Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times

Advertisements

Newton is relatively conservative and has and Newton Memorial has a lousy reputation for heathcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
I don't think it's wise to leave your door unlocked at any time. I live in a suburban town with very, very little crime (the majority of which is teenage vandalism) and I still lock my door at all times, including during the day when I'm inside. Granted, it's always just been a habit, but I do not think it hurts to spend an extra half second simply turning the lock. Crimes have occured in every town and city, so no place on Earth is a crime-free nirvana.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM

23 posts, read 57,614 times
Newark is safe..I leave my door open plenty of Times....never have gotten robbed.....so Newark is a great city to live...planning to move to University Heights.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 PM

16 posts, read 55,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszabita View Post
Newton is a beautiful town but latley I have seen an influx of people I would rather not see here. It is not looking pretty.
I went to the movie theater with a friend at 9 pm in Newton, and it seemed like EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the street was mestizo, and spoke Spanish. Is Newton really like that?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 PM

191 posts, read 394,220 times
With all do respect, I sort of question the the people leaving posts on this site, whether they actually live in this town or are paid to post comments by Newton town council,lol. This town is so far from the safest town in NJ its actually laughable.As far as maybe getting mugged or carjacked or something along the lines of what you might see in a bad ghetto area in Newark or Camden, nah, its not that bad yet.But reading some of these naive threads I kinda wonder if I live in the same town as these people, let me explain. Years ago before I actually moved into town, I met some people who just moved into a house a block or two up from church street.I wasn`t their five minutes before someone who was leaving called the house I was in to tell everyone at the party their was people outside robbing everyones cars on the street. The guy didn`t wanna confront them for fear they were carrying a knife or a gun.I ran outside, found my car ripped apart and everything of value ripped out and the perpetrators already long gone.When the cops finally decided to make a grand appearance after 20 minutes waiting by the car( keep in mind the cop shops about 3 min away) they were quick to try to accuse me of breaking into my own car which was another 10 min argument.They never found my car stereo or any evidence. That was my first taste of wonderful Newton. A couple years later I moved to town thinking that things had changed here and tenements were a little better price than in other spots (biggg mistake).First off the center of Newton is for lack of a better term a drug block, Spring street and its surrounding streets are a haven for drug pushers, junkies and Sussex County jail parolees. The burgularies and thefts in Newton are rampant and happen on a daily basis( The herald will not publicize this but read the township journal and see what I mean). Half of this town is strung out on heroine or crack, no exageration, and Newton is basically the Paterson of Sussex County.Chun bo`s is across the street from Merriam apartments which is the worst drug spot in town, if you dont believe me check out the show for yourself. All day long strung out junkies run in and out of their along with car loads of shady characters, the cops send drug task forces in their constantly to combat the pushers who are supposedly part of an essex county blood set and that place is constantly under surviellance. At night that spot gets a little sketchy if your walking and not driving,but I haven`t gotten into it with anybody their, probably because Im a big guy and Im not looking for trouble although if thats what your looking for you`ll find it in Newton. Not all of Newtons bad, the outskirt neighborhoods are nice but its starting to resemble west orange and east orange in defining socioeconomic lines between areas in town. Bottom line is this towns heading down a slippery slope, believe me theirs more than one reason other towns regard Newton as a run down dump.Do your homework on this place, and see what Im talking about.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I always heard Hackettstown was racist,esp towards minority students who attended Centinary College.
This is from a firsthand account told to me by a black and hispanic student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey