Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 AM

19 posts, read 35,162 times

Advertisements

my landlord lives out of the country but has a bank in the US (BoA). She is asking that I pay my rent through an electronic wire transfer to her account. The problem is my bank charges me $30 for a wire transfer. I suggested using Paypal. She said she would look into it, but for this month she told me to pay with and electronic wire transfer. There's still a week before rent is due and plenty of time for her to look into paypal. So do I have the right to refuse? And to hold back rent until she can give me a way to pay without a fee? Nothing was stipulated in the lease as to the method of payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 06:16 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,726 times
She should cover that cost

Old 12-09-2017, 06:20 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
Pay your rent $30 less than what is normally due and see what she says.
When I lived in Jersey City, my landlord lived part time out of the country. She had another tenant in the building collect all the rent checks for those months and he deposited them on her behalf.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:20 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
If there is nothing in the lease about out to pay, Then Pay the landload by check, (With proof of mailing) to the address of record.

If the Landload wants you to pay to a different address, Like a lockBox, or a agent, have him/her specify it in writing.

If the LL insits it be payed by wire transfer, Send a letter back (to the address of record) that your bank changes a wire transfer fee of $30, For you to continue, you will need to modify the lease arrangement for a $50/month reduction in rental payment. To cover the wire transfer fee, and your additional time it takes you to generate the extra, non lease required paperwork to make the payment.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:27 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
She can access her B of A account overseas, you should not have to pay a $30 fee, I agree with the others, deduct the fee, if she, does not get back to you, re paypal.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:31 AM

324 posts, read 574,909 times
Ask if she will accept a regular bank transfer. I doubt your bank charges for that.

Bank transfers between Bank of America accounts occur instantly. I'm not sure how long it'd take between your bank and BoA, but it shouldn't take more than a couple of business days. It would certainly take less than a week, so there's really no reason for her to require a wire transfer.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:23 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
Ask if she will accept a regular bank transfer. I doubt your bank charges for that.

Bank transfers between Bank of America accounts occur instantly. I'm not sure how long it'd take between your bank and BoA, but it shouldn't take more than a couple of business days. It would certainly take less than a week, so there's really no reason for her to require a wire transfer.
Most banks will not do a EFT from there EBill Pay accounts for "One" check a month, They require dozens or more before they will do the work required to set that up in there systems.

If you have a BOA account you could do a EFT transfer. You could also send a check directly to BOA for deposit to the LL account, ( But I would not recommend it, as BOA Does Lockboxes for things like that, to track them (and charge the account older for it).

Old 12-09-2017, 07:31 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
I would tell her sure but I will deduct the $30 from rent as I should not have to pay that fee for their convenience

Old 12-09-2017, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Read your lease. Most will say something in the rent section like “by cash or check” and give the address where you pay it. Changing any lease terms requires an amendment signed by landlord and tenant. If your lease has unusual language such as “...pay by any method required by the lessor...” then you have to do it.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:01 AM

19 posts, read 35,162 times
Thanks everyone - there's nothing in the lease that stipulates method of payment. the rent section simply says The rent in the amount of $X is due on the 15th of each month and is payable to (Landlords Name). There is nothing noting how to pay.

I checked with my bank and it seems like even the wire transfer may not work to another personal account. I don't feel like it should be my responsibility to try to find a solution, when I am perfectly willing to send a check (which she will not accept)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: