Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:36 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Can you give us an accurate timeline for this mass migration?
When--exactly--will the population of those six counties total... zero?
It's well known in certain circles that the people living there now will engage in a scorched earth policy on the way out and burn their homes as they leave.

Nobody wants to live in New Jersey, it's too popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 02:36 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:

Maybe this will be my chance at buying a home in the suburbs on the cheap.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:45 PM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
I do like how the OP is complaining about not campaigning on affordability, but then is complaining that Murphy will make everyone leave. And if everyone leaves then we'd have a surplus of available property, which would do what? ... Make things more affordable.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:46 PM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Was Kim Guadagno any better? She ran a bad campaign and could have done a better job.

The NJ GOP should be blamed. The Jersey GOP is decimated under Chris Christie.

Have to agree CC gave no thought to republican continuity in NJ.

If you can believe the democrats, you are sexist if you didn't vote for the woman.

A guy who pays 200 k in property tax, according to wiki, might have a tough time representing the vast majority of NJ voters.

Name any elected or appointed goldman alum who amounted to anything or accomplished anything. GS uses political positions as trophies as its alum compete.

Count on Murp raising taxes to make NJ residents squeal in an attempt to gain more democrat votes. All voters are to these uber rich trophy hunters is as playthings on a political chessboard.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:57 PM

856 posts, read 704,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
I do like how the OP is complaining about not campaigning on affordability, but then is complaining that Murphy will make everyone leave. And if everyone leaves then we'd have a surplus of available property, which would do what? ... Make things more affordable.
It's people in suburban and rural communities who will leave, and that's the majority of our tax base. Unfortunately, those in poorer urban areas lack the resources to leave and are stuck. I feel for them because there is a lot of crime and bad schools in places like Newark and Paterson. The politicians and school administrators do quite well in those communities on the backs of suburban and rural taxpayers, but people who live in Newark, Paterson, Trenton etc. don't see any benefit.

I would add that while housing costs will go down if enough people leave, property taxes will go up. Therefore, it won't be less expensive to live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Wow. I don't think you have a firm grasp on the reality of, well, reality. Watch out for black helicopters on your way home.
Chris Christie signed a $1.2 billion tax hike and has increased spending in all of his budgets since 2011. I am very much in touch with reality, you just don't want to admit that Chris Christie's views are more similar to yours than they are to mine. Christie is a fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Happy to help! Happy Holidays!
Happy holidays to you as well.

Quote:
Relax, it's an expression. That said:

Quote:
The U.S. Census Bureau last week released a report on the fastest growing counties in the state.
Sussex County was not among them.
To the contrary, the bureau estimated that Sussex is the fastest shrinking county in New Jersey, shedding an estimated 1,331 persons, nearly 1 percent of its total, between 2014 and 2015.
The loss continues a five-year slide that puts the county on pace to have its first decennial census population decline since 1920.

Annual estimates show that Sussex County's population has declined by 5,592 since the 2010 census, about 3.7 percent, and now stands at 143,673.
Though Sussex is not the only county in the state estimated to be losing population, it is easily the most precipitous.

Other New Jersey counties that lost population in the last five years are Salem, -2.9 percent; Cape May, -2.6 percent; Warren, -1.7 percent; Hunterdon, -1.5 percent; Cumberland, -.7 percent; Camden, -.5 percent; Monmouth, -.3 percent; and Atlantic, -.1 percent.
Overall, the state's population grew by 1.9 percent in that five-year span.
The newest census data is not surprising. The county's plight has been well studied and documented over the past few years.

The consensus seems to be we are facing things beyond our control -- societal trends and desires are changing; a more rural, less expensive place to live is no longer attractive; today's younger demographics, tagged millenials, prefer more urban places with walk-around downtowns and public transportation, closer to jobs. The flight to the suburbs and beyond is over.

There are those here who cheer the exodus from Sussex County, who believe the declining population is a good thing, a correction, a right-sizing, who never welcomed young families, who cringed at the thought of having to build schools, who yearn for the days when cows outnumbered people.
But there are many more who cherish our environs, yet believe that smart growth is possible, who want their children to have the opportunity to stay here and raise their own families, who yearn for job opportunities here, or at least easier commutes to work.

We have volumes of information about what is happening and theories of why. We see the evidence -- the mounting number of foreclosures, towns looking for ways to maintain services on reduced tax bases, retreating ratables, school boards pondering closing schools as enrollments keep falling.
We also have plenty of projections of where we're headed given the current trajectory.
What we don't have is what we're going to do about it.

What we don't have is a concerted effort to reverse the out-migration.

The county freeholders last year attempted to start a discussion, with hopes of formulating a plan or plans.
But that went nowhere fast. The only report from the freeholder board on the subject nowadays is the latest number of foreclosures since the last meeting.

We hear little about what the Sussex County Economic Development Partnership is doing to attract, retain or grow economic development.

A lot of energy and even more hope is being directed toward building on the county's tourism opportunities. That does offer some possibilities, but it's not enough.
The state is content to keep us lean and green, to keep our water flowing to the multitudes to our south.
We should not wait for the ebbs and flows of population to change course. There are causes for those changes.

Let's get our elected state and local representatives together with community leaders and interested, motivated citizens to determine what is working here, what can be promoted, marketed, expanded -- what is needed and how that can be obtained and who can accomplish the task.
Let's address this looming crisis now, before the next census report.
Time to address population loss - New Jersey Herald -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Have to agree CC gave no thought to republican continuity in NJ.

If you can believe the democrats, you are sexist if you didn't vote for the woman.

A guy who pays 200 k in property tax, according to wiki, might have a tough time representing the vast majority of NJ voters.

Name any elected or appointed goldman alum who amounted to anything or accomplished anything. GS uses political positions as trophies as its alum compete.

Count on Murp raising taxes to make NJ residents squeal in an attempt to gain more democrat votes. All voters are to these uber rich trophy hunters is as playthings on a political chessboard.
I agree with what you are saying 1000%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Maybe this will be my chance at buying a home in the suburbs on the cheap.
Then you too can subsidize full-day kindergarten and pre-school for the children of millionaires in Jersey City!

Old 12-20-2017, 03:05 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Chris Christie signed a $1.2 billion tax hike and has increased spending in all of his budgets since 2011. I am very much in touch with reality, you just don't want to admit that Chris Christie's views are more similar to yours than they are to mine. Christie is a fraud.
While we agree he is a fraud, his views do not align with mine at all. He drove up taxes but he certainly used it on the wrong things while blaming others for his budget shortfalls. But that seems to be a Republican ideal these days.

If he'd used those funds to support the unions, Planned Parenthood, the poor, the sick, the environment, infrastructure, or other things to help citizens I'd be down with it. Instead he shuffled money around, took out loans, misdirected funds, and shut down a bridge while avoiding pension fund promises.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:15 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
But what is going to happen to your county when all the people in Morris, Somerset, Warren, Sussex, Bergen, and Monmouth County leave the state?
Quote:
Quote:
Relax, it's an expression.

At best, it is an example of hyperbole that is very far removed from reality.
At its worst, it is a perfect example of an overly-emotional, overly-dramatic plea for attention to over-the-top statements that--once again--have no grounding in reality whatsoever.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
While we agree he is a fraud, his views do not align with mine at all. He drove up taxes but he certainly used it on the wrong things while blaming others for his budget shortfalls. But that seems to be a Republican ideal these days.

If he'd used those funds to support the unions, Planned Parenthood, the poor, the sick, the environment, infrastructure, or other things to help citizens I'd be down with it. Instead he shuffled money around, took out loans, misdirected funds, and shut down a bridge while avoiding pension fund promises.
I'm glad you agree he's a fraud.

You and I are in complete agreement about infrastructure. Chris Christie should have cut spending to fund crucial infrastructure improvements. Ideally, I'd like to get rid of Project Labor Agreements so we can reduce the cost of public works projects.

As far as unions, Chris Christie gave labor unions exactly what they wanted. If we are talking about public sector unions, he should have fully funded the pension system. That said, the Democrats have resisted any reform of our pension and health benefits systems that would reduce debt and protect future retirees. Christie AND the Democrats are to blame. The courts haven't been helpful either.

Beyond that, Chris Christie did spend taxpayer dollars on the priorities you mentioned.

There is no constitutional right to an abortion. Therefore, the government shouldn't be funding Planned Parenthood. That said, Christie did increase funding for women's health care. He also expanded medicaid for the sick.

As for the environment, he never even tried to repeal the Highlands Act and he subsidized a wind farm off the coast of Atlantic City. He's as much of an environmentalist as Barack Obama. I support enforcing clean air and water standards, but I support repeal of the unconstitutional and burdensome Highlands Act. We spend far too much on green energy as well.

Quote:
At best, it is an example of hyperbole that is very far removed from reality.
At its worst, it is a perfect example of an overly-emotional, overly-dramatic plea for attention to over-the-top statements that--once again--have no grounding in reality whatsoever.
You seriously need to learn how to comprehend what you read....

Old 12-20-2017, 05:22 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I did not vote for Kim G. because I met her once. Ever meet someone and take an instant dislike to them? That's what happened. I did not want her to be my governor.

It really doesn't make that much of a difference who the governor of NJ is.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did not vote for Kim G. because I met her once. Ever meet someone and take an instant dislike to them? That's what happened. I did not want her to be my governor.

It really doesn't make that much of a difference who the governor of NJ is.
I supported Jack Cittarelli in the primary, but I voted for Kim to oppose Murphy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey