decreases by 10% and it's not realized how are you effected? Lower prices will bring in more buyers. You want to argue that you'll have less HELOC borrowing power? OK - I can argue that many 401(k), now can borrow up to $50k because of appreciated values to go into real estate towards their home purchase.

Stop with the scare tactics Mr. Real Estate Agent.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
By the way, one result of last night's negotiations seems to be that the Senate Bill now restores the $10,000 deductibility provision of mortgage interest. The House already had this in place. So at least it appears that the conference committee probably won't be screwing around with that.
$10,000 deductibility doesn't help if personal exemptions and SALT are removed. I don't see how NJ "middle class" families will be able to hit the 24K standard deduction hurdle, so the $10K deductibility is not going to be able to be used by such families.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,708 times
Quote:
Standard deduction is doubling for married couples
Child tax credit is doubling to $2k
Tax brackets are being reduced to 3-4, we will all likely pay less

Corporate tax rate being slashed to 20% + deregulation that is occurring will push GDP up to 3-4% which will push job creations throughout the country. We are already seeing this in middle America. More jobs = more tax dollars over time. Our economy was not doing well from 2013-2016, we were potentially close to a recession and Trump came in and threw gasoline on the American economy.

The ridiculous hate on this bill is just the anti-Trump crowd not wanting to see him succeed.
We're losing the personal exemption and the standard deduction isn't indexed to inflation. Every calculation I've done on this tax plan says I'm paying more. Good chance my neighbors are all paying more. To answer what you said previously, I sure as hell factored the tax code into the affordability of my house - why wouldn't you? Willingness to spend on housing will decline and it leaves the current owners holding that bag.

Also we were not close to a recession from 2013-2016 - GDP growth was 3.3%, 4.4%, 4.0%, and 2.8%.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
We're losing the personal exemption and the standard deduction isn't indexed to inflation. Every calculation I've done on this tax plan says I'm paying more. Good chance my neighbors are all paying more. To answer what you said previously, I sure as hell factored the tax code into the affordability of my house - why wouldn't you? Willingness to spend on housing will decline and it leaves the current owners holding that bag.

Also we were not close to a recession from 2013-2016 - GDP growth was 3.3%, 4.4%, 4.0%, and 2.8%.
GDP did not break 3.0% under OBAMA. Where are you getting those numbers? 4.4%???? Never

Heck that will be hard for even a Trump economy.

2008: -0.3%
2009: -2.8%
2010: 2.5%
2011: 1.6%
2012: 2.2%
2013: 1.7%
2014: 2.6%
2015: 2.9%
2016: 1.5%

2016 the US economy was showing signs of early recession. The market was barely up through November.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,708 times
https://bea.gov/national/index.htm#gdp

That is nominal GDP. Real was 1.7%, 2.6%, 2.9%, and 1.5% over the same period. Nothing that even remotely qualifies as a recession.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Does anyone know if they are touching the real estate deduction of up to $25k in loses?

Old 12-01-2017, 12:25 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Standard deduction is doubling for married couples
Child tax credit is doubling to $2k
Tax brackets are being reduced to 3-4, we will all likely pay less

Corporate tax rate being slashed to 20% + deregulation that is occurring will push GDP up to 3-4% which will push job creations throughout the country. We are already seeing this in middle America. More jobs = more tax dollars over time. Our economy was not doing well from 2013-2016, we were potentially close to a recession and Trump came in and threw gasoline on the American economy.

The ridiculous hate on this bill is just the anti-Trump crowd not wanting to see him succeed.
I want him to succeed, what are you kidding me?? unfortunately we are all on this sinking ship together. I wanted Obama to succeed also.

First, I don't have kids. so no help for me there.
The doubling of the standard deduction for most NJerysians will come out as a wash after losing the SALT deduction and the property tax reduction. most folks pay a lot more than 10K in property taxes and again I'm a senior so not being able to deduct medical expenses will hurt. just had my knee replaced last December and even with great health insurance the oop was alot.

So untrue about the recession. a recession is a decline in the GDP

2016 the GDP grew by 3.1%
2015 the GDP grew by 3.1%
2014 the GDP grew by more than 4%

So I don't know how you figure the economy was not doing well?? really don't. Now I'm not going to get into Obama vs Trump because you can't compare the two simply because Trump inherited a healthy economy, Mr Obama did not. so you can't compare and secondly, job growth has been pretty routine and wages are still flat but that's another issue.

This is a bill that almost every expert (economic not political) has said will benefit the top 10% most. Unfortunately I am not one of them and plugging in my taxes from last year, I will definitely be paying more

lol once again the great thing about not having cable, it frees up a lot of time for me to play with turbo tax.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
With that logic, if your home decreases by 10% and it's not realized how are you effected? Lower prices will bring in more buyers. You want to argue that you'll have less HELOC borrowing power? OK - I can argue that many 401(k), now can borrow up to $50k because of appreciated values to go into real estate towards their home purchase.

Stop with the scare tactics Mr. Real Estate Agent.

You didn't address the LOSS OF PERSONAL EXEMPTIONS. You neglected its inclusion, on purpose, in your earlier posts. And you didn't address it now.

And: I am "effected", that is to say, "affected", in counseling and helping home sellers who will be REALIZING THE EFFECTS OF THIS RAPE in the Spring market when they sell under the revised rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey