Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times

Advertisements

What kind of money are you talking about? With the number of houses up for sale, it might not be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjoe View Post
We've offered a novel solution, and the contractor is drafting it. We are willing to eat the cost for removal and testing ONLY IF the removal is successful and tests come back clean. Basically, if we can buy a guarantee of zero liability, we will do so.

Is that nuts?
No you're not nuts! If you are willing to eat the cost - then that's the best for both parties! Did you at least try a cost share option? 50/50? Before you agree in writing, get some proposals from a few contractors... not just the one who did the initial work.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM

9 posts, read 63,136 times
We put a $5k cap on it, and only if it goes well. Oh, and I *meant* that the *lawyer* is drafting it. Not the contractor!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
We put a $5k cap on it, and only if it goes well. Oh, and I *meant* that the *lawyer* is drafting it. Not the contractor!
$5K is more than enough! Who will be responsible for restoration? Carpet, etc. replacement? Make sure you address that issue - don't want to be stuck paying to put it back together if they find a problem. Also, make sure whoever does it, refiles for a new permit! You want this documented down the road that it was removed not left in place if you ever sell.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 63,136 times
Restoring the basement (concrete floor) is a good question. I'll ensure that everything be covered. Our realtor (buyer side) thinks removal of the tank would be impossible without putting the structure of the house at risk. I wonder if that's a real concern.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Restoring the basement (concrete floor) is a good question. I'll ensure that everything be covered. Our realtor (buyer side) thinks removal of the tank would be impossible without putting the structure of the house at risk. I wonder if that's a real concern.
It shouldn't be a concern. Depends on where the tank is located. You can typically expose up to a 5-foot section along the foundation footing before you will have to worry about structural issues. I would sugest that the contractor use slurry to fill the void. They can pump it in and it will set nicely with the concrete floor level plus you won't have to worry about settling issues down the road. Slurry will be a bit more than "huffing" in buckets of stone but you want to make sure it's done right!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:02 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
We've offered a novel solution, and the contractor is drafting it. We are willing to eat the cost for removal and testing ONLY IF the removal is successful and tests come back clean. Basically, if we can buy a guarantee of zero liability, we will do so.

Is that nuts?
yes it is nuts!
it is the the sellers obligation to deliver the home with zero defects, and you should have ZERO exposure to any liabilities from that oil tank. In this market with so many other homes on the market you need to RUN from this house.
You sound like you are emotionally attached to this house and that is a very poor frame of mind to be in when negotiating the terms of any purchase. You need to detach your emotional sentiments or it could cost you dearly.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
First let me say; welcome to Maplewood, you will love it here!

I agree completely with CuCullin; make sure you get a certificate of decommission. Without it, the cost of removal etc is enormous.
The cost of removing a tank is $1500, if there is grass there that needs to be replaced. I know State Farm won't insure a home with an underground oil tanke in place no mater what certificates it has.

Diane G

Old 03-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
The cost of removing a tank is $1500, if there is grass there that needs to be replaced. I know State Farm won't insure a home with an underground oil tanke in place no mater what certificates it has.

Diane G
Diane... do you work for State Farm? I thought your name looked familiar and maybe that's why. I use to do alot of work for / with them. Great company!!! I am a State Farm insured because I see how well they treat their customers : )

Old 03-21-2008, 03:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Do not buy this house, you will get only grief. Don't buy anything with a tank in place. My neighbor had theirs empied and it had already leaked. Lots of Insurance companies won't even insure a house unless its removed. I know State Farm won't.
A house is only ok to buy if tank was removed and the seller has all the right papers. I've personally lived thru this.
When I bought here I said if house has oil heat, I won't buy it.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey