Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 AM

26 posts, read 21,033 times

Advertisements

How long is the commute from Union NJ to NYC(Penn station)? I was looking at a couple of homes in union that were somewhat far from the Raritan valley line, do you think the bus would be a better option, such as the 114, would that be faster? If you live in union nj and commute to nyc, how long if your total commute (door to door) approximately? less then 2 hrs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 12:19 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis92 View Post
How long is the commute from Union NJ to NYC(Penn station)? I was looking at a couple of homes in union that were somewhat far from the Raritan valley line, do you think the bus would be a better option, such as the 114, would that be faster? If you live in union nj and commute to nyc, how long if your total commute (door to door) approximately? less then 2 hrs?
New Jersey Transit - Home

Click on "pdf train schedules" and look at the timetable.

Then do the same with the bus schedule.

It HAS to be less than two hours, though. It's not two hours from Little Silver to NY Penn, and that's a heck of a lot farther than Union.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
New Jersey Transit - Home

Click on "pdf train schedules" and look at the timetable.

Then do the same with the bus schedule.

It HAS to be less than two hours, though. It's not two hours from Little Silver to NY Penn, and that's a heck of a lot farther than Union.
I meant from the time you leave your house to the time you get to work in the city, I know that from union station to penn station ny is 40 minutes but I want to get a feel for the total ride which may include travel to union station and travel from penn station to work, which obviously does amount to time spent. I just want to see if people are doing this in under 2 hours.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:05 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis92 View Post
I meant from the time you leave your house to the time you get to work in the city, I know that from union station to penn station ny is 40 minutes but I want to get a feel for the total ride which may include travel to union station and travel from penn station to work, which obviously does amount to time spent.
If forum members don't know your exact location in Union, whether you intend to walk or to drive to the NJ Transit RR station, and also how fast you might drive, how could anyone provide a reasonably-accurate response?

Old 12-20-2017, 04:16 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Generally Union to Manhattan is not that long,,, there are buses along the larger roads including 5 Points direct into NYC or the train.

You can fairly well click into eEeeEEvil RrrrRracist Google Maps and choose your start and end points and that will calculate the whole trip including walking and making transit connections.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:26 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Yes. Give me your address and what time you leave your house. And what brand of TV you have and what size.

You don't happen to have a Bose sound system, do you?

Old 12-21-2017, 08:25 AM

312 posts, read 686,132 times
I take the 114 from Springfield. The total commute is easily under 2 hours. Taking the 114 from Union will only be faster, assuming you can get to a bus stop in a reasonable amount of time. You would be looking for a house near Morris Ave. that is west of the intersection with US-22/GSP.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:30 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
NJTransit to Newark and then PATH to 14th Street is less than an hour. From my house to work door to door it's about an hour ten and I'm in Cranford, which is about fifteen minutes further down the track from Union.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
I take the 114 from Springfield. The total commute is easily under 2 hours. Taking the 114 from Union will only be faster, assuming you can get to a bus stop in a reasonable amount of time. You would be looking for a house near Morris Ave. that is west of the intersection with US-22/GSP.
How is the traffic during the bus ride, Is 50 minutes really enough from union nj to penn station during rush hour? For the 114 I mean

Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Busses go to Port Authority. The traffic only exists until the bus lane to the tunnel starts, in Secaucus. That said, it's going to vary because it's traffic. Sometimes there's a wreck or there isn't. Sometimes it snows, or it doesn't. I generally add about 30 minutes to the schedule going into the city during rush hour, so I'd say about 120 minutes would be right.

But, like I said, it's going to vary. Your best bet is to just try it once and see how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey