Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 02:39 PM

118 posts, read 163,624 times

Advertisements

Looking for areas that are close to transit to get into Manhattan, the area should obviously be safe but also looking for an area that you can walk around to get to shops, restaurants etc. We currently live in Brooklyn, NY and have always gotten around by transit, foot or Uber. We don't have a need for a car and would like not to have to rely on one now being out of Brooklyn.

Any suggestions for areas we can look into would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 03:00 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
You didn't specify just how long you would like to spend on that commute to Manhattan, and you also failed to provide us with your housing budget, but here are my thoughts:

If you want a walkable community that is as close as possible to Manhattan, the two obvious choices would be Hoboken and downtown Jersey City .

If you are willing to be a bit further afield--but still relatively close--then I would recommend that you consider Montclair.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 PM

118 posts, read 163,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You didn't specify just how long you would like to spend on that commute to Manhattan, and you also failed to provide us with your housing budget, but here are my thoughts:

If you want a walkable community that is as close as possible to Manhattan, the two obvious choices would be Hoboken and downtown Jersey City .

If you are willing to be a bit further afield--but still relatively close--then I would recommend that you consider Montclair.
Sorry about that anything up to 45 min would be fine the closer the better but right now it takes us about 45 min from Brooklyn once on the train.

In terms of budget I am not exactly sure yet I would just like to scope out areas, I would say under 600k is ideal.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 PM

650 posts, read 774,171 times
Union city

Old 12-06-2017, 05:10 AM

186 posts, read 175,483 times
No car in NJ is not ideal . There area lot of things to do in NJ but I think you need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey