Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Maybe this will be my chance at buying a home in the suburbs on the cheap.

I've got my eye on some waterfront homes in Rumson. Is 20K too high an opening offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:57 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Have to agree CC gave no thought to republican continuity in NJ.

If you can believe the democrats, you are sexist if you didn't vote for the woman.

A guy who pays 200 k in property tax, according to wiki, might have a tough time representing the vast majority of NJ voters.

Name any elected or appointed goldman alum who amounted to anything or accomplished anything. GS uses political positions as trophies as its alum compete.

Count on Murp raising taxes to make NJ residents squeal in an attempt to gain more democrat votes. All voters are to these uber rich trophy hunters is as playthings on a political chessboard.
Not to make this a Trump political thread, but it must dismay you that he appointed so many to his admin then too, correct?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:59 AM

414 posts, read 359,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
But what is going to happen to your county when all the people in Morris, Somerset, Warren, Sussex, Bergen, and Monmouth County leave the state?

I left Morris County last year for another state - the one political aspect that played a role in my decision to leave was CC's self-serving decision to cancel the rail tunnel. I didn't have to commute to NYC all the time, but there were stretches where I would have to go in daily for months at a time and the commute was usually ~3 hours round trip even though it was only 25 miles. Cancelling the tunnel meant the commute was going to remain lousy for years to come. CC's wife worked in NYC, but my guess is she commuted in via black SUV chauffeured by a state trooper as opposed to train or bus like the rest of us peons.

FWIW, my house in Morris sold in one day, so there's still plenty of demand. As a sign of the times, the buyers were an Indian family where both spouses had good jobs. Yes, NJ is losing residents, but per the NJ.com article someone posted the numbers are offset by immigration. Contrary to the popular belief of some, not all immigrants are illegal day laborers.

Will NJ's demographics be quite different 10 years from now? Probably. Will NJ's property values take a hit in the near future? Perhaps, but the tax bill that just passed congress will likely be the culprit. If Murphy can be a real leader, he will have to come up with real solutions for the sky high property taxes. If he can, then great, and if he can't then he might just serve for one term but he's not even in office yet so see what he does before declaring that the sky is falling. CC was a lot of talk but never came up with real solutions. The only silver lining with the federal tax bill is NJ might be forced to look at ways to trim the fat and come up with real solutions for the looming pension crisis. Rhode Island is one state that was able to successfully do so (and the effort was spearheaded by a democrat).

Old 12-21-2017, 03:11 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's a shame that all of the new arrivals in NJ will have to make an immediate U-turn and leave the state--along with ALL of the long-term residents in those counties:

The population in New Jersey just hit this major milestone | NJ.com
Quote:

So true!
In addition to apparently not reading the article that I linked--which details the recent growth in NJ's population--your sarcasm detector needs a major tune-up.

I'll provide some much-needed help:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Old 12-21-2017, 03:44 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Awwww, that was sweet. You're welcome!
Very well said.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 PM

856 posts, read 704,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
I left Morris County last year for another state - the one political aspect that played a role in my decision to leave was CC's self-serving decision to cancel the rail tunnel. I didn't have to commute to NYC all the time, but there were stretches where I would have to go in daily for months at a time and the commute was usually ~3 hours round trip even though it was only 25 miles. Cancelling the tunnel meant the commute was going to remain lousy for years to come. CC's wife worked in NYC, but my guess is she commuted in via black SUV chauffeured by a state trooper as opposed to train or bus like the rest of us peons.

FWIW, my house in Morris sold in one day, so there's still plenty of demand. As a sign of the times, the buyers were an Indian family where both spouses had good jobs. Yes, NJ is losing residents, but per the NJ.com article someone posted the numbers are offset by immigration. Contrary to the popular belief of some, not all immigrants are illegal day laborers.

Will NJ's demographics be quite different 10 years from now? Probably. Will NJ's property values take a hit in the near future? Perhaps, but the tax bill that just passed congress will likely be the culprit. If Murphy can be a real leader, he will have to come up with real solutions for the sky high property taxes. If he can, then great, and if he can't then he might just serve for one term but he's not even in office yet so see what he does before declaring that the sky is falling. CC was a lot of talk but never came up with real solutions. The only silver lining with the federal tax bill is NJ might be forced to look at ways to trim the fat and come up with real solutions for the looming pension crisis. Rhode Island is one state that was able to successfully do so (and the effort was spearheaded by a democrat).
In certain towns in Morris County, there is demand because millennials are moving to places like Morristown, Morris Township, and Parsippany. But the majority of the population growth in Morris County is the result of people having kids. T

But let's get one thing straight. We already know the solution to the property tax crisis, and that is to rip up the current school funding formula that steals money from suburban and rural taxpayers and instead provide direct property tax relief to everyone. There is no justification for giving 38 school districts 60% of state K-12 aid other than it helps white wealthy liberals get over their guilt about being successful, it gives politicians in poor communities a wedge issue come election time, and it's a win for the teacher's union and the politicians they control. The only way we are going to cut property taxes is to change the school funding formula.

As for the federal tax reform legislation, the rest of the country should not have to subsidize us for electing incompetent out-of-touch radical liberals who refuse to fix the school funding formula. What's interesting is the liberals complain about the elimination of SALT, but more non-Democrats pay property taxes in New Jersey than Democrats.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:09 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
In certain towns in Morris County, there is demand because millennials are moving to places like Morristown, Morris Township, and Parsippany. But the majority of the population growth in Morris County is the result of people having kids. T

But let's get one thing straight. We already know the solution to the property tax crisis, and that is to rip up the current school funding formula that steals money from suburban and rural taxpayers and instead provide direct property tax relief to everyone. There is no justification for giving 38 school districts 60% of state K-12 aid other than it helps white wealthy liberals get over their guilt about being successful, it gives politicians in poor communities a wedge issue come election time, and it's a win for the teacher's union and the politicians they control. The only way we are going to cut property taxes is to change the school funding formula.

As for the federal tax reform legislation, the rest of the country should not have to subsidize us for electing incompetent out-of-touch radical liberals who refuse to fix the school funding formula. What's interesting is the liberals complain about the elimination of SALT, but more non-Democrats pay property taxes in New Jersey than Democrats.
I agree but what you suggest is a "pipe dream". Overall politicians of this state are of a special breed where the teachers union and other organizations are one in the same with them imo.

There's a video on youtube where CC had a meeting with teachers when it was asked of them to contribute a tad more money per month for their benefits - what I got out of watching it is many NJ teachers are a bunch of entitled not thankful for what they have.

Also you're debating with many well off people here as well as liberals, dems and lets keep on going down the same road who cares it won't hurt me type of people.

The rest have gotten sick and tired of "their nerve being struck" from whomever the politician is in NJ.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:20 PM

414 posts, read 359,574 times
Quote:

Meh, NJ is in rough shape for taxes no matter who is running the show (R or D). Eight years of R leadership didn't do a damn thing to improve the situation. As for Planned Parenthood which you brought up before, I strongly believe in women's reproductive rights which D's are more likely to support, but let's just stick to affordable birth control for now and not touch on abortion. Guess what: People are going to have sex no matter what and that can result in unplanned children who could wind up in the Abbott district schools you so bemoan. Maybe more funding towards Planned Parenthood can result in lower taxes. Colorado had a very successful IUD program which saved the state money AND lowered the abortion rate: https://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/3...-low-cost-iud/

You actually have it the other way around for other states subsidizing NJ. NJ is one of the least dependent states for federal subsidies (#39 out of 50): https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/ Granted, there might be a better way to fund schools in NJ, but that will be a huge undertaking. Per my previous post, it was actually a democrat that fixed the pension crisis in Rhode Island - she was state treasurer at the time but now she's governor and the unions despise her: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/b...ing-taxes.html

And Parsippany definitely isn't attracting hip millennials - Parsippany is attracting Indian immigrants, many of whom are well educated and hold professional jobs. Immigrants are keeping NJ afloat.

Last edited by Cubicle Dweller; 12-21-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 09:20 PM

856 posts, read 704,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I agree but what you suggest is a "pipe dream". Overall politicians of this state are of a special breed where the teachers union and other organizations are one in the same with them imo.

There's a video on youtube where CC had a meeting with teachers when it was asked of them to contribute a tad more money per month for their benefits - what I got out of watching it is many NJ teachers are a bunch of entitled not thankful for what they have.

Also you're debating with many well off people here as well as liberals, dems and lets keep on going down the same road who cares it won't hurt me type of people.

The rest have gotten sick and tired of "their nerve being struck" from whomever the politician is in NJ.

Unfortunately, the NJEA leadership doesn't care about students, teachers, and they are ignorant as to the financial realities of our state. They act like spoiled brats frankly. I think the Governor should have made full pension payments because not doing so creates more debt down the road and skipping our obligation is unconstitutional. But the teachers had to make some concessions, personally I'd like to see administrators make the majority of the concessions.

You are right about the "who cares?" mentality. That's what inspired me to start this conversation. Phil Murphy's supporters aren't bad people, they are just overly emotional and in some cases, they lack a basic understanding of economics. I don't approve of Chris Christie and Donald Trump, but I voted for Kim Guadagno because I know that even though I disapprove of Christie and Trump, Murphy is worse than Christie and this state can't afford Phil Murphy. Furthermore, unlike the Democrats, not every Republican is the same. Kim Guadagno is not an authoritarian centrist like Trump or a liberal like Christie. She's too moderate for my taste, but I voted based on the choices I was given, not the choices I wanted to be given.

It's incredibly immature for people to basically say "I have to oppose Christie and Trump even if it means New Jersey will become more like Detroit." People don't really know who Phil Murphy is or what he stands for. They don't know that he's proposed over $1 billion in higher taxes, tripling the state budget, a state bank scheme, more corporate welfare, and continuing the current school funding formula that is the primary driver of property taxes. They don't know that he profited off slave labor as a Goldman Sachs executive, or that he was Barack Obama's Ambassador to Germany during a time when our relationship with Germany became unsteady. Kim Guadagno's incompetent campaign team is partially to blame, but in the end 56% of those who voted on election day either didn't do their homework or acted like spoiled children before going into the voting booth.

Oh, I'll also add one more thing for those who voted for Murphy to oppose Trump. Trump doesn't care what you think. He doesn't care what I think either because I didn't vote for him, but he really doesn't care that you voted for Murphy. What I do care about is all the people who will now lose their jobs and homes because you voted for someone simply to oppose someone else who doesn't care what you or I think.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the NJEA leadership doesn't care about students, teachers, and they are ignorant as to the financial realities of our state. They act like spoiled brats frankly. I think the Governor should have made full pension payments because not doing so creates more debt down the road and skipping our obligation is unconstitutional. But the teachers had to make some concessions, personally I'd like to see administrators make the majority of the concessions.

You are right about the "who cares?" mentality. That's what inspired me to start this conversation. Phil Murphy's supporters aren't bad people, they are just overly emotional and in some cases, they lack a basic understanding of economics. I don't approve of Chris Christie and Donald Trump, but I voted for Kim Guadagno because I know that even though I disapprove of Christie and Trump, Murphy is worse than Christie and this state can't afford Phil Murphy. Furthermore, unlike the Democrats, not every Republican is the same. Kim Guadagno is not an authoritarian centrist like Trump or a liberal like Christie. She's too moderate for my taste, but I voted based on the choices I was given, not the choices I wanted to be given.

It's incredibly immature for people to basically say "I have to oppose Christie and Trump even if it means New Jersey will become more like Detroit." People don't really know who Phil Murphy is or what he stands for. They don't know that he's proposed over $1 billion in higher taxes, tripling the state budget, a state bank scheme, more corporate welfare, and continuing the current school funding formula that is the primary driver of property taxes. They don't know that he profited off slave labor as a Goldman Sachs executive, or that he was Barack Obama's Ambassador to Germany during a time when our relationship with Germany became unsteady. Kim Guadagno's incompetent campaign team is partially to blame, but in the end 56% of those who voted on election day either didn't do their homework or acted like spoiled children before going into the voting booth.

Oh, I'll also add one more thing for those who voted for Murphy to oppose Trump. Trump doesn't care what you think. He doesn't care what I think either because I didn't vote for him, but he really doesn't care that you voted for Murphy. What I do care about is all the people who will now lose their jobs and homes because you voted for someone simply to oppose someone else who doesn't care what you or I think.
You know, if you are really that butt hurt, you could always leave. Sounds like NJ will not be to your liking in the future anyway and will become a certified hellhole, so why not do yourself a favor and make yourself happy instead of wallowing in your misery? I hear Kansas is positively hopping these days...those Brownback tax cuts did wonders for them. A piece of advice though...if you leave, you should probably think about changing your username.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey