Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I work a block from that street and it's not pretty. ALl you see in the afternoon around lunchtime is ghetto trash hanging around the street drinking and being loud. My coworker lives on that block and she doesn't usually leave the house after dark.
To which street are you referring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 04:54 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
To which street are you referring?
work on Kennedy, close to Fairmount

Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,409 times
Default u

well people on fairmount are not getto trash that is real low to say that we are all people and we need 2 treat each other like we are and fairmount is not bad and i live on fairmount to so i should know how is fairmount is so if u think people that low of people on fairmount you need to spend time on fairmount and then u can judge for your self so dont be a hypocrite thank you for your time

Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmount View Post
well people on fairmount are not getto trash that is real low to say that we are all people and we need 2 treat each other like we are and fairmount is not bad and i live on fairmount to so i should know how is fairmount is so if u think people that low of people on fairmount you need to spend time on fairmount and then u can judge for your self so dont be a hypocrite thank you for your time
No Fairmount is not that bad, that's why there have been two shootings there in recent years and the policeman that was killed a couple months ago not too far from Fairmount. I walk on Fairmount day and night because it's near my job and no I would never buy a condo there.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
No Fairmount is not that bad, that's why there have been two shootings there in recent years and the policeman that was killed a couple months ago not too far from Fairmount. I walk on Fairmount day and night because it's near my job and no I would never buy a condo there.
Just FYI: the policeman who was killed several months ago -- Marc DiNardo -- was killed on a block east of Bergen Avenue in a completely different neighborhood. There have not been shootings on Fairmount or in that vicinity of Kennedy Boulevard in many years.

There can be occasional violence on any street in any urban area -- that does not constitute a bad neighborhood. If you don't want to live there, that's your decision. But what you have stated about shootings in that area is just not true.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Just FYI: the policeman who was killed several months ago -- Marc DiNardo -- was killed on a block east of Bergen Avenue in a completely different neighborhood. There have not been shootings on Fairmount or in that vicinity of Kennedy Boulevard in many years.
It was basically on the corner of Bergen, about 1 block south of fairmount. Someone in my building was mugged on Fairmount. I agree that JFK itself isn't too bad, but Bergen is rough as is fairmount between bergen and jfk.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,388 times
hi i am a male single looking for an apartment(affordable rent). in jersey city near my job can you recommend a nice area that is nice and quiet.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
It was basically on the corner of Bergen, about 1 block south of fairmount. Someone in my building was mugged on Fairmount. I agree that JFK itself isn't too bad, but Bergen is rough as is fairmount between bergen and jfk.
It's two blocks south of Fairmount -- Fairmount, then Duncan, then the block where the shoot-out took place. It was not on the corner of Bergen -- the corner of Bergen has a store front. The shoot location was in a building about half-way down the block continuing East from Bergen.

Between Bergen and Kennedy, Fairmount is three blocks long, measured on the north side (the south side is just one long block). The entire length is not equally dangerous. The closer to Bergen, the rougher the crowd, particularly in warmer weather when the area attracts lots of homeless with substance abuse problems. The closer to the Boulevard, the calmer Fairmount becomes.

As far as muggings -- they occur in every area of big and small cities today, at all times of the day or night. Anecdotal examples may be interesting, but they are not a reason to generalize about a neighborhood in so caustic a way as was done previously in this thread (which was so critical of the area at Fairmount and Kennedy).

Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,204 times
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well Fairmount and Kenn.Blvd. is one block from St.Peters College and I would say about 10-15 minute walk to Journal Square. The area that is west of JFK is a better section with more 2 family houses. For JC crime standards I would say it's in the middle of the road for overall safety. Not the worst and not the best. Any more questions feel free to ask.JM
hey man, just cuz u got enought info abt jersey city. i m going to be living on the britton st (ie. on the fairmount ave). u think that is a good idea as far as security in concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey