Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times

Advertisements

NJ like much of the northeast has chosen to remain with a colonial style government. Self rule at the lowest level.

Every town has their own police, fire, water, schools, roads to maintain, etc etc . That costs money. You get what you pay for. I don't understand all the discontent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 AM

18 posts, read 13,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
NJ like much of the northeast has chosen to remain with a colonial style government. Self rule at the lowest level.

Every town has their own police, fire, water, schools, roads to maintain, etc etc . That costs money. You get what you pay for. I don't understand all the discontent.
This is not accurate. We are not getting what we pay for.

We pay some of the highest taxes in the country. 99% of the people get the same benefits that we get for a small fraction of our taxes.

When I talk to someone from just about anywhere else in the US, you know what they say about $15,000/year in property taxes for a 60X15' lot? THey talk about their 2 acres with a 2,500sqft 4/3/2 house for $3,500 in property taxes. They get the same fire, police, water, schools, etc. that I do.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:17 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
It has to break before it can be fixed. NJ voters need this wake up call. They voted for this fiscal mess. Now they have to suffer it - both the embarrassment of being deadbeats and the financial pain.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:31 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parked View Post

We pay some of the highest taxes in the country. 99% of the people get the same benefits that we get for a small fraction of our taxes.

When I talk to someone from just about anywhere else in the US, you know what they say about $15,000/year in property taxes for a 60X15' lot? THey talk about their 2 acres with a 2,500sqft 4/3/2 house for $3,500 in property taxes. They get the same fire, police, water, schools, etc. that I do.
The prior posted nailed one reason those property taxes are so high. Paying for town level services and local administration adds up.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,050 times
Quote:
I own a small business. I have 4 middle class employees, 3 with families that they support.

I am debating leaving. The cost of living and the super high taxes are just too much.
"What's the matter with you? Didn't you knock over a gas station or two?"

All joking aside, I do understand! There are other states that pretty much have the same services for a lot less $ that liberals, most dems and "x" amount of repubs in this state DO NOT WANT TO UNDERSTAND!

I'm not hating on NJ, but hating their political $ policies.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 AM

856 posts, read 704,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
It has to break before it can be fixed. NJ voters need this wake up call. They voted for this fiscal mess. Now they have to suffer it - both the embarrassment of being deadbeats and the financial pain.
I agree. But they'll never admit wrong-doing *cough G1 cough*

Old 01-08-2018, 03:24 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
The prior posted nailed one reason those property taxes are so high. Paying for town level services and local administration adds up.

Not exactly, Parked was right in what he said! We lived in Illinois and were paying over $11k for property taxes. Illinois next to NJ has the highest property taxes in the U.S. along with other taxes. We moved to Indiana last year and we get the same city services as we did in Illinois (if not better) and my property taxes for a similar house are now $3K!! The school system is better here as well! States with high taxes are states that are not ran properly by their state government!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:

No, it's true that NJ and a lot of the Northeast has a different style of government. In many other parts of the country, schools are countywide. So are emergency services. Not every state has over 500 municipalities, absurd given our overall size. We have more municipalities than California, the vast majority of which have their own school districts, emergency services, and town-wide snow/leaf removal services as well, stuff like that. Our counties governments don't do much. The biggest things my county does is run the courts and jail, but even then you can be charged or appear in municipal court depending on the crime or reason. There are also the county parks and roads but the county overall does not play a big role in NJ.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:57 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, it's true that NJ and a lot of the Northeast has a different style of government. In many other parts of the country, schools are countywide. So are emergency services. Not every state has over 500 municipalities, absurd given our overall size. We have more municipalities than California, the vast majority of which have their own school districts, emergency services, and town-wide snow/leaf removal services as well, stuff like that. Our counties governments don't do much. The biggest things my county does is run the courts and jail, but even then you can be charged or appear in municipal court depending on the crime or reason. There are also the county parks and roads but the county overall does not play a big role in NJ.
Part of the issue I see with regards to this specific issue is that a more wealthy town will be afraid that a less wealthy town will end up eating up an unfair share of the tax money. Given things like the Abbot ruling with the schools, I'd say it's a fair worry.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM

76 posts, read 81,337 times
New Jersey needs to go to a 21 county school district system. Consolidate the redundant services and taxes will go down.

Having a Superintendent, Principal, Vice Principal, etc., etc. for one, two-hundred student elementary school is obscene!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey