Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 03:29 PM

314 posts, read 547,241 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent transplant to N.J and am interested in
an inexpensive used Jeep. The seller wants $600 which appears to be a solid deal, but I'm concerned I'll have to spend a significant amount of money in order to pass emissions.

How stringent are N.J inspections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 03:40 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Thanks to Governor Creosote, NJ MV inspections now consist of ONLY an emissions check. In other words, irresponsible people can drive into a NJ inspection station on 4 flat tires, with a shattered windshield, no operable lights, and with brakes that are barely operable, and can receive a "passing" inspection sticker IF their vehicle can pass an emissions test.

When they plug their test equipment into the OBD connector underneath your dashboard--or, alternatively for an "older" vehicle, when they put it on a treadmill with a sensor in the exhaust pipe--the reality of the situation is that your vehicle must meet the emissions standards for the vehicle's model year. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If your mystery-year Jeep doesn't meet the established standard for the year of its manufacture, it will not pass, and you are likely to incur significant expenses in order to make that rolling wreck pass the emissions test.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:09 PM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I'm a recent transplant to N.J and am interested in
an inexpensive used Jeep. The seller wants $600 which appears to be a solid deal, but I'm concerned I'll have to spend a significant amount of money in order to pass emissions.

I believe that if the inspoection sticker on the jeep is still valid you may be good to go until it is due for inspection.

the state has send letters, I got one, where they stated the 1989 vehicle is no longer required to be inspected. So depends on the year of the jeep.

Usually if you change the oil, fuel and air filter, put on new plug wires, distributor cap, depends if it is points or electronic ignition, cap needed in both cases, no points with Electronic ignittion, rotor for both, you have the best chance to pass.

Exhaust system must be in good shape for best emmission testing. Many times the EGR valve may also need replacing. Coil is another common culprit that messes with the ignition, cheap fix.

Go see the jeep at night. turn it on, lift the hood in a very dark place. If you see any sparks it means some of the ignition components are grounding and need to be replaced. work that into the price.

All the effort mentioned is easy if you do the work.

"Chris Christie was sworn in as Governor of New Jersey on January 19, 2010,..."

and in august 2010

"New Jersey has become the 30th state that no longer inspects privately owned motor vehicles for mechanical defects. "

N.J. ends auto inspections, limits emissions testing | NJ.com

Old 12-16-2017, 04:27 PM

I am selling my beloved Jeep I have had for 7 years
It now needs a windshield Sunroof fixed Missing
Dent on side back
Interior is worn
Radiator slow leak
Good news Motor and trans are strong
Must go got a new baby(car)
Bring Offers New Price !!!
if u see ad car is available

Vehicle is 2003 Cherokee with 181K. I dont like my chances...

The other vehicle I'm interested in is a '99 Caravan. It's more expensive (I'm on a tight budget) but has a valid P.A inspection. Do inspections transfer state-to-state?

Old 12-16-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Vehicle is 2003 Cherokee. I dont like my chances...
In case you are not aware of this reality, Jeeps tend to fall into the "Much Less Reliable Than Average" category after just a few years of use. After 14 years, I wouldn't expect anything approaching either decent reliability or durability from this high-mileage, clearly-flawed vehicle.

Why would you believe the undoubtedly false seller's statement that the "motor and transmission are strong"?

I don't like your chances either, if you are intent on looking at 14 year old vehicles from one of the absolute worst, least reliable American automotive marques.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 PM

My budget is $800; if the vehicle lasts a few thousand miles I'll be very satisfied. What's your opinion on the Caravan?

1999 Dodge Caravan

mile 140,000

runs great..lots of life

still inspected end of until Dec 2017

Price $900

come by and check it out

Old 12-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
My budget is $800; if the vehicle lasts a few thousand miles I'll be very satisfied. What's your opinion on the Caravan?

1999 Dodge Caravan

mile 140,000

runs great..lots of life

still inspected end of until Dec 2017

Price $900

come by and check it out
I STRONGLY suggest that you invest a few dollars in the Consumer Reports Used Car Buyers Guide, which can be found at Barnes & Noble. If you peruse that publication, you will find that those older Dodge/Chrysler vans have an abysmal reliability rating, with the major problem areas in the transmissions (which are... crap), the motor mounts, and everything of an electronic nature.

Once you find a vehicle that you consider to be worthy of purchase, then you need to have a mechanic of your own choosing do a thorough inspection of that vehicle. You will likely pay ~$100 for that service, but it has the potential to prevent you from buying a money pit.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:02 PM

"No worries I drove it last 4 months probably won't pass inspection without new one
I got sunroof through last inspection
Windshield is on passenger side very drivable"

That is a text from seller who holds a PA license. However the fact that the windshield is cracked will not effect its ability to pass a N.J emissions, so no worries. If the claims re the engine are relatively accurate, I may have a legitimate shot.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
NYS has the lamest inspection, I once was failed for having poor wiper blades. NJ inspection is simple, as long as there are no CEL and your pipe doesn't blow out smelly smoke then you're gonna pass.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:05 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
NJ inspection is 99% if your CEL check engine light is not on. They plug in their scanner to the OBD 2 port usually under the dashboard. The other items I've seen checked are if the gas cap is tight, not leaking, and they drive your vehicle over a camera to check that you have a cat, a catalytic converter in your exhaust pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: