Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
wiley - for my education, whats the letter called for decomissioning without a leak? Also, if its certified as decomissioned, whats the advantage of removing the tank? Wouldn't the certification remove liability?
It would be like any other home improvement certificate - from the township a CO.... And most attorney's these days who know anything about the environmental issues with tanks, they will not let their client close on a property with an abandoned tank in place without having the sellers either test the soil or remove the tank. They know better than to just accept the local inspector's litlle white approval sticker. Inspectors nowadays because of all the issues will even write on the approval sticker - "cut, and cleaned - ok to fill". Nothing related to whether or not the tank leaked as a few twp. have had law-suit issues for taking on a role that they are not licensed to take on or certified to take on. Even with my state DEP lic., my certification only means that I adhered to local codes. On abandonments, which I hate doing, I provide a certification that states that the tank was properly cleaned and passed all LOCAL inspections. I won't even address whether or not the tank leaked - I put the burden on the local inspector : ) Too much liability!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:39 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
It would be like any other home improvement certificate - from the township a CO.... And most attorney's these days who know anything about the environmental issues with tanks, they will not let their client close on a property with an abandoned tank in place without having the sellers either test the soil or remove the tank. They know better than to just accept the local inspector's litlle white approval sticker. Inspectors nowadays because of all the issues will even write on the approval sticker - "cut, and cleaned - ok to fill". Nothing related to whether or not the tank leaked as a few twp. have had law-suit issues for taking on a role that they are not licensed to take on or certified to take on. Even with my state DEP lic., my certification only means that I adhered to local codes. On abandonments, which I hate doing, I provide a certification that states that the tank was properly cleaned and passed all LOCAL inspections. I won't even address whether or not the tank leaked - I put the burden on the local inspector : ) Too much liability!
So in the case of an abandoned oil tank, in addition to a letter regarding decommissioning, the best course of action would be to get soil tests as well then. Ok, good to know I don't have an underground tank, but I'm working on getting a second piece of property - now I know in case I run into this. Thanks

Old 03-21-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So in the case of an abandoned oil tank, in addition to a letter regarding decommissioning, the best course of action would be to get soil tests as well then. Ok, good to know I don't have an underground tank, but I'm working on getting a second piece of property - now I know in case I run into this. Thanks
What I usually tell people is, if it can be removed, just take it out! Don't spend money on sampling if you are just going to remove it anyway. And tank testing?? Not a huge fan. I have seen way too many false positive test results. Soil sample say's there is oil in the ground..we take the tank out and there's nothing there! I have had the opposite happen as well - tank passes a tank test, we take the tank out and it looks like swiss cheese! Most homeowner's ins. co. want them out. Had a guy with a brand new, top of the line, double wall in-ground tank that was only 3 years old... homeowner's told him to remove it otherwise they were dropping him.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Ok, slightly confused. If its been decommissioned by a company, and they have included soil tests, wouldn't that remove all liability? Homeowner's insurance wouldn't even factor in, as its covered under the liability insurance of the company who did the decommissioning/soil testing, right?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Ok, slightly confused. If its been decommissioned by a company, and they have included soil tests, wouldn't that remove all liability? Homeowner's insurance wouldn't even factor in, as its covered under the liability insurance of the company who did the decommissioning/soil testing, right?
They left the tank in place and collected samples? Ok, this should be good enough. But... : ))) - I have never been able to collect soil samples from the bottom of an abandoned tank...sides, yes but trying to cut through the thick steel, nearly impossible! You would think the contractor would be liable but most tank testing companies state 99.9% accuracy. So that 0.1% cover's their arse! Is the company still in business? If so, ask the seller to provide you with a certificate of insurance from them : )) Homeowner Ins. Co.'s just wants to make sure that they are not taking on liability for a tank that their current insured has never used! Or liability for one that may eventually leak. They are recommending installing above ground tanks - preferrably in the basement area or garage.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Ok, so for those who deal with an abandoned tank, where removal is going to be a problem, soil samples along with liability coverage from the company doing it would be the second best route?

Removal being best.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Ok, so for those who deal with an abandoned tank, where removal is going to be a problem, soil samples along with liability coverage from the company doing it would be the second best route?

Removal being best.
Yes. Have a paper trail with analytical to back it up and whatever you do, never throw out the paperwork associated with any tank issue!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:30 AM

9 posts, read 63,120 times
We received the documents. Two of them:

"Certificate of Underground Storage Tank Abandonment"
NJ UCC compliance certificate

The UST cert is basically a certificate from the folks who performed the abandonment stating that it was done in accordance with NJDEP and EPA guidelines. The tank was filled with foam. No soil testing seems to have occurred.

This still poses a liability, right?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjoe View Post
We received the documents. Two of them:

"Certificate of Underground Storage Tank Abandonment"
NJ UCC compliance certificate

The UST cert is basically a certificate from the folks who performed the abandonment stating that it was done in accordance with NJDEP and EPA guidelines. The tank was filled with foam. No soil testing seems to have occurred.

This still poses a liability, right?
The one from the contractor puts them on the hook for liability, the one from the twp. says it was done to code...but neither state that the tank wasn't leaking! Tell your attorney to recommend soil testing first. Read back a few about my opinion on foam filled tanks : )

Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
First let me say; welcome to Maplewood, you will love it here!

I agree completely with CuCullin; make sure you get a certificate of decommission. Without it, the cost of removal etc is enormous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey